How do you feel today? 5

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: How do you feel today? 5

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:39 am

high eight wrote:Not that great - too many people I know dying. Makes me aware of my own mortality.

Sadly it's very much a part of getting older. :(
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:34 am

and this thread is getting old as well Tony, is it time for a new one?
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Dotsie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:38 am

Before it goes, I'll just add my perspective. We'll be sharing parental responsibility with the local authority for the first few months, so on that alone they have a responsibility to make sure we're providing a safe environment. Other hoops we have to jump through include being able to demonstrate we have parenting skills, and that we understand that life after children is very different. If the children go back into care because we decide we can't cope, that would be a devastating blow to them.

Staying calm in the face of hoop-jumping is looked upon favourably :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby pip » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:42 am

I'm more than sure you'll rise to it. If I can manage the alteration you can. Life is definitely different but look on it as an adventure and enjoy it
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:38 am

Absolutely! You're going to make fantastic parents. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:44 pm

Wot Tony said Dotsie :D

If they're fussy where to place dogs (or cats) after they've had a terrible time in the past (for whatever reason), then it follows that you have to be even more careful with children. If you don't then they risk further damage and who'd wish that on a child who's had a history of abandonment or worse. Jumping through the hoops is a good thing! ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:10 pm

:D Thanks all! We're only mildly concerned at our ability to cope with the change :shifty: But we're looking at the big picture and we think it will be amazing :D :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:04 pm

I'm sure it will be fantastic Dotsie :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby pip » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:20 pm

And sleep is over rated . :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby wicked woman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:48 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:
chris.ph wrote:got sent home from work today, bloody doctor said i had a "bug" no s@@t batman :roll: :roll: main problem is im working in an alzheimers ward and a osteo ward in the hospital in bridgend so i cant spread the bug to the oldies, im going in tomorrow and im staying in the car to do my paperwork ;)

Warning psycho releases virus in Hospital while disguised as a workman many infected. ;) :lol:

:lol:

Well done Dotsie. Every step brings your family closer. :D
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Catch-up » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:47 pm

janet wrote:
Quatermass wrote:This is why we need parenting licences, people.

No Q, not always. The vast majority of parents who, by some accident of biology, find themselves holding a brand new tiny human being for the very first time actually are prepared to give that little one their very best shot at a life in which they can fulfill their greatest potential. At that moment of introduction they find a ferocious love inside themselves for their child that they never imagined it was possible to feel. Love that would even kill to protect from outside harm. And, what is more, the majority of parents in the lands where you and I live, Q, do their best to be GOOD ENOUGH parents. They will never be perfect....but who is?
I'm putting the case of the 'good enough' parent today because it was on this day 25 years ago that I pushed into the world the beautiful, wonderful little entity who is my daughter......currently out at the pub with her best friend :lol:
I'm on the side of parents AND kids all over the world.
How do I feel today?
Old :lol: :lol:

Well said Janet! :D And Happy Birthday to your little girl!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Dotsie wrote::D Thanks all! We're only mildly concerned at our ability to cope with the change :shifty: But we're looking at the big picture and we think it will be amazing :D :D

Mildly concerned is reasonable. No one is ever completely prepared. And it will be amazing, because you two will be amazing parents! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby janet » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:19 pm

Love you Susanne! She may be 25 now, but Gilly will ALWAYS be my little girl :lol:
When I came to terms with that fact in my relationship with my own parents, that was when I felt life had been put into perspective and i knew where i was in the grand scheme of things! That was the point when our roles reversed in terms of care and provision but none of us actually said it.
I know that Philip Larkin wrote, 'They f*** you up, your Mum and Dad......', and it's true on so many levels isn't it?
Conversely, no child arrives with an operator's manual and we're all stumbling around in the dark when it comes to parenting!
As the kids, of whatever age, we have a say in all this. The blame culture neglects to mention this.

Dotsie.......you will both be just fine....mum's instinct!

Today, I'm feeling positive! Must have a special aura because all kinds of positive things and meetings happened today :?
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Feeling pretty chuffed just now - simply because I am mistress of my own destiny from hereon! :P I'm on the downhill track now to getting the book out there as today I got the bank account details for the writers editorial services site I'm setting up and this afternoon I got my first batch of ISBN numbers (you have to get a minimum of 10) and Milele Safari will be on the UK ISBN database very soon! :dance:

All I have to do now is get the paperback and eReader files into order (they're pretty much done already just need a few last minute tweaks) and then its off to the print on demand peeps with another cheque but hopefully not too much since all they're doing is taking their print production costs out of the pot so I take the lion's share of the profits after the retailer takes their slice. :lol:

Q - commiserations on your own literary ventures and other career prospects, but if you ever decide to self-publish then come and have a chat 'cos I'm going to be putting out several other titles out in the next 6 months so I should have plenty of practice with the pre-press side of things that I can share around ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:16 pm

Yay, congos Jan! :D :dance:
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum