Scariest Villain in the Discworld

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Scariest Villain in the Discworld

Postby vimes4pratchett » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:50 pm

I certainly agree about Carcer ,if only because he actually BELIEVES that he is in the right...TP quite clearly tells us that Carcer has decided that morality does not count for anything and therefore that he (carcer) only has to consider Carcer..i.e that HE is the only person that has any rights.....this is why he truly believes that he is innocent , after all , if only he has rights then no crime has been commited :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .

Another contender has to be Teppics` chief councillor in Pyramids , a man that hog ties an entire civillisation for no better reason that "this is the way that it has always been done , so this is the way that it will always BE done" :doh:

Personally I find some of Pratchetts` concepts more frightening than his villains , and the auditors have to lead the list here , they ARE alive (by most definitions), yet they insists that they are not , and in common with carcer have put themselves above the entire multiverse as a result :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
A very close second place must go to the ( & let`s not bandy words here )...ELVES , who seem to have a lot in common with Dr Who`s the Silence , as both races can manipulate your mind to make you believe that that they are not there....a very hard enemy to fight.
On a more personal level I have to add that to my mind the most frightening monsters of all are the Weeping Angels from Dr Who , Pratchett has yet to come up with a villain who you know will get you because of your own weakness ( I am sure that we ALL tried not to blink after the first time that they appeared) :roll:

Incidentally I totally agree with earlier replies suggesting a story around hex (or a thinking engine like him) being based on 2001. Perhaps a ship "manned " by Vampires ? After all , they don`t need oxygen/food/water until they get there and when they do get there , can be brought to life with a vial of blood :shifty:
Just do the job that is in front of you
vimes4pratchett

Postby Slantaholic » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:19 pm

Carcer's not that scary, he's an idiot who tries to groom thugs in NW, including Nobby. I think he always knew he was due to be arrested by Vimes.
The next scariest one is Jonathan Teatime in fanfictions where he falls in love with Susan. In the book, he's a very weird assassin who strategizes outside of the box.
I always found Vorbis to be the strangest and the last person I would ever want to rule the country if the UK fell into an apocalypse. In the same scenario, I could just tolerate Vetinari as an MP, but not local.
The vampires are next if they all naturally behave like CJ, and though as much as I like the Black Ribboners, - it's hard - but it's like dealing with ongoing coffee addicts.
I'm fine with the elves as they live in small parasitic worlds, but appear to need aid and seem unable to break out of their poaching/raiding behaviours. They need, erm, a lot of help, mostly to encourage their trade.
Incidentally, lots of objects that become alive on Discworld are also scary: the gonne, the shopping trolleys, and
Spoiler: show
Iron Girder. Moist and Dick appear OK with it.
Slantaholic

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:24 pm

Slantaholic wrote:The next scariest one is Jonathan Teatime in fanfictions where he falls in love with Susan.

Yet another reason that I avoid DW fan fiction like the plague. :hand:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm with you on that one Tony. :|
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:00 pm

Same here, the vast distortions of characters and situations in fanfic just make it totally avoidable. Why not read the books instead of making up rubbish that bears no relation to the source material :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Slantaholic » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:45 am

I LOVE FANFICTION! *hits you on the arm* DON'T YOU DARE SAY A WORD AGAINST IT, YOU POISONOUS MONSTER, YOU!
People are learning how to write people when they take on other authors'/creators' characters. We all compare. Lots of reads like the parody up high that Terry Pratchett once wrote in.
I like mostly Watch series fanfiction, which is the most available I think, after all the slash/gay. There's still a lot of Vimes/Sybil out there to counteract all the Vimes/Vetinari, but Polly/Mal is mostly in Livejournal communities, but I've told LJ' Discworld fandom is largely dead these days (Doctor Who isn't).
Slantaholic

Postby Natalya » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:04 pm

My vote: lords and ladies, Cunning Man, Wolfgang from Fifth Elephant. But I haven't read some books from DW' series so far :oops: (about 5)
Best regards! :)
Natalya
Natalya

Postby fids » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Not sure if you can label them villians but the Dromes in wee free men did it for me.

What a way to go, dream yourself to death.
You may be a King or a simple road sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
fids

Postby JamesB » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:52 am

I have to say Vorbis, because he's mostly real and walks about often in different iterations even if to a lesser degree.
JamesB

Postby Natalya » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:04 am

fids wrote:Not sure if you can label them villians but the Dromes in wee free men did it for me.

Initially, I was agree with you.
But scene with last Drome on sea bank made me change my opinion.
Now I slightly feel sorry for dromes :(
They are poor creatures who are so far from their native land... They are predators, yes, but this is not their fault.
I think Tiffany would agree with me...
Natalya
Natalya

Postby fids » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:58 pm

Thats tge problem with the worst villians though Natalya, they don't think they are doing anything worng :mrgreen:
You may be a King or a simple road sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
fids

Postby Natalya » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:33 am

fids wrote:Thats tge problem with the worst villians though Natalya, they don't think they are doing anything worng :mrgreen:

Yes, you are quite right, but if we are speaking about Dromes (and such similar creatures)...
I think, as a rule:
Predator usually doesn't eat more than he need. He kills when he (or his little predatorries :) ) is starving or in big trouble. Killing is not his hobby but remedy for surviving...
Predator usually doesn't want to be Lord of World. He wants only good food and no threaten. Well, he wants something else but not World Power, indeed :)
Predator usually doesn't get joy from his victim's suffering.
Predator usually doesn't deliberately give abasement to his victim's dignity...
I reckon Dromes are just predators, not anything else, not villains. And Law of Nature is working forever. Somebody constantly eats somebody. And if you are inside of Magic World you have to take it into account.
But evil human usually is more than just predator...
Of course, I have not enough information about all possible predators. Thus I maybe quite wrong... :)
Natalya
Natalya

Postby Penfold » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:05 am

Just to play devil's advocate here but my old cat would contradict every single one of your points. :lol:

(Probably proves that there is an exception to every rule.)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Natalya » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:17 am

Penfold wrote:Just to play devil's advocate here but my old cat would contradict every single one of your points. :lol:

(Probably proves that there is an exception to every rule.)

Wow :? ..! But ... ok, cats are exclusive (I have a cat, too) ... :lol:
Seriously:
Yes, there is an exception to every rule, but in general ... a rule is a rule.
As for list of my sentences about predators...
I'm owner of 400-l sea aquarium's system during 7 years. I love to watch life inside it, that's why I was watching many wonderful stories about my sea creatures. And I've had some big and small problems with it (about their feeding, for example). It made me slightly change my opinion about pair 'predator-victim' and Law of Nature :roll:.
In spite of everything, I feel sorry for Dromes.. :( However, I don't mean "Poor Dromes, I want to get you to my world!" . :mrgreen: But if they would to eat only crabs ...
... Oh! :!: Maybe my translation of word 'Villain' is not correct... But I can't call Dromes 'villains', indeed . :?
Natalya
Natalya

Postby Penfold » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:40 pm

I do know what you mean and find it very hard to call them villains myself. (Your translation of the word 'villain' is just fine, btw). :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels