(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby Ghost » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:30 pm

Ghost

Postby Quatermass » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:59 pm

Sounds like something from Not Always Right. Fun anyway! :D
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:44 pm

"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby chillicamper » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:05 pm

Getting some fresh blackberries and starting on making the Christmas Blackberry Vodka. Also got some frozen raspberries that I had picked a few weeks back and have got some raspberry vodka on the go as well :D

And I have an apple & blackberry crumble in the oven......with a cheeky splash of blackberry vodka in it that I found had managed to escape my clutches during the year! :lol: :dance:
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Quatermass » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:53 pm

I got more things to smile about yesterday. As noted in another thread, I've finished the first draft of a short story, hopefully the first I can submit to a speculative fiction magazine... :think:
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Catch-up » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:22 am

Chilli, that all sounds YUM!

What made me smile today was getting all the rugs steam cleaned.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby jaznbonnie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Just signed another year's lease on our apartment and they are NOT raising the rent. Phew! :D
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby wicked woman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Good news Q and Jazz. :D

Sounds yummy chilli, do you want guests for dinner?
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Watchman44 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:24 pm

THE MAYONNAISE JAR

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day is not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and two cups of coffee.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him.

When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and fills it with golf balls.

He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured it into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls.

He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else.

He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous “YES”.

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

“Now,” said the professor, as the laughter subsided, “I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things - God, family,
children, health, friends, and favorite passions. Things, that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the things that matter like your job, house, and car. The sand is everything else -- the small stuff.” he said.

“If you put the sand into the jar first,” he continued, “There is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are
important to you...” he told them.

“So... pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Worship with your family. Play with your children. Take your partner out to dinner. Spend time with good friends. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the dripping tap. Take care of the golf balls first -- the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.”

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented.

The professor smiled and said, “I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend.”

Feegled from facebook.
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby Dotsie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:25 pm

Bleurgh! Sorry :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Joolz » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:13 pm

Coffee???? Beer!!! :lol:
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby michelanCello » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:50 am

Not today but yesterday: out of the blue, a friend of mine from Romania messaged me in the afternoon that she and her friend were on their way to Berlin, and they were supposed to spend the night in Prague, but they didn't think they were going to make it so do I know any hostels in Budapest?
:doh:
So of course they stayed at my place and we went out for dinner and it was all very nice, I haven't seen her since May, way too long, so I was very happy to have them :)
What wasn't so good is that I was actually supposed to have two of my friends over yesterday night to do some cooking and girly talk, but I had to cancel that: one was very understanding, the other was annoyed because she wanted to be angry with me but knew she had no right to, which might even be worse than if she WAS angry with me :(
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:35 pm

Well SHE won't be getting offered Big Red, then! ;)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Fun that you had surprise guests mC! :D Sorry about your friend being annoyed. That's pretty rude.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby michelanCello » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:39 pm

No it's not, I mean, I was the once cancelling! It's just that I'm already pretty annoyed with myself, no need in her being too :(

But! I still have nice Big Red supply :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum