New Gollancz Editions

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

New Gollancz Editions

Postby pip » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:29 pm

These newly announced versions look great. They'll make a really nice collection.
http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2013/10/announcing-the-discworld-collectors-library/
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Re: New Gollancz Editions

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:39 pm

The cynic in me rises again and thinks "Ripping off the fans again".
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:52 pm

The fans will buy if they want and collectors crave it. If there's a demand they will sell it. I have the whole lot so won't be getting these but its a nice set for a fan starting out
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:58 pm

Has Terry fallen out with Transworld/Harper Collins or summat? :?

No matter - these are 'classics' and a lot of my paperbacks are falling apart from rereading so I may start over with these if they're under a tenner :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby pip » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:02 pm

9.99 RRP but they're about £8.50 on bookdepository so not bad at all.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby =Tamar » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:23 pm

pip wrote:These newly announced versions look great. They'll make a really nice collection.
http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2013/10/announcing-the-discworld-collectors-library/

There's no accounting for tastes. The covers give Binky an extra leg joint and several of them give away the main plot surprise.
=Tamar

Postby pip » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:26 pm

Have to say I don't see the extra leg or the revealed plot surprises . I reckon you can only see them if you know they're there
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:17 pm

Very cool. I like the covers. Can't justify buying a whole new set, but it would be fun. 8-)
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:57 pm

pip wrote:Have to say I don't see the extra leg or the revealed plot surprises . I reckon you can only see them if you know they're there

I think he's talking about the joints not the leg itself - the equivalent of the wrist joint on the near foreleg is exaggerated a little (so it looks like 2 bends not one) to make it look like Binky's galloping.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raisindot » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:09 pm

I'm not overly impressed, designwise. I'd be far more inclined to buy the Kemar-designed versions if they were in English (especially Snuff! :D )
raisindot

Postby Penfold » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:30 pm

Same here. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby pip » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:38 am

Now that would be very cool. I have two of Kemars Calendars on my desk , Discworld and Song of ice and fire and they are just brilliant
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby =Tamar » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:49 pm

pip wrote:Have to say I don't see the extra leg or the revealed plot surprises . I reckon you can only see them if you know they're there

Leg joint, not whole leg... it is probably "just" an exaggerated single joint but it's so exaggerated it looks like an extra leg segment with another joint.

Some naive people still look at the cover and wait to see when the scene will happen in the book. The plot elements revealed on the covers are thus being waited for instead of being complete surprises. That kind of thing can really annoy an author. Sir Terry once wrote an extra paragraph just to get a particular word to appear at the top of the turned-over page; it worked in the hardcover, but some layout artist reformulated the pages for the paperback and it showed up in the wrong place for the intended effect. Sir Terry was not happy about that.

It's almost better to have covers that don't reflect the book at all, which happens so often people don't usually complain about it much. Josh Kirby never did figure out what the witches looked like.
=Tamar

Postby simmonds91 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:55 pm

pip wrote:Now that would be very cool. I have two of Kemars Calendars on my desk , Discworld and Song of ice and fire and they are just brilliant

Please tell me where i can view your kemar discworld calendar online and where i may buy one myself (im a huge TPratchett fan so when i see someone praising something discworld i must take a look, though I have never heard of this kemar person)

I think the new designs are nice but there are two faults with them.
1) like morts cover with binky's leg joint being exhagerated, the design is old (vintage?) it was the same with The Hobbit, I think they make it like that to make the book more... formal, classic etc.? so the exhageration isnt going to be on just morts cover I reckon.
2) They have no life to them. Josh Kirby's designs had so much to them, his designs are so much closer to how i personally percieve the discworld (like the horse in the chalk in the aching series) and Kidby's are also decent but in a different way, his are what the discworld would look like if they came out of the books. the new designs have none of that, they are just dull and depressing, they look nice and organised and thats it... though collectors will like them a lot im sure.
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Penfold » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:42 pm

simmonds91 wrote:
pip wrote:Now that would be very cool. I have two of Kemars Calendars on my desk , Discworld and Song of ice and fire and they are just brilliant

Please tell me where i can view your kemar discworld calendar online and where i may buy one myself (im a huge TPratchett fan so when i see someone praising something discworld i must take a look, though I have never heard of this kemar person

Kemar (Marc Simmoetti) has a thread devoted to his artwork which can be found HERE.

A link to his 'Deviant Art' site can be found HERE which contains stuff like Game of Thrones, Lovecraft, etc. as well as Discworld. It is well worth a visit. :D

Unfortunately, I know nothing about the calenders. :(
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Next

Return to Latest books