Dodger **Spoilers**

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Dodger **Spoilers**

Postby netr » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:26 am

I'm just halfway through Dodger and had to share something I think hasn't been commented on before. Solomon is repairing a watch and says " I look forward to making a sprocket or two".

When the musical of Dodger comes out, I suggest "you've got to make a sprocket or two" should be one of the major songs, and I can point you to ideal music for it.
netr

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:29 pm

:lol: I hadn't thought of that and I certainly wouldn't put it past Terry to slip something like that in there.

Welcome to the site. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby netr » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:40 am

Thanks for the welcome but I'm not really new. My computer died a couple of months ago and I couldn't remember my old username, so I made a new one.
netr

Postby pip » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:08 am

That happens :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby mirandashell » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:56 pm

I enjoyed Snuff, I thought it was a nice goodbye to the Duke. I'm finding PTerry is telling more than he's showing in these last few books.

But I loved Nation. Could not put it down and the ending was just blissful for me. I wish that had happened in real life.

Dodger not so much. I found it shallow and not up to the standard of earlier YA. It was still a good read but certainly not one of my favourites.
I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?
mirandashell

Postby Slantaholic » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:39 pm

A nice goodbye? It's bad enough as it is to have Vimes as a former alcoholic, addicted to smoking cigars, and now addicted to goblin slavery-grown snuff!
Again, I loved Nation too, and wanted Dodger to be a literal sequel, not set in the same 'world'.
Slantaholic

Postby =Tamar » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:50 pm

Slantaholic wrote: I loved Nation too, and wanted Dodger to be a literal sequel, not set in the same 'world'.

Dodger isn't actually in the same world as Nation. In Nation, there is an entirely different ruler of England. In Dodger, the queen is Victoria.

I would have liked another story set in the universe of Nation. It need not have been a direct sequel; I just like the idea of a completely different succession with very different ideas about individual nations' rights. I'm fond of Joan Aiken's series set in such a world (The Wolves of Willoughby Chase and sequels).
=Tamar

Postby Mixa » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:42 pm

These days I finally read and enjoy “Dodger” (“Perillán” in Spanish). I bought it because everything with the name Pratchett on it is irresistible for me but I was afraid that Dodger could be more of the same. I was completely wrong, nothing’s further from the truth.

Pratchett has surprised me again showing me another facet of his writing style and demonstrating once more his skill to create unique and deep characters.

I saw Dodger as, over all, an amazing display of Pratchett’s knowledge about London and what comes to be the hopeful message of (as they say in Spain): “¡Al loro! ¡Que no estamos tan mal!”“Watch out! We aren’t that bad!”

In Europe there may be poverty and problems with social security among others, but just to think how people managed to survive in places like the 19th century London... :shock: I suddenly feel astonishingly lucky, don’t you?

Moreover, as I said before, I really thought this critique would come through a Discworld style book, but Pratchett knew how to change sides and made me enjoy equally.

Really, at the beginning I started to see DW similarities (as some of you have said) but I believe was just imagining things. Of course you can see where some of his criticisms come from (Ankh Morpork is clearly a mix between London and New York) but this one takes a different way.

On the other hand, it’s true there were parts of the book that were a little repetitive, but each bit shed more light on the matter.

Incidentally, I read Sir Terry wanted to write a sequel. Are there any news about it?

Mx

P.s. I loved Nation the second time I read it, but its ending always makes me sad... :’( I prefer Dodger style endings. :mrgreen:

P.s. 2 Has Snuff to be the last Watch book??? I personally think Vimes development is the best in the whole Discworld... I wouldn’t like to say goodbye to him! :cry:
The good judgement is in the little book
Mixa

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:05 pm

Mixa you should check out Henry Mayhew's excellent book which was the basis of Dodger (along with the works of Dickens). I first read it 15 years ago and still go back to it every now and then.

This is a not very good digital version but the best I can find

http://web.archive.org/web/20080923195808/http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/MayLond.html

as for a sequel well there were hints at convention that this may not be a book but instead a TV or film version as to what happens to Dodger next
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Previous

Return to Latest books