Pratchett's Countries

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Teppic » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:08 pm

The point about death (with a small d) is people go to where they believe they'll go to - this is mentioned in one book I think. So the Omnians walk around the desert, the sailors stay on a ghost ship, others are reincarnated. I don't think it's that inconsistent.
Teppic

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:16 pm

Teppic wrote:The point about death (with a small d) is people go to where they believe they'll go to - this is mentioned in one book I think. So the Omnians walk around the desert, the sailors stay on a ghost ship, others are reincarnated. I don't think it's that inconsistent.

I agree, this is a good example where the inconsitencies are actually internally consistent.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby rockershovel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:51 pm

that's true.. and Miss Flitwick does not, initially, realise that she is dead and literally "dancing with death" at the harvest dance.

doesn't one of the female characters revert to a younger incarnation, that being the age she feels herself to be "inside"?
rockershovel

Postby Teppic » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:37 pm

That's in Mort isn't it, his first assignment when he meets a witch? Unless there are others in books I've yet to read which also have this idea...
Teppic

Postby rockershovel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:52 pm

checking back, Miss Flitwick's shade is taken back to her youth and reunited with the shade of her fiancee, who has been killed in an avalanche during a smuggling trip.
rockershovel

Re: Pratchett's Countries

Postby Grumpy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:18 pm

captainmeme wrote:I've been thinking about the countries in the Discworld, and how they link to our own, and I saw that most of the Disc countries have a parallel one here, or a religion, or region, etc. Let me show you:

XXXX is Australia. (obvious)
Agetean Empire is China/Japan. (also obvious)
Djelibebi is Egypt. (obviouser)
Omnia seems to be Catholicism in the Middle Ages.
Ephebe is Greece, and therefore Tsort is Troy.
The Ramtops seem to be Tibet, or somewhere in the Himalayas.
Klatch is a bit like Arabia, or the Islamic religion on the whole.
Uberwald may be Romania, or somewhere near, possibly Transylvania.
Borogravia and Zlobenia are part of a large amount of small countries, possibly the Stans? (Uzbakistan, Afganistan etc.) I dont really know that one.
Ankh-Morpork is the Medieval representation of New York.
Quirm is France.
Genua is self-explanatory.

One thing I am stuck on; what are the cities on the Sto Plain? Sto Lat and the others. I thought they may be Italy, because it is a lot of city states, as was Italy in the middle ages, but I'm not sure. Anyone think they know?

If you do see one I've got wrong or missed out, please comment.

Think you've got it pretty much nailed, although I'm not sure about Borogravia and Zlobenia being part of the "stans". But there again, I don't know what else they could be really. :P
Grumpy

Postby rockershovel » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Teppic wrote:
rockershovel wrote:Uberwald is a cod-German version of Transylvania, which is in turn Latin for "beyond the forest". It's a sort of Hammer-horror version of the Carpathians and Central Europe generally.

Slobenia and Borogravia are the minor, perpetually warring states of the Balkans.

The Circle Sea is approximately the Mediterranean, and the countries around it are the Meditarranean states, more-or-less.

Ankh-Morpork is a generic European Renaissance-era city-state in the early books, although its later descriptions are increasingly Victorian in some ways. The jokes about US police depts ( "FABRICATI DEVS PUNC.. " "protect and serve" ) are just that, jokes.

the joke about the Agatean Empire being also known as Auriental = "where the gold comes from" is also a cod-Latin joke, "gold" in Latin being "aurum"

Agreed. Always seen Ankh-Morpork as a version of London; I wonder whether that's because I'm from London and everyone sees their own city in it, or whether the similarities are actually there.

Slobenia and Borogravia are obviously modelled on the Balkans, though the armies fighting seem more to be more English Civil War.

The two I can think of off the top of my head that the opening post missed out are Llamedos, which is obviously a Discworld Wales full of male singers and harp players, and Howondaland, Discworld's Congo.
rockershovel

Postby Natalya » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:06 am

captainmeme wrote:Borogravia and Zlobenia are part of a large amount of small countries, possibly the Stans? (Uzbakistan, Afganistan etc.) I dont really know that one.

Let me break in, as a native speaker of Slavic language :)
No-no-no, not Uzbakistan and not Afganistan, indeed. There are too much sand and too few forests In that countries :).
'Zlobenia' sounds like 'Slovenia' (is real country). Borogravia sounds like mix of 'Moravia' +prefix 'Boro-' . Moravia is real country, too, is situated near to Slovenia. Prefix 'Boro-' is certainly Slavic.
If you try to translate it:
'Zlobenia' maybe comes from Russian word 'Zloba' ( spite, malice )+'-enia' (end in geographical names of many Slavic countries and regions).
'Borogravia' maybe comes from 'Bogoravia' . I would translate this name of country as 'Near to God', or maybe 'Equal to God'. Alternative: 'Boro-' maybe comes from word 'Borot'sya, bor'ba' (fight).
In result we have: Good (or warlike) Small country (with our hero) and Bad Small country :)
I suspect, Sir Terry can speak in Russian :clap: ... maybe... a little...
PS I've been reading 'Monstrous Regiment' now, as you understand... ;)
Best regards! :)
Natalya
Natalya

Postby pip » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:27 am

Did not know any of that so cheers. Very interesting. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:25 am

The more I find out about Terry, the more impressed I get. :) Thanks Natalya!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Natalya » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:44 am

Glad to hear ... :dance:
...When I understood these 'Games with geografical names' I was very impressed by Sir Terry , too! :)
Natalya
Natalya

Postby pip » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:16 am

There always seems to be a new angle I haven't found in a book. That's why its great to read them multiple times
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:11 pm

I'd always assumed Borogravia was named for the line in Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll. :lol:

Twas bryllyg, and ye slythy toves
Did gyre and gymble in ye wabe:
All mimsy were ye borogoves;
And ye mome raths outgrabe
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Natalya » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:57 pm

:lol:
Unfortunately, I can't read such lyrics so far :( I don't understand it at all :oops:
But I know that in Russian translation this line from 'Alice' sounds like 'И хрюкотали зелюки...' = 'I hrjukotali zeljuki...'.
Thus, Small unknown creatures which color is green. They are grunting with rattle somewhere there... Abracadabra! :)
Thus, borogoves (from L.Carroll) means green small creatures in Russian (as Google-translate confirms!)... oh ... :roll: :lol:
Sorry, this was out of topic... :oops:
Sir Terry is international author, indeed :)
Natalya
Natalya

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Don't worry, Natalya. I can't understand Carroll either!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels