Caradon Observatory - My First Website

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Caradon Observatory - My First Website

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:43 pm

I've just finished implementing a new website for the Caradon Observatory in Cornwall. A gallery of images taken from the observatory is available here, including this one which was featured on BBC2's Stargazing Live earlier this year.

Any comments or constructive criticisms would be welcome if anyone would like to take a look, this is my first attempt at designing a website. The layout should automatically change to suit devices with smaller screens, such as phones and tablets.
KnightOfFewWords

Re: Caradon Observatory - My First Website

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:57 pm

Swirly thing alert!! :lol:

Looks really very good to me and fabulous pics.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:09 pm

What Tony said. The site also seems easy to use. I'm also very impressed at the quality of the photos taken with the Canon and Nikon. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Or you could come and stay with me! :lol:

We're more or less over the next hill from Upton Cross and the Observatory (which we didn't know was there :oops: ) is on the same side of Caradon Hill as we are, but we're probably a bit higher. The skies are v. dark here especially this time of year when it's frosty - except when it's foggy and the Beast of Bodmin's abroad... :shifty: :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby wicked woman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:13 pm

Looks good.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:49 pm

Looking good well done. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raisindot » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:04 am

KnightOfFewWords wrote:I've just finished implementing a new website for the Caradon Observatory in Cornwall. A gallery of images taken from the observatory is available here, including this one which was featured on BBC2's Stargazing Live earlier this year.

Any comments or constructive criticisms would be welcome if anyone would like to take a look, this is my first attempt at designing a website. The layout should automatically change to suit devices with smaller screens, such as phones and tablets.

I love the images galleries, but the home page itself could use some work. I think it looks a bit cold and institutional. Most observatory sites feature a prominent space image as the central graphic, and use backgrounds that look like space. The solid blue color and the image of the domes doesn't say "space imagery" to me. I'd recommend replacing the domes image with a representative star image (since you already have the three dome image in the logo). I'd also recommend getting rid of the HTML text that flies around when you roll over it--it's a bit of dancing baloney that doesn't serve much of a purpose. I'd recommend changing that HTML title to a more stylized text image, which would give it more style.
raisindot

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:53 am

raisindot wrote:
KnightOfFewWords wrote:I've just finished implementing a new website for the Caradon Observatory in Cornwall. A gallery of images taken from the observatory is available here, including this one which was featured on BBC2's Stargazing Live earlier this year.

I love the images galleries, but the home page itself could use some work. I think it looks a bit cold and institutional. Most observatory sites feature a prominent space image as the central graphic, and use backgrounds that look like space. The solid blue color and the image of the domes doesn't say "space imagery" to me. I'd recommend replacing the domes image with a representative star image (since you already have the three dome image in the logo). I'd also recommend getting rid of the HTML text that flies around when you roll over it--it's a bit of dancing baloney that doesn't serve much of a purpose. I'd recommend changing that HTML title to a more stylized text image, which would give it more style.

What dancing text do you mean?

I do agree with the banner though. Include the domes image somewhere ofcourse, but the banner should be a space shot (or, a long exposure night time shot of the domes with stars in the background could work as well.)

Also, I'd suggest for the gallery list page include a thumbnail of a prominent pic from the gallery in section next to the section name. you have that empty space there, make use of it.

And maybe include links to larger, higher resolution versions of the images (the higher the better. I don't know how big the native raw resolution for those shots are, but if they are bigger, consider linking to them). I instinctively clicked on a couple thinking i'd see a bigger image. and I'm sure others would do the same. (and if you want to go further, you can consider wallpaper size versions as well)

overall it navigates fine, and I like the next page and previous page links that basically lets you browse through every page on the site. Not alot of people do that. Good job. :)
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:37 am

raptornx01 wrote:[What dancing text do you mean?

The "Welcome to Caradon Observatory" section on the home page, it is really offputting as the words leap from side to side in the box.

I agree with most of the comments here, images on the gallery pages and links to high resolution images would be good although that last one may be an issue with your ISP if you get popular. Overall a very good website for your first one congratulations.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:51 am

Thanks for taking a look everyone, and for the useful feedback.

raisindot wrote:I love the images galleries, but the home page itself could use some work. I think it looks a bit cold and institutional.

Ok thanks, I'll have a think about how I can smarten it up a bit. I intend to take some more pictures next time I'm down there.

raisindot wrote:I'd also recommend getting rid of the HTML text that flies around when you roll over it--it's a bit of dancing baloney that doesn't serve much of a purpose. I'd recommend changing that HTML title to a more stylized text image, which would give it more style.

I agree the wibbly text doesn't serve any purpose, it's something I inherited from the template I was given. The text isn't needed at all as the address is now on the contact page. I could replace it with a static astro-image, which would also brighten-up the home page a little, provided I can work out how to edit that part of the template. :think:

raptornx01 wrote:I do agree with the banner though. Include the domes image somewhere ofcourse, but the banner should be a space shot (or, a long exposure night time shot of the domes with stars in the background could work as well.)

That could work well, I took this picture when I was in Menorca recently:

And now I know how to do it I could try something similar at the observatory site.

raptornx01 wrote:Also, I'd suggest for the gallery list page include a thumbnail of a prominent pic from the gallery in section next to the section name. you have that empty space there, make use of it.

Nice idea.

raptornx01 wrote:And maybe include links to larger, higher resolution versions of the images (the higher the better. I don't know how big the native raw resolution for those shots are, but if they are bigger, consider linking to them). I instinctively clicked on a couple thinking i'd see a bigger image. and I'm sure others would do the same. (and if you want to go further, you can consider wallpaper size versions as well)

Good idea, I've added a link the each of the deep sky images to open the full resolution version in a new window. I was originally thinking that people could see the full-size images on Flickr, but not everyone is going to go there.

Jan Van Quirm wrote:We're more or less over the next hill from Upton Cross and the Observatory (which we didn't know was there :oops: ) is on the same side of Caradon Hill as we are, but we're probably a bit higher. The skies are v. dark here especially this time of year when it's frosty - except when it's foggy and the Beast of Bodmin's abroad... :shifty: :P

It's a small world, I went to school at Upton Cross primary - I made the football team when the regular players were struck down by an outbreak of mumps. :D Here's a picture I took of Caradon hill a few months ago.

KnightOfFewWords

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:43 pm

OK, I've successfully de-wibbled the text. I tried replacing it with an image but this caused problems with the layout, so I'll have to leave that for the time being.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby raisindot » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:12 pm

I think it looks better, but having the three domes as the "above the fold" image still reinforce the "beautiful images" theme. If you can't find one image that can fit that horizontal space, maybe you might want fill it with four separate equally sized images to create a collage, or one graphic with four separate shots. I also think that little image of the three domes on top is kind of weird--it almost looks like a button. I'd just make that image itself smaller and move it down the page. People aren't all that interested in what domes look like--they're interested in what the observatory itself can show.
raisindot

Postby Sister Jennifer » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:49 pm

Really lovely photo's. She's a wondrous thing alright.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Catch-up » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:38 am

Looks beautiful! Love the colors and background picture, very eye pleasing.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Return to The Broken Drum