Your Recipes

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Your Recipes

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:43 am

As requested, this is a thread for you all to post your favourite recipes - either your own invention, or tried and trusted published one.

Here's mine again to start off. :D

Tony's Guacamole Recipe.

4 fairly ripe avocados
1 large onion
garlic
4 limes
2 large jalapenos
1 large tomatillo

Dice the onion and finely chop the garlic (I use about 4 - cloves of garlic). Chop the tomatillo and jalapenos into smallish pieces (it depends on how smooth or chunky you want the guacamole). Add the juice of the four limes and stir well. add the avocado and then mash the whole thing until you get the desired consistency.

Eat with tortilla chips.

I created this recipe myself and it has had a whole lot of praise - even from Latinos! It has much more of a kick than ordinary guacamole due to the jalapenos and lime juice. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Re: Your Recipes

Postby chillicamper » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:33 am

Malteser Cake - serves 12 - or just yourself :lol:

For the cake
180g soft unsalted butter
180g golden caster sugar
3 eggs
180g self raising flour
25g malted mik powder
25g cocoa powder
4 tbsp milk

for the filling topping
250g0icing sugar
40g malted milk powder
25 g cocoa
125 soft unsalted butter
2 tbsp boiling water
135g maltesers

Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease & line 2 x 18cm sandwich tins. Beat butter and sugar until light/fluffy. Add eggs, flour malted milk/cocoa powder and milk then milx until smooth and creamy. Split mix betreen 2 tins and bake for 25 mins.

Mix icing sugar, malted milx powder and cocoa, then add butter and mix again. Pour on boiling water and mix until it's no longer powdery. Add more water if required. Get 35g og Maltesers and blend/crush until powdery. Scoop out half your icing and mix in the Maltesers then spread over on of the sponges. Put the other sponge on top and use the rest of the icing/Malteasers to decorate.

Hopefully you will end up with something like this. Which I don't think was too bad for my first attempt :D

Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:31 am

Looks great, Chilli! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:43 am

Looks good Chilli. I'm told I'm a pretty good cook so I will have to check quantities when I next do something I would like to share with you all. Unfortunately 'take about this many tomatoes and roughly chop up about this much of something else' isn't going to make it as a recipe :roll: and whilst I know by sight how much I need of each thing I don't always know by weight or volume.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby wicked woman » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:14 am

The Mad Collector wrote:Looks good Chilli. I'm told I'm a pretty good cook so I will have to check quantities when I next do something I would like to share with you all. Unfortunately 'take about this many tomatoes and roughly chop up about this much of something else' isn't going to make it as a recipe :roll: and whilst I know by sight how much I need of each thing I don't always know by weight or volume.

:) Know what you mean, I used to make bread using a mound of flour, a palm of salt and what ever yeast I happened to have. ;) Dread to think what would happen if I told that recipe to a guy with big hands.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Catch-up » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Yum! Looks yummy Chilli. I have never been able to figure out what caster sugar is over here. Powdered sugar?
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Ghost » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:47 pm

copied off yahoo answers
Castor sugar is basically granulated sugar, just taken a step further in the grinding/milling process, some companies thus call it Superfine or "10X sugar"........it was originally produced to be used in cold drinks to disperse and dissolve faster and more effectively than regular granulated sugar.......if you've ever tried to sweeten your iced tea with regular sugar, it doesn't dissolve/disperse well in cold liquids......Granulated sugar can become Castor sugar very simply by whizzing it in a mini food processor for about 15-20 seconds, depending on the amount.....you can even use a CLEAN coffee grinder [think: the little cylindrical Braun ones] for the same amount of time.....BTW, if you ever need to make your own powdered sugar, whiz some cornstarch with granulated sugar till it's the consistency of powdered sugar.....1: .5 ratio, sugar:cornstarch........Enjoy!!!
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:47 pm

It's a very fine sugar that therefore dissolves very easily. You can get it in America under the name bakers sugar

The Mad Collector

Postby Catch-up » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks guys! I'll have a look the next time I'm at the grocery store.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby janet » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:36 pm

