Re: What Are You Reading? 3

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. Excellent! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:48 am

Is that the one with Richard III?

Anyway, I've just finished Doctor Sleep. Not on the same level as The Shining, but still a pretty good book regardless. I'm pretty sure that I spotted a Doctor Who reference, though, in what happens to the True Knot when they 'cycle out' (that is, die). It's like what was happening to the Master in The End of Time.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:55 am

Quatermass wrote:Is that the one with Richard III?

Yes, that's the one. They have been serialising it on Radio 4 Extra, and Sharlene has always suggested that I should read it, so I have taken the plunge. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:20 pm

Read two good ghost stories while I was sick.

The Ghost Bride:

Li Lan, the daughter of a respectable Chinese family in colonial Malaysia, hopes for a favorable marriage, but her father has lost his fortune, and she has few suitors. Instead, the wealthy Lim family urges her to become a “ghost bride” for their son, who has recently died under mysterious circumstances. Rarely practiced, a traditional ghost marriage is used to placate a restless spirit. Such a union would guarantee Li Lan a home for the rest of her days, but at what price?

Night after night, Li Lan is drawn into the shadowy parallel world of the Chinese afterlife, where she must uncover the Lim family’s darkest secrets—and the truth about her own family.

And This House is Haunted:

Written in Dickensian prose, This House Is Haunted is a striking homage to the classic nineteenth-century ghost story. Set in Norfolk in 1867, Eliza Caine responds to an ad for a governess position at Gaudlin Hall. When she arrives at the hall, shaken by an unsettling disturbance that occurred during her travels, she is greeted by the two children now in her care, Isabella and Eustace. There is no adult present to represent her mysterious employer, and the children offer no explanation. Later that night in her room, another terrifying experience further reinforces the sense that something is very wrong.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby pip » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Have a copy of This House is Haunted but haven't got round to it yet. feel bad because I was at the launch and told John Boyne i'd let him know what I thought of it
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:27 pm

I enjoyed it. The writing style was a little hard to adjust to, but once I got past that it was a good story.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby pip » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Should get around to it by next Halloween anyway ;)
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:35 pm

:lol: Have a big pile of books waiting to be read? I wouldn't worry about it, it's good, but if there's something you want to read more, it can definitely wait.
Catch-up

Postby pip » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:36 pm

That's the nature of the book pile. :lol:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:37 pm

So true!
Catch-up

Postby Ghost » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Catch-up wrote:Read two good ghost stories while I was sick.

The Ghost Bride:

Li Lan, the daughter of a respectable Chinese family in colonial Malaysia, hopes for a favorable marriage, but her father has lost his fortune, and she has few suitors. Instead, the wealthy Lim family urges her to become a “ghost bride” for their son, who has recently died under mysterious circumstances. Rarely practiced, a traditional ghost marriage is used to placate a restless spirit. Such a union would guarantee Li Lan a home for the rest of her days, but at what price?

Night after night, Li Lan is drawn into the shadowy parallel world of the Chinese afterlife, where she must uncover the Lim family’s darkest secrets—and the truth about her own family.

And This House is Haunted:

Written in Dickensian prose, This House Is Haunted is a striking homage to the classic nineteenth-century ghost story. Set in Norfolk in 1867, Eliza Caine responds to an ad for a governess position at Gaudlin Hall. When she arrives at the hall, shaken by an unsettling disturbance that occurred during her travels, she is greeted by the two children now in her care, Isabella and Eustace. There is no adult present to represent her mysterious employer, and the children offer no explanation. Later that night in her room, another terrifying experience further reinforces the sense that something is very wrong.
I love the sound of ghost bride who is it by and if it's a short the name of the anthology it's from please
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Catch-up » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:29 pm

The Ghost Bride is by Yangsze Choo. It was really good!

Catch-up

Postby Ghost » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:59 pm

Feels like Peony in Love by Lisa See
Ghost

Postby Catch-up » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:26 pm

I'll put that on my list, thanks!
Catch-up

Postby Ghost » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:44 pm

and I'll put yours on my list
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books