Good news

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Good news

Postby pip » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:13 pm

But she's not a writer. Can't see it happening
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:22 pm

She is a writer.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Not only is Rhianna a writer in her own right but she's also heavily involved with Terry's new production company Narrativia which is making The Watch series (working title CSI Ankh-Morpork :lol: ). Guy Burt is the lead writer for that but she's co-writing and has said she has several new character outlines including a new Igorina in the forensics department with Cheery. This was announced at the last Birmingham DWcon in 2012 and Terry said then that she's really 'gets' Discworld and has his full blessing to develop it after he's 'gone' with Rob and others from Narrativia - the torch is moving on, even if Terry's not the only one holding it! :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby pip » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:40 pm

Tonyblack wrote:She is a writer.

Technically yes but scriptwriting is a very different animal. Some of the games she's been behond are fantastic but I don't see it as a natural progression to writing her dads fantasy.
She's so good at what she's chosen to do so why take on the task if its not what she's taken it on as a career already
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:13 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:On a sadder note he did say there would be a few more until he died, he was quite stoic about saying that. :(

:( It must have been hard to hear him say that.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:52 pm

I took it in the same vein as was said Catch-up, can't let things like that spoil your weekend as that was not the intention.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:10 pm

That's good!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Natalya » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:40 am

This is excellent news! Thank you, Who's Wee Dug! :)
I've started reading "Wee Free Men" some days ago and was so upset because this book was my last book about Tiffany which I'm reading ...! (All the rest of books about Tiffany were read by me earlier).
What a great surprise! :) I'm happy now! :dance:
Best regards! :)
Natalya
Natalya

Postby simmonds91 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:39 am

Apparently Rhianna P wont actually be writing any discworld? According to her she's now (or when her father passes on at least) it's protector, it's a sacred thing which she'll protect even from herself. something along those lines, either way it seems she does realise how precious it is and wont end up mucking the whole thing up.
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Well, good for her.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby TheAnts » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:51 pm

I heard that she was "taking over" the Watch stories, it wasn't clear if this was only for movies, or if she would be aiming to write more.

IMO it would be a good artistic decision not to write more, but it would probably be a good commercial decision to do so :D

The heritage of his work will be safe in her hands, I am sure.

Although fans will surely always argue about what "safe" means!

The live action movies have for me not come up to scratch yet, despite having good bits in them.
TheAnts

Postby Slantaholic » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:25 pm

If she starts co-writing a Discworld book now we could tell the difference. Less purple prose and more feminism, perhaps?
Slantaholic

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:53 pm

I don't think she'll be writing any new novels at all, even when Terry's passed on. She's co-writing The Watch TV series (with Guy Burt as lead writer) so presumably will also be involved with production as well as she's involved in the Narrativia board with Rob and Terry as well (note the long girly hair ;) - the fourth director is Rod Brown who was one of the producers of the Sky Discworld films).

Narrativia is all to do with the rights to Discworld and with The Watch it's kind of going into the long term futures strategy of Discworld as a franchise and for ongoing merchandising. There was talk of some kind of theme park link up for Discworld (shades of Harry Potter World at Universal? :shifty: ) so the mantle that Rhianna's taking on is more of a custodial role than a literary one with The Watch taking pole position if they do develop it any further :think:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:09 am

Can't see a theme park being that popular. I know TP has a huge worldwide following, but it is a bit niche, isn't it?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:05 pm

I have to agree.
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett