Favourite character?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:22 pm

Mine, finally is Terry Pratchett. Without him this would not even be here.

edit: ok, ok, Daft Wullie
Last edited by Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:43 pm

moo wrote:I came across this thread and was shocked that i seemed to be the only person to pick Brutha (from small gods) as my favourite character for reasons best known to someone else. A close second was Vetenari. Other characters of note that I feel have been overlooked are Windle Poons, the bursar, stanley howler and King Verence II of Lancre (maybe because he just changed the side of the door he slept on, when he became King)

I like all those too but not top and Stanley only really appears in one ... as well as Brutha - I personally would love to see Brutha again in another book to do with Lu Tze ...

Lu Tze - I love him!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:44 pm

moo wrote:I came across this thread and was shocked that i seemed to be the only person to pick Brutha (from small gods) as my favourite character for reasons best known to someone else. A close second was Vetenari. Other characters of note that I feel have been overlooked are Windle Poons, the bursar, stanley howler and King Verence II of Lancre (maybe because he just changed the side of the door he slept on, when he became King)
Brutha is great - as is the book. Welcome to the forum! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby kakaze » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:31 am

I may have answered this already, but it's Moist (stupid name though) for me.

I think this line sums it up best for me:

Making Money wrote:And what had [Moist] wanted? He'd never sat down to think about it. But mostly, he wanted tomorrow to be different from today.

That's pretty much my life philosophy! :P
kakaze

Postby Phoenix » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:40 am

Choosing only one favourite may well be impossible for me :lol: It depends what I'm in the mood for really, but top of the list is probably Rincewind :D I'm also very fond of Ponder Stibbons, Death, Vetinari and Vimes though! Oooh, and Teppic as well, although that might be because he reminds me of Rincewind and I like Egyptology!
Phoenix

Postby janet » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:32 pm

I'm liking Glenda in Unseen Academicals........she seems to have had the kind of post-Victorian upbringing that I had. Also love Rincewind for opposite reasons.......he's choatic and instinctive with no discipline, only his wits to rely upon. Lady Sybil is my favourite of all though. Kindness and humanity personified.......an absolute treasure.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby janet » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:29 pm

Actually, if you asked me which character I'd be most like.....Nanny Ogg every time..........
retreats singing the hedgehog song.......
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Bully » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:42 am

Hello all, new to the site. I scanned through the pages so far, but thought I'd add my piece.

I'd have to go for Vetinari as my favorite character (an opinion which is supported by my (nearly) father-in-law). Briefly, I love the fact he knows he's a tyrant, but he knows it's the only way to control a city like Ankh-Morpork. I also love the fact that he's always one step ahead of any challenge to him or the city. Finally, I like the fact he has a 'human' side, and still has time for 'Wuffles' *sob*.

Cheers

Bully
While I'm still confused and uncertain, it's on a much higher plane, d'you see, and at least I know I'm bewildered about the really fundamental and important facts of the universe.
Bully

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:45 am

Welcome to the site Bully! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quark » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:45 pm

Not read all that many Discworlds, and I seem to have a reason to 'favourite' almost every main character. It's a difficult choice, but I'd have to go for Ponder, Hex, and Death. Twoflower is also wonderfully gullible.
Quark

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:11 pm

Re-read Hat Full of Sky... Daft Wullie is Still Da Bomb!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Phill » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:28 pm

Vimes for me i think? Or Vetinari? Or Gaspode :lol: Buggerit it's hard to choose !
Phill

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:59 pm

Phill wrote:Vimes for me i think? Or Vetinari? Or Gaspode :lol: Buggerit it's hard to choose !

Good choices! Gaspode is my real favourite - smartypants mutt that he is. :lol:
For the humans I tend to dither between the two V's and Granny-Nanny - I can never decide between them so I tend to treat them as one entity these days
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dandelion » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:23 am

Vetinari - for being what I would expect from a real politician..

.. and Rincewind, as the "eternal coward", but at the same time an example of necessary heroism if there's no way to run.

Although, if by chance or celestial interference or a malfunction in L-Space I would take the place of a character on the DW, I hope I'd come up as the Librarian. Ook!
Fabricati Diem, Pvnk!
Dandelion

Postby Andy M » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:30 am

Ook!!
Andy M

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels