Sherlock

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Sherlock

Postby Slantaholic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Why didn't Sherlock and John arrest her at the end remains a travesty IMO. She's a murderer and a spy - obviously so. She even called herself an assassin! I thought the whole series was a humour/crime drama.

Pity about Sherlock/John and Sherlock/Lestrade. :-( The woman Janine was hot in the wedding episode until the last ep.

I still think Sherlock is bi, and John is bi a bit. I don't think that Mary & baby can die in future eps, and Moriarty returning at the end was a bit like the Master sequence out of Doctor Who, to be expected.
Slantaholic

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:36 pm

Sherlock and John didn't arrest her because they are not police - and no matter what she has done, John has feelings for her. Even Sherlock is prepared to shield her for John's sake.

Humour? It may be funny sometimes, but it is based on the books and there isn't too much humour in those.

I have no idea what you mean by: "Pity about Sherlock/John and Sherlock/Lestrade." :think: Or about Janine.

You think Sherlock and John are bi (sexual?) because you read and write fan fiction. Fan fiction writers tend to be obsessed with such things. Haven't you ever had a close friend the same gender as you, who you feel extremely close to without sexual attraction? Or even a friend of the opposite gender for that matter?

Has Moriarty returned? I didn't see him and really don't know what will happen regarding his message - was the message even from him?

I guess we'll have to wait and see - or make it up and write it down for other fan fictions readers. :hand:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:40 pm

Just to add that Holmes was only rarely interested in the legal stuff, just the intellectual exercise of solving the crime/problem and occasionally even let the perpetrator off in the interest of justice over the letter of the law. He also broke the law on frequent occasions to further his investigations. Watson very rarely rebuked Holmes for this disregard unless it involved manipulating innocent people in the furtherance of his investigations ('The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton' being a prime example as it also bears relevance to last nights episode as one of the intertwined story-lines from the books). :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Jack Remillard » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:33 pm

Spoiler: show
I'm glad we still get to keep Mary even if she is a bit evil. :lol:
Jack Remillard

Postby pip » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:51 am

Don't get the obsession some people have with attributing gay or bisexual leanings to Sherlock and Watson. Its not there . Its not hinted at. Its not a subtle undertone. Its pretty much a fantasy in some peoples minds. If that's what they want to see enjoy it but its a fabrication of there own doing.
IS Moriarty back or is there someone using his image. I'd like to throw a wild guess that a certain female Irish character who has been quite interesting in the background might be stepping forward .
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Jack Remillard » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:07 am

I reckon that
woman in the 'fan club's'

theory was right. It explains so much. :lol: ;)
Jack Remillard

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:51 pm

This episode seems to be largely based on the story: "Charles Augustus Milverton".

In that episode Sherlock gets engaged to a servant in the blackmailer's household, to the disgust of Watson.
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:10 pm

I had thought it was going to be His Last Bow because the episode was titled His Last Vow but you're definitely right Tony. They do tend to intertwine a few of the stories though and alter bits to keep it interesting.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:33 pm

Funnily enough, I was just listening to a dramatization of Charles Augustus Milverton on BBC Radio 4 Extra HERE. :D
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:36 pm

Good timing.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:34 pm

It was very much based on the Milverton story and

at the end to keep to the original story Sherlock had to kill him as in the original he destroys the archive of material Milverton was using for blackmail. As in this version it is entirely in his mind then the only way to destroy it was by killing him

Love the casting as well

with Martins real wife playing Mary and Benedicts actual parents playing his parents :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Penfold » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Having read the books and stories many times, I'm enjoying the 'hunt the reference' game as much as the episodes. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:43 pm

Same here :lol:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Slantaholic » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:54 pm

I have to copy and paste a bit about how many actors they cast that they knew or were related to. *heads back to livejournal* Here it is from a Sherlock fan.

xanthe from livejournal replied back to me with:

The whole thing is a giant family affair apparently - Beryl Vertue, who produces it, is SM's mother in law. SM's wife, Sue Vertue, is a producer too. I didn't really mind about BC's real parents as they are both rather good actors in their own right, and they fit the parts well.

This was after that I learnt from the same LJ user that Steven Moffat's son played young Sherlock.

Nepotism abounds!
Slantaholic

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:50 pm

Probably didn't have to pay him!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre