Ten More Books

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Ten More Books

Postby =Tamar » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Terry Pratchett, the best-selling fantasy author, has struck a 10-book deal with Doubleday and Anchor Books, the publisher said on Sunday.

They say Raising Steam is set to be published in March 2014.
=Tamar

Re: Ten More Books

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:57 pm

Raising Steam is being released in the UK in November.

Americans might like to get a copy in November from Amazon Canada.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:46 am

Great news, but is it just me who thinks that's a bit optimistic?

Don't want to be a downer, but the last time I saw TP on telly, he deterioration was very noticeable.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:58 am

Only a bit optimistic? :|
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Catch-up » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:24 pm

I like it! Let's stay optimistic. :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby raisindot » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:43 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Great news, but is it just me who thinks that's a bit optimistic?

Don't want to be a downer, but the last time I saw TP on telly, he deterioration was very noticeable.

Agree with you, Bouncy. My guess is that most of these books will be collaborations--a la The Long Earth, DW spinoffs, kids books, or "Terry Pratchett's DIscworld" style books written by others.
raisindot

Postby pip » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Maybe Terry will adopt the James Patterson model of "co-writing" 10 books a week.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Yeah, Patterson is a tad prolific!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:33 pm

He produces more crap paper than Andrex
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:04 pm

From Twitter:

Terry Pratchett ‏@terryandrob 8m

The rumour of my ten book deal have been greatly exaggerated.

Terry Pratchett ‏@terryandrob 7m

The majority have already been published in the UK.

Terry Pratchett ‏@terryandrob 5m

The spin is, I am sorry to say, nothing more than PR.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:28 pm

And one more.

Terry Pratchett ‏@terryandrob 41m
The Long Earth is getting a little longer right now.
https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/ ... 44/photo/1
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:10 pm

I posted that on the Long Earth thread! Great minds!

Bouncy Castle

Postby Mixa » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:08 pm

Oooooh… :'( I’m with Catch-up! Let’s stay optimistic and pray for as much more books as we can! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Mx
The good judgement is in the little book
Mixa

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:52 pm

At the latest count there are going to be five books.
From Jason's link to Locus Mag.
‘‘The Long Earth has eaten me up a bit, because we’ve agreed on a contract for five books now. At first we thought we’d do just one book, but the story was clearly too big for one book. The initial contract was for two books, but even there, it was still clearly too big. It’s a bit like my Xeelee universe: we can tell any kind of story we like in that setting. In fact, we can have any kind of Earth we like in there.

‘‘But Terry wants to end it on a James Blish note. He loves Blish, particularly the Cities in Flight sequence and the final novel, A Clash of Cymbals. He loves that – Mayor Amalfi, this practical guy, facing the end of the universe. Terry wants a big cosmic destination, so we’re working on that. I think in the end it’ll look as if the first two books are a two-part novel. Three and four set up this big climax in book five.”

‘‘In book three we go out to a quarter of a billion worlds. Two hundred and fifty million steps, when you’re getting to really strange stuff. Some of it is kind of logic from me, and some of it is more kind of fantasy from Terry.

‘‘And we also get into the physics. For me, with the Long Earth, it wasn’t like one of my regular ideas, where I usually start with the physics or ecology and work it through. This world was given to me by Terry, so it’s more like observation – I had to come up with a theory to fit the observed facts. I came up with some bonkers quantum mechanics stuff to explain the world, and bounced it off people like Ian Stewart, who’s very helpful. I’d been reading around about modern theories of multiple universes – very useful. In quantum mechanics, the world is supposedly splitting constantly into multiple copies – but maybe some of those copies can kind of braid into more coherent forms, so that you end up with a kind of tapestry of realities, like the Long Earth…. Multiple-universe ideas are all over modern physics. Some of these notions make specific predictions and are testable, but it’s really at the fringe of scientific thought.

‘‘I don’t think I believe any of it, though. The world just doesn’t feel like that. It doesn’t feel like you’re splitting into a million copies of yourself every second. I think reality’s a bit more robust. We’ll figure it out some day.’’

Read the complete interview, and biographical profile, in the January 2014 issue of Locus Magazine.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Freebie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:18 pm

It's interesting. I know he has Alzheimer's, but even so I didn't really think that the books could potentially stop in a few years with just a few more books. Those Discworld books seem to be endless!
Freebie

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett