What Are You Reading? 3

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What Are You Reading? 3

Postby Katblossom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm reading The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain Banks. Excellent so far, I love how his stories developed throughout the Culture series. I always loved the Sci-Fi books the most as they were always the most surprising except for The Wasp Factory, which was the most unexpected of them all.
Katblossom

Postby Sister Jennifer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:54 pm

Katblossom wrote:Hmm, I was so looking forward to Eoin Colfer's version but I couldn't finish it, really annoyingly written. Shame.

I didn't really like it either. But hey, it is what it is.

Catch-up wrote:Looking forward to hearing what you guys think of it. I gave up on Stephen King a long time ago.

The Cell was, I think, the last book of his that I enjoyed and that was a few years ago. I read The Dome but skimmed a lot of it. Danny, the kid from The Shining is Dr Sleep. I think it would be worth a read.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Catch-up » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:44 am

If you like it, I may give it a try.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Ghost » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:54 pm

Just finished Ouran high school host club including all the extra bits and even though for the first quarter the artwork was a bit shaky the sometimes ridiculous plot lines kept me hooked though out and I finished all 83+ chapters within 2 weeks
I've revisited Natsume Yuujinchou and this time I hope to complete at least 20 chapters by the end of next week
Ghost

Postby Barchester » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:00 am

Reading Craig Ferguson's "Between the Bridge and the River" at the moment, which is laugh-out-loud funny at times, and very melancholic in places as well. Very good read so far.

And I've just finished Stephen King's "Joyland", in which nothing really happens. It isn't that creepy, there's virtually no horror, but I loved it all the same.
“It is so shocking to find out how many people do not believe that they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.”
Barchester

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:29 pm

Barchester wrote:And I've just finished Stephen King's "Joyland", in which nothing really happens. It isn't that creepy, there's virtually no horror, but I loved it all the same.

That's cool, some of his best books aren't the horror ones. Misery, Dead Zone & The Green Mile to name a few. The Body is a particular favourite of mine.

Happy reading.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Quatermass » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:41 am

I'm starting reading stuff again. I'm starting where I left off with Fullmetal Alchemist, and intend to read a lot of Stephen King (starting with Doctor Sleep), along with Lexicon by Max Barry and, when it comes out, Raising Steam.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby pip » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:45 am

Le t me know if Doctor Sleep is any good. Might pick it up towards christmas
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Barchester » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:51 am

I was thinking of reading Doctor Sleep, too, but then I read that it's a sequel (or prequel) to The Shining, and I still haven't read that one (or seen the film, for that matter :oops: ), so I'll wait a bit.
“It is so shocking to find out how many people do not believe that they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.”
Barchester

Postby pip » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:53 am

Its a sequel so probably best to read The Shining first
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Barchester » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:03 am

Yeah, that's what I figured. Well, it's not as if I don't have anything left to read anyway. The last Pratchett I read was The Last Continent, go figure.
Barchester

Postby pip » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:09 am

Nothing wrong with a big to be read pile. :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Barchester » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:11 am

It's too big and varied here. I buy more books than I read, although I'm sure I'm not the only one who does that :D
Barchester

Postby pip » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:30 am

I tend to preorder books up to 6 months ahead so have a constant steam of new books. Its great to have the choices but can get a tad out of control.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Barchester » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:39 am

Yep, same problem here :)
Barchester

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books