Soda Bread
Preheat oven to 190C
Mix together 1 lb plain flour (white or wholemeal or a mixture )
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
enough buttermilk (or half and half mixture of yoghurt and water) to incorporate all the dry ingredients into a
soft dough.
Knead quickly until smooth and shape with floured hands into a round. Place onto parchment covered baking sheet (or non-stick) and score a deep cross across the surface with a sharp knife ie. dividing the loaf into 4 quarters without cutting all the way through. Bake for about 30 minutes in centre of oven until the loaf is nicely browned and sounds hollow when turned over and tapped on the bottom. Give it a bit longer if you think it needs it.
Variations are endless. Adding seeds, nuts, chopped olives, herbs, cheese, different flour combinations, spices etc are all wonderful. I make savoury sodabreads but can't see why sweet versions wouldn't work by adding fruit. Suspect that adding sugar or honey to the mix might muck up the chemistry but if anyone cares to try.......?
I make soup and bread at the same time and it's a meal that is easy peasy but only takes about half an hour and is so satisfying.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:20 pm

Got to have a go at that Janet :D

The Mad Collector

Postby hnorwood » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:32 pm

(Bump this thread up...)
This one always goes down a treat, despite being so simple

Flapjacks

Ingredients
12 oz Oats
6 oz Margarine
2 oz Demerara Sugar
4 tablespoons Golden Syrup

Melt together all the ingredients except the oats. Add the oats and mix together. Put into a Swiss roll tin and bake at 180C / 350F for about half an hour

You can adapt this:
* add 1/2 teaspoon of almond essence
* add some chocolate chips
* add some sultanas or currants
* cover the flapjacks in chocolate before cutting up

(I now always "rehydrate" dried fruit by putting them in a saucepan, covering with orange juice and bring to the boil. Let them simmer for a bit (or if it's an electric hotplate just turn off the power and let the residual heat do it for you) then drain. You can drink the juice!)
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby janet » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:33 pm

Puts me in mind of my favourite quick fruit cake recipe.....feegled from the Be-ro book and oomphed up a bit.
Preheat oven to 160C (Gas mark 2-3 or whatever your oven does.
Prepare by greasing and lining with greeaseproof paper a deep cake tin approx 15cm (6") diameter (one with a loose bottom is best) (I dare ye :lol: )

Place in a large saucepan:
125g butter
125g dark brown sugar
400g dried fruit (currants, raisins, sultanas. glace cherries, chopped mixed peel, dates, figs, apricots anything you like)
145ml water (or a mixture of spirits and water) (or just spirits like whisky or brandy - cheap stuff is good enough!)

Warm all this gently until the butter has melted, giving it a stir occasionally, gradually bring it to the boil then immediately reduce the heat until the mixture is simmering. Simmer gently for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for about 20 minutes.

Have a cup of tea or coffee.

Weigh out 250g of self-raising flour and add a generous teaspoonful of mixed spice powder (the spice is optional).
Find a large sieve.
Beat a large egg in a cup.

Now comes the energetic bit!

Stir up the fruit mixture in the saucepan with a wooden spoon, add all the beaten egg and stir it all quickly.
Put the sieve over the pan and sift all the flour mixture in together.
Stir it up carefully at first then give it a good beating for a few seconds to mix thoroughly.
Put it immediately into the prepared cake tin (it should be wet and will find its own level)
Put it into the middle of the oven.
Bake for at least 1 and a half hours before testing if it's cooked with a skewer or knife blade.
Give it as long as it takes to cook through.
Cool in the tin for at least 20 mins, then on a wire rack.

This cake is better for keeping a day or two before cutting and has a very moist texture.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby wicked woman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:44 pm

Sounds yummy, janet and hnorwood.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Catch-up » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:14 pm

So it turns out that she didn't use a recipe, she just winged it. Here's her description of what she did:

Sweet potato & marshmallow casserole

Sweet potatoes
brown sugar
orange marmalade
crushed pecans
cinnamon

She baked the sweet potatoes ahead of time, peeled them, then cut them into large chunks. She mixed brown sugar with the marmalade into a "marinade consistency" then coated the potatoes with it. She placed them in a glass dish, sprinkled them with cinnamon and crushed pecans. She let them warm most of the way through (hers had time to cool off), then put the marshmallows on top and left it in until the tops of the marshmallows were toasted.

Sorry there are no measurements, temperatures or times. She's one of those people that always makes stuff without a recipe. If I tried that it would probably be a disaster!
Catch-up

Next

Return to The Broken Drum