Raising Steam

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Raising Steam

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:55 pm

Finished it last night, loved it makes me want to read it again. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby lawrenson » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:42 am

Hi,

the slipcase edition hit shops last week.

it wasnt sold out - there were production problems!

Cheers,
karen
lawrenson

Postby vimes4pratchett » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:03 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:I will be sorry when I come to the end of it, love it. :mrgreen:

I always feel like crying when I get to the end of a TP book I get sooooo involved with the story . Aaaargh , I admit it , I want to live on discworld
Just do the job that is in front of you
vimes4pratchett

Postby chris.ph » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:39 am

took my time reading it,just when i was in the bath and thoroughly enjoyed it, i think vrtinari is training moist to take over from him!!!!
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Slantaholic » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:08 pm

chris.ph wrote:
i think vrtinari is training moist to take over from him!!!!
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length

I hoped so too, except most mentors don't keep threatening their proteges, especially with hanging, the iron maiden, kittens, the poker, and death in general. They tend to be in failing mental health, and then need anyone to take over.
I'm just hoping it's not Carrot. I wanted Moist too, but I suspect it'll be Vimes - he's better known disc-wide.
Slantaholic

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:31 pm

Vimes is about the same age as Vetinari - naming him as successor would be a little pointless if Vetinari plans a long life. Why would Terry ever get rid of Vetinari? He's too popular a character and there is no reason why Terry can't keep writing about him for as long as he writes Discworld book. Long live the Tyrant! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Slantaholic » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:49 am

Long live the Patrician, providing he stays sane, healthy and safe. *snuggles him from previous books*
I want to know what happened to him. I prefer him juggling, skipping, and sarcastic; not worrying about him eating, sleeping and drinking alcohol. I've got a picture of him IN MY HEAD dong non-stop paperwork at a barren desk piled with A4 papers, and two plain chairs in front of it for Vimes and Carrot only. I don't know what Pratchett wrote since Thud. It was bad enough with his wobbly chair.
Slantaholic

Postby =Tamar » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:54 am

Slantaholic wrote:Long live the Patrician, providing he stays sane, healthy and safe. *snuggles him from previous books*
I want to know what happened to him. I prefer him juggling, skipping, and sarcastic; not worrying about him eating, sleeping and drinking alcohol. I've got a picture of him IN MY HEAD dong non-stop paperwork at a barren desk piled with A4 papers, and two plain chairs in front of it for Vimes and Carrot only. I don't know what Pratchett wrote since Thud. It was bad enough with his wobbly chair.

We know he acquired a double in The Truth. Who is to say that there wasn't another double we simply weren't told about? I think that for my head-canon I will choose to consider that any odd behavioral lapses might be the double.
=Tamar

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:02 pm

Spoiler: show
I believe that the double "Charlie" was mention in Raising Steam.
Tonyblack

Postby =Tamar » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:06 pm

Tonyblack wrote:[snip spoiler]

Yes, but I suggest that there may have been more than one. That trip took a long time and someone had to make arrangements for the substitution, someone who looked right had to be trained and get the qualifications, and that would have taken time, regardless of who it was.
=Tamar

Postby Jussi » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:19 pm

US cover art:

Jussi

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:46 pm

That's not bad. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:26 pm

Better than the average USA cover Boo Boo. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:41 am

It is!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:32 pm

=Tamar wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:[snip spoiler]

Yes, but I suggest that there may have been more than one. That trip took a long time and someone had to make arrangements for the substitution, someone who looked right had to be trained and get the qualifications, and that would have taken time, regardless of who it was.

But it's the same double. Charlie was in The Truth and then brought back for Raising Steam, he already knew what to do.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels