Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby hnorwood » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:09 pm

{more on fryscraper.. see previously}
See "A slight case of sunstroke" by Arthur C Clarke in ""Tales of Ten Worlds" pub 1963. short story orig pub 1958

(Taken me a while to locate it...)
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby Quatermass » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:59 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:8yr old girl dies of internal injuries sustained on her wedding night.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... om-40.html

Words fail.

A couple of words don't fail me. Obscene. Sickening. :(
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Conforumist » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:31 am

You're not even safe with the grandparents anymore:

Inquest told Jeffrey Baldwin kept in locked, filthy room

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s ... -day2.html

very disgusting, :(
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Conforumist » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:38 am

Quatermass wrote:
Bouncy Castle wrote:8yr old girl dies of internal injuries sustained on her wedding night.

Words fail.

You forgot pedophile,

Is this any less disgusting than people being gassed to death?
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Quatermass » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:48 am

Conforumist wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

Words fail.

You forgot pedophile,

Pedophile goes without saying. It goes well with 'obscene'.

If anything, it's more disgusting. At least those gassing people to death wanted them dead. Whereas I am sure that the 'loving' groom wanted his bride to be alive for a while longer. Think about that. You may now scream. And what's the odds that he will get off with a slap on the wrist?

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Conforumist wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

You forgot pedophile,

Pedophile goes without saying. It goes well with 'obscene'.

If anything, it's more disgusting. At least those gassing people to death wanted them dead. Whereas I am sure that the 'loving' groom wanted his bride to be alive for a while longer. Think about that. You may now scream. And what's the odds that he will get off with a slap on the wrist?

It's the vilest of obscenities because this was 'cultural' and probably legal 'in the eyes of god' if the girl had reached puberty. Image

The fact that there was a wedding implies that there was religious and parental consent so the whole damned set-up's just abominably sick. Yemen is lawless and without the most basic of cultural/social restraints so far as women's rights are concerned but, as they don't have significant oil or economic resources, no one will bother to correct the situation any time soon. :evil:

Sometimes I think there is almost a case for a nuclear strike but that would only make the problem spread out and infect other regions - in this case with a similar lack of regard for the dignity of human life.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raisindot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:It's the vilest of obscenities because this was 'cultural' and probably legal 'in the eyes of god' if the girl had reached puberty. Image

The fact that there was a wedding implies that there was religious and parental consent so the whole damned set-up's just abominably sick. Yemen is lawless and without the most basic of cultural/social restraints so far as women's rights are concerned but, as they don't have significant oil or economic resources, no one will bother to correct the situation any time soon. :evil:

Sometimes I think there is almost a case for a nuclear strike but that would only make the problem spread out and infect other regions - in this case with a similar lack of regard for the dignity of human life.

You'd have to nuke a whole lotta countries, including most middle east countries, Pakistan, India, Afghanistan, and huge areas of Asia and Africa where child marriages, rape, and slavery are not only commonplace, but condoned. Come to think of it, you'd have to bomb just about every country in the world, since nearly every day you read about some horrible pervert raping or abusing a child. The only difference is that in western countries there's a much higher probability that these animals who do it will be arrested. :cry:
raisindot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:22 pm

How about a 'scratch' policy now we have the capacity for in vitro repopulation? :think:

First phase compulsory sperm and egg donation for top artists (of all descriptions), scientists and athletes of all racial descent, to be stored in an Armageddon-proof bunker. Next a designer plague to render the global human population infertile. Third phase, when the remaining population reaches an optimum age for viable working life release a limited number of embryos for surrogacy in approved family units at key social levels worldwide and/or terraform a suitable world to receive a viable state-sponsored tailored emigration programme with a charter stipulating that all religious and philosophical bias against contraception and for military ambition be abandoned as a qualification to participation...

Hang on didn't Noah's god try something like that...? :roll: Face it - we're stuck with this sh*tty planet, just be thankful if you live somewhere in the world where your pay packet's the main worry :evil:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raisindot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:42 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:How about a 'scratch' policy now we have the capacity for in vitro repopulation? :think:

First phase compulsory sperm and egg donation for top artists (of all descriptions), scientists and athletes of all racial descent, to be stored in an Armageddon-proof bunker.

