Minor Niggles

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Minor Niggles

Postby janet » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:37 am

Catch-up wrote:I sliced a nice little chunk of skin off my thumb trying to fix the zipper on Thing 2's jacket. :roll:

And it will catch on anything and everything you do for days......ouch :cry:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby =Tamar » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:29 pm

My electric power went off about an hour ago. I'll have to go offline. And there's no coffee. I may have to rethink this all-electric cooking thing.
=Tamar

Postby pip » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:46 pm

We went electric oven with a gas hob and its great in such an emergency
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:07 pm

Thanks Janet! Washing my hands has been a special kind of torture. :roll: But, it's getting better.

Tamar, so sorry about your electricity. A gas stove is great in that situation. No coffee is a nightmare. :shock:

New minor niggle: a walnut fell out of the tree, hit my car and broke my antenna off. :( Now I can only get in one country station.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby janet » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:05 pm

In our previous home, in the middle of nowhere (next door to the back of beyond) we had electric cooking and an open fire. The electricity used to go off for days and I would try and cook on the fire......actually it was a big black-leaded range but i could never get the ovens to reach a cooking temperature.........on cast iron trivets which swung over the heat. Good fun in the short term but it helped to start on the lunch immediately after breakfast. My greatest achievement was discovering that if you double-wrapped potatoes in foil and pushed them UNDER the lit fire grate amongst the ashes, they would cook to perfection in about an hour.....bliss!
janet

Postby janet » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:08 pm

Catch-up......it's almost like Newton all over again......a walnut fell and Susanne discovered Country music.
I have no idea which of those events i would find more annoying but I can't stop giggling at the absurdity of life as we know it :lol: :lol: :lol:
janet

Postby chillicamper » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:47 am

Catch-up wrote:New minor niggle: a walnut fell out of the tree, hit my car and broke my antenna off. :( Now I can only get in one country station.

:shock: Was that a big walnut? I didn't think they would be heavy enough to break something off a car??
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby janet » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:03 am

Life gets more absurd......just been loading up my gardening tools for the day's work with rain lashing down in a high wind :? Could be a frustrating day but at least I don't have to go near any walnut trees :mrgreen:
janet

Postby Catch-up » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:57 am

:lol: Glad it's at least amusing you Janet!

They're almost golf ball size Chilli. But I don't know if it's the size as much as the height they fall from. They can easily dent a car. Found that out the hard way. :oops: When they fall off the tree, they're still in the husk, and look like this:

When they're really coming down we avoid the backyard. Wouldn't be pleasant to get hit in the head with one!

Hubby thinks he can replace the antenna pretty easily and inexpensively. Fingers crossed! I don't mind country music once in awhile, but wouldn't want to be stuck with it.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby raisindot » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:48 pm

Catch-up wrote:New minor niggle: a walnut fell out of the tree, hit my car and broke my antenna off. :( Now I can only get in one country station.

Isn't that a violation of the Geneva Convention? :dance:
raisindot

Postby janet » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Wow! Apologies Catch-up! Walnuts over here don't get to quite that size and the trees I've seen aren't tall enough for the things to get up much speed when they fall. There's one place I work where i dread this time of year due to falling apples....really big ones...ouch! Once got pelted with fir cones by a squirrel who swore at me from the top of a tree. They hurt too!
janet

Postby hnorwood » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:08 pm

What swear words do squirrels know? It might be educational to share. It would also be a useful alternative to "Klatchian"...
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby Batty » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:07 pm

I can't believe the number of car drivers who park within striking distance of a horse chestnut tree. Conkers must do quite a bit of damage when they fall.
Mind you, I've been collecting them this year, as we have spiders spinning webs from the wall brackets of our security cameras, so I want to hang some conkers on the brackets.
Spiders can't abide conkers and will avoid them at all costs.
Image Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby chillicamper » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:51 pm

Catch-up wrote::lol: Glad it's at least amusing you Janet!

They're almost golf ball size Chilli. But I don't know if it's the size as much as the height they fall from. They can easily dent a car. Found that out the hard way. :oops: When they fall off the tree, they're still in the husk, and look like this:

When they're really coming down we avoid the backyard. Wouldn't be pleasant to get hit in the head with one!

Hubby thinks he can replace the antenna pretty easily and inexpensively. Fingers crossed! I don't mind country music once in awhile, but wouldn't want to be stuck with it.

I did wonder whether the American Walnut (Juglans nigra??) had bigger nuts than the English Walnut (Juglans regia).......theres probably a joke in there somewhere - but I'd better not say any more in polite company ;) :lol: :oops:
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby =Tamar » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Catch-up wrote:Tamar, so sorry about your electricity. A gas stove is great in that situation. No coffee is a nightmare. :shock:
New minor niggle: a walnut fell out of the tree, hit my car and broke my antenna off. :( Now I can only get in one country station.

My electricity came back on after about an hour. Not nearly so bad as being stuck with country music until the antenna is repaired! That must have been a lucky hit (for certain values of lucky); normally antennas will bend somewhat.
=Tamar

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum