Frustration Thread 4

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 4

Postby pip » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:10 pm

I know you can get it twice but only if the first dose was mild. Pretty much any thing else is shingles which is caused by the same virus which stays in your system.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Cut my right pointing finger last night, right on the tip. I ruddy hurts to type. I think I need to spend the afternoon watching kittens on YouTube!! ;)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:22 pm

No nose picking today. Harsh
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:40 pm

Innit.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Chicken pox - you only get it once. If it reappears, it's either as shingles, or what you had the first time wasn't chicken pox (lots of viruses give you a rash). In a child, chicken pox is mild, but much more serious in adults, and potentially fatal to pregnant women and unborn children. In the UK, 90% of adults have natural immunity, and as it's mild the vaccination isn't routine.

Mumps - mild in children, serious in adults.

Measles - avoid at all costs. Get vaccinated. The disease can be devastating, even fatal, and can also cause long term problems in the form of encephalitis (brain infection) that appears 10 years later.

Sorry about your finger Bouncy ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby pip » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Twice is rare but possible. But shingles is by far the more likely scenario and not pleasant at all.
Its usually a sign of severe stress and worth looking into the background of even after the rash clears
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:47 pm

Reinfection is so rare that if you've had it more than once you could assume that the first infection was something else. Evidence for reinfection tends to be anecdotal, rather than serological.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby pip » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:52 pm

Childhood is full of rashes so misdiagnoses does makes sense.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby michelanCello » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:18 pm

Sorry to hear about your finger, Bouncy! Small finger cuts can be soo annoying...
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby ChristianBecker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:29 pm

True that.
Healing vibes on their way to London >>>
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby wicked woman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Dotsie wrote:Chicken pox - you only get it once. If it reappears, it's either as shingles, or what you had the first time wasn't chicken pox (lots of viruses give you a rash). In a child, chicken pox is mild, but much more serious in adults, and potentially fatal to pregnant women and unborn children. In the UK, 90% of adults have natural immunity, and as it's mild the vaccination isn't routine.

Mumps - mild in children, serious in adults.

Measles - avoid at all costs. Get vaccinated. The disease can be devastating, even fatal, and can also cause long term problems in the form of encephalitis (brain infection) that appears 10 years later.

Sorry about your finger Bouncy ;)

It's normal now to inoculate against rubella (german measles) which is a very mild illness but has a devastaing effect if caught by a pregnant woman.

I know it's easy to mis-diagnose a lot of rashes but chicken pox is so unique - spots with a pimple head which itch like crazy I would have thought that it's hard to mistake that one. Incidentally, our doc said said don't use calamine lotion on the spots. It stings and does nothing for the itching. He said to treat with antihistamine.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby janet » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Sorry to cause such controversy but I did have chicken pox as a child and still have the pock marks to prove it. The second illness was the result of being involved with a play group for preschoolers which was run by my (teacher training) college and several children had chicken pox. One or two of us students had the same symptoms. Examined by college matron and confirmed by a GP. The third time was when I was teaching and again there was an outbreak of chicken pox at school and i got it. Sorry to argue but I know what I had!
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Dotsie » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:14 am

Certainly don't want to argue with you Janet :) but I will say, you are a medical marvel ;)
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:18 am

ChristianBecker wrote:True that.
Healing vibes on their way to London >>>

Danke, Liebling.

(Blame Google Translate if wrong!)

Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:38 am

Hope your finger's better Bouncy!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum