Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby raisindot » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Batty wrote:Surely all the office workers could hold aloft bread - on toasting forks - and marshmallows etc., during their lunch break?
It'd be fun! ...

Somebody just has to put a four-foot long plastic ant out there.... :lol:
Last edited by raisindot on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
raisindot

Postby janet » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Some of that stuff I read about Falun Gong members involuntarily donating organs... *shudder*

There's an X Files episode along those lines....no anaesthetic either :shock:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Quatermass » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:52 pm

All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:24 am

Oh yes it's possible alright they have built a giant concave mirror to focus the suns rays on particular parts of the street. What they are going to do about it is another matter altogether, frankly saying we will only cook cars and presumably pedestrians for 2 hours a day so it's not a problem isn't an adequate response :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby wicked woman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:55 am

:lol:
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Quatermass » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:31 am

Pfft! That's probably nothing compared to the Australian summer that's coming. :roll:

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:03 am

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2013/09/04/Ariel_Castro_takes_own_life_in_prison_902909.html?cid=ZBP_NEWS_L_L1-2_ArielCastrotakesownlifeinprison_RSS_040913

I dunno whether to cheer or boo. Cheer, because a monster, not a sick person (despite his protests) is dead, or boo, because by taking his own life, he avoided what punishments were coming to him. I was looking forward to hearing tales of him getting a broomstick where the sun don't shine. :|

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:39 pm

The irony is, that he plead down to a non-death sentence term.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Chinese police have said a six-year-old boy whose eyes were gouged out may have been attacked by his aunt.

State news agency Xinhua said Zhang Huiying killed herself six days after her nephew Guo Bin was found covered in blood in a field in the rural area of Linfen city. Doctors hope to give him artificial eyes to restore some limited sight.

Video report here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-23958599
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:43 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:Oh yes it's possible alright they have built a giant concave mirror to focus the suns rays on particular parts of the street. What they are going to do about it is another matter altogether, frankly saying we will only cook cars and presumably pedestrians for 2 hours a day so it's not a problem isn't an adequate response :roll:

I've just been out there. It's ridiculous.

They're putting up scaffolding outside the affected shops, with green (PLASTIC!!) netting to shade them. That should last a long time.

There are camera crews, frying pans on the pavement, and hundreds of people milling around.

There was even one bloke, wearing sunglasses, looking up at the sky with his hand over his eyes.......... while someone else took a photo of him.

Bouncy Castle

Postby raisindot » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:49 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:
I've just been out there. It's ridiculous.

They're putting up scaffolding outside the affected shops, with green (PLASTIC!!) netting to shade them. That should last a long time.

There are camera crews, frying pans on the pavement, and hundreds of people milling around.

There was even one bloke, wearing sunglasses, looking up at the sky with his hand over his eyes.......... while someone else took a photo of him.

If this was happening in the States, you'd already have a hundred of so bogus lawsuits filed by myopic hucksters and bald guys against the company for negligence.
raisindot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Bouncy Castle

Postby hnorwood » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:47 pm

re: the fryscraper - it reminds me of a SF story by Arthur C Clarke (I think) in which the subject attends a football match in a central(?) American republic; he notices the souvenir programmes have highly reflecting covers. At some point in the match he's blinded by a light (? thinks nuclear strike - I can't remember) Anyway, after the light dies down there's a small pile of ash where the ref stood and there had also been a coup in the state. