Help I Need Your Votes (Again)

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Help I Need Your Votes (Again)

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed May 08, 2013 5:49 pm

That's a great haul there Penners :D now the next challenge is to work out how to defend them next year ;)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed May 08, 2013 6:18 pm

An impressive haul there Peners well done. :clap: :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:53 am

Camera Club season is back with a bang and this year I find myself on the committee, pretty much as a general dogsbody although I seem to have been seconded into helping with membership and doorman duties, along with one or two events.

No competitions just yet but I have managed to allow myself to be talked into doing a five week exhibition on the run up to Christmas. This will be my first properly commercial one and will consist of twelve pics selling for around £25 each (A3 size print on a 20" x 16" mount) with each costing me around £7 to produce. Each pic will be local to Worthing/Sussex and I was considering selling these pics as part of signed, limited editions of ten in the hope that the guaranteed rarity might provoke more interest (I'm only going to have five done at a time and will take orders for the rest depending on sales). This will represent an outlay of approximately £420 + £80 rental for the five weeks. The location is an art gallery/coffee shop in central Worthing and is very busy. The people who run it sell the pics on your behalf with no commission other than space rental.

The problem I have is that I have never done anything like this before so any advice or suggestions (not including 'give up now') would be welcome. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Batty » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:08 am

Can't offer you any advice, Penfold, but if you sell the ruined church as one of your limited editions, can I be your first buyer?
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:55 am

:clap: Well done Penners - these gallery deals are a great idea, especially with the exhibition side of it. And the run up to Xmas is an even better idea for locals with pressies to buy! ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:11 pm

Penners, you'll be rich and famous! :D :clap:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Sister Jennifer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:41 am

A description of location etc beside each print. Maybe a small blurb on why you took the photo & the tech side of it. I know I'm always interested in reading that kind of stuff.

Best of luck to ya!
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:16 am

Good luck Penners, although I buy a lot of art I've never bought a photograph but I know there is definitely a market for them especially at the price point you are suggesting. How will they be displayed if they are just mounted rather than framed? I'd be concerned about damage to the mount and customers wanting them re-mounted when they buy them.

The Mad Collector

Postby Penfold » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:52 am

The thought had occurred to me as well Mad but my friend (who does sell his pics) advised against selling in frames as the buyer nearly always wanted it done differently (brown frame, wanted a black frame; black frame, wanted a white one; etc.). The pics will be mounted and left to the customer to supply the frame with the gallery holding the rest of the pics in stock. The ones on show will be 'shop window' stuff and shouldn't be handled by anyone else other than the gallery staff and myself so the risk of damage is minimal. Unless the customer wants a specific numbered pic, the sale would come out of the stock rather than what's on display.

Thank you all for the support, btw, and I will post copies of what I decide to put in later. :D

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Catch-up » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:36 pm

Congratulations! :D This is so wonderful! You have so many wonderful pictures, I can't wait to see what you're offering for sale.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:41 pm

Penners, I'm not sure if I ever posted the photograph that Sharlene got me one year. That came in a mounting 8/100 and signed "Monument Storm". I got it framed myself and that is definitely the best way to go I think. :)

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:07 am

Cool pic Tony. I think mainly local pics is the way to go with this as well, except for one or two others that I might add to the 'collection'. I'm also currently lacking in good Autumnal photos. :D

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Well coincidentally it might be a good time to take some around now :D That's handy ;)

The Mad Collector

Postby Penfold » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:59 pm

The new season for competitions is now upon me and for once I was prepared for what I was going to enter. Well, at least I thought I was but when it came to pressing the submit button I had my usual doubts and second thoughts resulting in an evening of indecision. :lol:

I think I will post a load on here next time and just go with popular opinion since it worked very well last year. Anyway, this is what I decided on in the end and I will find out the results next Tuesday. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :D

Rainy Days

Reflected Towers

Hazel

This is a projected image competition, by the way, and the pics will be blown up large on a big screen.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Catch-up » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:03 pm

Wow! :clap: All winners! I've tried reflected photos as well, but they haven't turned out as well as yours.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum