Discworld Monopoly

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Discworld Monopoly

Postby AgProv » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:52 pm

After Making Money came out and I got most of the Monopoly references, I set about designing a Discworld monopoly board based on Ankh-Morpork.

somoebody told me this had already been attempted, but was unable to provide references.

Does anyone know where to look for this, and if nothing ever came of the idea, anyone want to join me with ideas to pick up where I left off?

What would an A-M board, for instance, have by way of utilities (no public running water and certainly no electricity - and as for railway stations...) and what would the wording on Chance and Community Chest cards be?
Last edited by AgProv on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Used to be too clever by half, but by virtue of consistent drinking, now only too clever by about a quarter. Banned from all BBC messageboards for being too much of an "uncceptable editorial risk".
AgProv

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:29 pm

For your public utilities there's always the other sort of water - and genial Harry King (of the Golden River) :wink: and I suppose UU provides power of a magical kind? :wink:

Chance - Fate and/or The Lady? :lol: Community Chest - :? Undead Coffers (Whom's Tomb?) perhaps? The Luggage might be best for that :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:46 am

Chance cards can be 'orrible sometimes but Community Chest are usually good, so taking what Jan said how about;

Chance = Fate
Community Chest = The Lady. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Bickaxe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:21 pm

Rather than stations you could have Guilds
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Macarona » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:14 pm

You could have watch houses for stations.
"'I believe you were an alcoholic sir Samuel'
'No,' said Vimes. 'I was a drunk you have to be richer than I was to be an alcoholic'"
The fifth elephant/The wit and wisdom of discworld
Macarona

Postby AgProv » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:54 pm

Interesting ideas!

Ilike the take on chance and community cards - Fate and The Lady.

Thinking streets: the Brown set (low-value) are obvious: the Old Kent Road becomes Shamlegger Street and Whitechapel Road becomes Elm Street.

The blue set, Angel Islington/Euston Road/Pentonville Road are next and slightly higher in value, but not much: Cockbill Street should be one. Pentonville Road has a prison on it. (and it's right next to the Go To Jail corner.) The Tanty?

Of course, at the high-value deep purple end, Park Lane can stay the same: Mayfair might become Scoone Avenue.

The green set are London shopping streets - so The Maul is a shoe-in for Oxford Street. Regent Street and Bond Street? (Zephyr Street, perhaps - the upmarket choclatiers. And Tenth Egg Street, home to dozens of small traders. )

Strand/Fleet Street/Trafalgar Square (red group) Fleet Street with its association with newspapers must become Gleam Street - home of the Times and the Inquirer. The Strand - University Fronts? Trafalgar Square - Broken Moons Plaza?

Whitehall/Northumberland (purple group ) . Whitehall is the centre of government - Broadway (Patrician's Palace) Northumberland -

Orange group - Bow/Marlborough/Vine. Bow Street is easy - Cable Street, perhaps, given its policing associations.

Yellow group - Leicester Square, Coventry Street, Picadilly.
Picadilly - Pseudopolis Yard?
Coventry - Holofernes Street
Leicester Sq -

The four stations - Guildhouses? (Assassins, Seamstresses, Beggars and Thieves).
Used to be too clever by half, but by virtue of consistent drinking, now only too clever by about a quarter. Banned from all BBC messageboards for being too much of an "uncceptable editorial risk".
AgProv

Postby Macarona » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:33 pm

How could you miss Trafalgar square being Sator square??!??!? :shock:
Sorry it's just more famous
Leicester square could be broken moons Plaza, or you could swap them.
"'I believe you were an alcoholic sir Samuel'
'No,' said Vimes. 'I was a drunk you have to be richer than I was to be an alcoholic'"
The fifth elephant/The wit and wisdom of discworld
Macarona

Postby archerinwood » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:32 am

I agree with macarona.
Please help by looking at my discworld stamp trading list: http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/ ... 80#p612380
archerinwood

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:18 pm

same here
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby argre000 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:52 pm

I think this thread should be called discopoly!

Just sayin.
argre000

Re: Discworld Monopoly

Postby Periwinkle » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:32 am

I wish the powers that be would do an officially licensed Discopoly- I'm sure it would be an instant hit - are you listening Rob? Terry? Can this be done? Pretty please with a cherry on top! :roll:
Peace and be Wild!
Periwinkle

Postby Katblossom » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:34 am

I would get that, sound like a brilliant idea and the potential for some beautiful artwork.
Katblossom

Postby TwoShotTino » Mon May 12, 2014 5:05 pm

I think the utilities could be The Clacks and The Post Office?
TwoShotTino

Return to Games