Pratchett's Countries

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Pratchett's Countries

Postby pip » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:37 am

Once you at least got Djelibeybi :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:02 pm

And Quirm seems to be France as in the audio book of Raising Steam Briggs uses a French accent for one of Quirm's inhabitants. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Dotsie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:24 am

I wouldn't take that as proof though.

Welcome back captainmeme! :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:50 am

Likewise, welcome back :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby simmonds91 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:06 pm

One of the protagonists of Soul Music was called Imp Y Celyn who came from Llamedos. His name is welsh, in english it'd be Bud of the holly. I also notice that his name is close to the word harp (telyn. Imp Y celyn... telyn... celyn... telyn...) which he plays. At his home his family erect stone circles and I kinow wales is famous for that sort of thing.
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:53 pm

simmonds91 wrote:One of the protagonists of Soul Music was called Imp Y Celyn who came from Llamedos. His name is welsh, in english it'd be Bud of the holly. I also notice that his name is close to the word harp (telyn. Imp Y celyn... telyn... celyn... telyn...) which he plays. At his home his family erect stone circles and I kinow wales is famous for that sort of thing.

Yes, I think it can be pretty much taken as red that Llamedos is a Disc version of Wales. Not only is it always raining, but Imp won his harp at an eisteddfod. That is a Welsh name for a contest of music and poetry. As mentioned earlier, Llamedos is "Sod 'em all" backwards. In Welsh poet, Dylan Thomas's "Under Milk Wood", there is a fictional town called Llareggub - or "Bugger all" backwards. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Ziriath » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:17 pm

NoThingFjord- Scandinavia
Ziriath

Postby Majblast » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:12 pm

Ankh-Morpork is any large city though after Dodger I suspect Mr. Pratchett prefers London. Even so, he snatches references to other cities as he needs.
Omnia is late antiquity Christian Egypt, being a desert nation across the ocean from Ephebe and filled with fanatical monks. The actual ones from history were real trouble makers.
Borogravia probably is a Balkan nation, though its political situation mirrors the Prussia of Frederick the Great. Fred fought and won against nearly all the great powers in Europe but to the rank and file Prussian it was all quite tedious.
Genua I've always thought was a Renaissance Italian city state (Genua=Genoa) but statements here seem to indicate this was an error.
Majblast

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:35 pm

I always suspected that Genua was a mix of Louisiana and Disneyland. The magical kingdom where everyone has to look right and look cheerful all the time, is very Disneyesque. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Majblyast it was always London before Dodger, he mentioned that a long time ago.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Slantaholic » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Ankh-Morpork's a mixture of London in different centuries, with a dash of America thrown into the surrounding landscape. London, if I recall, lacks alligators in the Opera House basement.
Slantaholic

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:05 am

You have not heard then ,they migrated to the sewers better class of food when people go down to check on the fat deposits. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Previous

Return to Discworld novels