I'm not sure I'd want to be part of a world populated only by the genetic descendants of Miley Cyrus, Snoop Dogg, Julian Schnabel, Lance Armstrong, Alex Hernandez, Karl Marx, Britney Spears, Joseph Mengele, Picasso, Jackson Pollack, Madonna, Fred Hoyle, Ozzy Osborne, Maria Sharapova, Britney Spears, Gaugian, Tiger Woods, Beyonce, Miles Davis, Edward Teller, Sylvia Plath, Richard Dawkins, Cecil B. Demille or, heaven forbid, Susan Sontag. :o

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Next a designer plague to render the global human population infertile.

You haven't read the latest Dan Brown pulp thriller, Inferno, have you? :lol:

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Third phase, when the remaining population reaches an optimum age for viable working life release a limited number of embryos for surrogacy in approved family units...

Isn't this a staple of radical feminist literature? Eliminate the men from the contraception process? :lol:
raisindot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:22 pm

raisindot wrote:I'm not sure I'd want to be part of a world populated only by the genetic descendants of Miley Cyrus, Snoop Dogg, Julian Schnabel, Lance Armstrong, Alex Hernandez, Karl Marx, Britney Spears, Joseph Mengele, Picasso, Jackson Pollack, Madonna, Fred Hoyle, Ozzy Osborne, Maria Sharapova, Britney Spears, Gaugian, Tiger Woods, Beyonce, Miles Davis, Edward Teller, Sylvia Plath, Richard Dawkins, Cecil B. Demille or, heaven forbid, Susan Sontag. :o

:lol: Well 'top' doesn't necessarily take in merit, but obviously there'd have to be some kind of criteria applied - Madonna would be too old to contribute her sub-standard gametes and Lance Armstrong's 'habits' would render him ineligible - ditto dead people 'talented' or otherwise regardless of descendants unless they themselves were qualified in an accepted category... :P

raisindot wrote:You haven't read the latest Dan Brown pulp thriller, Inferno, have you? :lol:

Never picked up a Dan Brown - obviously I'm on some sort of omniscient psychic plane :eusa-whistle:

raisindot wrote:Isn't this a staple of radical feminist literature? Eliminate the men from the contraception process? :lol:

Hey - they've done it haven't they? :o So long as you agree to rent out a suitable body cavity I'm sure an equal opportunities program could be devised :shifty:

Or we could follow Douglas Adams' Golgafrincham 'B' Ark policy and put all the useless sections of the population (hairdressers, telephone sanitizers, management consultants, PR/advertising execs etc) onto a spaceship to prepare for the new world and not bother to load up the A and C arks that would comprise the movers and shakers and the truly useful occupations (plumbers, carpenters and doctors et al) and everyone could live fairly peacefully and productively? :P
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:45 am

Jan, you absolutely need to read Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake.

Also, please make sure we keep a few hairdressers.... assuming I'd be classed as useful, anyway? :shifty:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:19 am

I'm on the same lines, Jan. Except I'd prefer to just drop a contraceptive bomb, and randomise those who survive with their procreational faculties intact. :roll:

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:08 am

dotsie wrote:Also, please make sure we keep a few hairdressers.... assuming I'd be classed as useful, anyway? :shifty:

Well maybe some hairdressers can be classed as 'artistes' :P Come to think of it DA called them 'stylists' and left hair out of it altogether so perhaps I was being unduly critical... :lol: Actually cutting your hair is easy-peasy - just gather into a ponytail about 2 inches back from your forehead hairline secure firmly then cut off about a half inch from the tie at the root end with a large sharp pair of scissors/shears et voila! Trim your fringe to taste/brow level as desired :whistle:

And I was thinking of Gattaca and The Handmaid's Tale as well as the Golgafrinchams ;)

Q wrote:I'm on the same lines, Jan. Except I'd prefer to just drop a contraceptive bomb, and randomise those who survive with their procreational faculties intact. :roll:

That may have some merit, but let's face it - random's got us into this mess so at least we could have 'somebody' to absolutely blame if it still goes pear-shaped :think:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:19 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
Q wrote:I'm on the same lines, Jan. Except I'd prefer to just drop a contraceptive bomb, and randomise those who survive with their procreational faculties intact. :roll:

That may have some merit, but let's face it - random's got us into this mess so at least we could have 'somebody' to absolutely blame if it still goes pear-shaped :think:

I'm an equal-opportunity human hater. The technical term (I'm sure you know this, Jan) is 'misanthrope'. :D

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby raisindot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Quatermass wrote:I'm on the same lines, Jan. Except I'd prefer to just drop a contraceptive bomb, and randomise those who survive with their procreational faculties intact. :roll:

Have YOU read Dan Brown's new novel, Inferno, Q? :D
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum