Minor Niggles

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Minor Niggles

Postby hnorwood » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:38 pm

Is it possible they didn't dry out completely after the steam clean?
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:49 pm

I used to work with someone who would load her washing machine, set it going, then leave the clothes in there until they dried, iron them and wear them.

You can imagine her odour!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby =Tamar » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:28 pm

Catch-up wrote:They smell musty and it's driving me insane. I've tried a spray that's supposed to get odor out of fabrics. But then the room just smells like the spray for a little while and goes back to being musty. :x

Have you tried the enzyme sprays? MagicZymes is one of them but there are lots of brands. They aren't just a cover-up in my experience, but if there's mold in the rugs it has to be killed. Have you tried the baking-soda-and-peroxide-and-dish-detergent mix that gets rid of skunk and cat smells?
=Tamar

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Susanne.
You can put white vinegar in your washing machine to get the musty smell out. Just run a HOT cycle with no clothing and put a few cups of vinegar with it.
In the drum, and when it starts to fill after 30 seconds pour some in the detergent box.
Clean under your door seals
Empty your filter
You could also use baking soda in your wash cycle
And leave your door open until the drum is dry.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:10 pm

hnorwood wrote:Is it possible they didn't dry out completely after the steam clean?

They did take the better part of two days to dry, and we used fans and a humidifier to help them along. So I don't think they were wet long enough to account for the smell.

=Tamar wrote:
Have you tried the enzyme sprays? MagicZymes is one of them but there are lots of brands. They aren't just a cover-up in my experience, but if there's mold in the rugs it has to be killed. Have you tried the baking-soda-and-peroxide-and-dish-detergent mix that gets rid of skunk and cat smells?

I have not, but I will, thank you! I don't think it's mold, they weren't damp long enough. In the case of one rug, it may be a case of cheap fibers. The other rug is very good, but we have had it for a long time.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Susanne.
You can put white vinegar in your washing machine to get the musty smell out. Just run a HOT cycle with no clothing and put a few cups of vinegar with it.
In the drum, and when it starts to fill after 30 seconds pour some in the detergent box.
Empty your filter

Thanks Dug! :D My washing machine isn't smelly, but I'll remember to try this if it ever gets that way. I try to just occasionally run an empty hot cycle with bleach.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:50 pm

Put some baking soda in with your rugs that will get neutralise any odor. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby janet » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:08 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Susanne.
Empty your filter

:lol: it was me with the smelly washing machine! I think it's OK now as I've done a service wash a couple of times and leave the door ajar between washes. Problem is that it's a cold fill machine and rarely got used above 30C.
For getting rid of nasty niffs I would always recommend hanging the wet articles out in the fresh air and sunshine (after giving them a vigorous shake to open out the creases). If they're still damp, hang them out another day but don't leave out overnight (Mum said that women leaving their washing out all night were sluts! :shock: )
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Ghost » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:10 pm

:shock: and it leaves you prone to knicker thieves
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby janet » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:15 pm

Thanks for the tips Dug. I'll make note of those :D
janet

Postby janet » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:17 pm

Ghost wrote::shock: and it leaves you prone to knicker thieves

:shock:
Known at college as knicker nickers :lol:
janet

Postby Penfold » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:50 am

I know I whinged about last week's work rota but this weeks is a real cracker. Yesterday, I started work at 1:30pm, finished at 11:20pm, and got home at 1:am. Today, I start at 7:40pm, finish at 5:40am, and get home tomorrow morning around 7:15am (due to having to use public transport). I get up tomorrow at around 11:00am to get into work for 1:30pm and finish again at 11:40pm, getting home around 1:00am or 2:00am. I am really starting to feel too old for this nonsense and my body clock doesn't know what it's meant to be doing. I also know from experience that saying something or complaining only makes things worse (I asked not to be put on the shift that involves closing and moving cash boxes up and down stairs due to my chest problems. I wasn't being given those shifts at the time but wanted to ensure that I didn't get them in the near future; I am now getting one a week and have an entire weekend of them next week.) :roll:

Janet wrote:(Mum said that women leaving their washing out all night were sluts! :shock: )

Did you know the old definition of "slut" was "a woman with low standards of cleanliness" or "a slovenly person". It seems to be one of those words whose meaning has changed over the years :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:56 am

I suppose a letter from your Doctor to that effect would only make them (work) worse?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Penfold » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:59 am

Probably. Actually, it's not too hard but it does leave me wheezing and coughing for about ten minutes afterwards because of trying to keep up with everybody who are rushing because the quicker it's done, the quicker we can get out.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Catch-up » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:56 am

So because you let them know it would be difficult for you, they now make sure you get it? :evil: There are so many things I want to say about that, but they'd all have to be censored.
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum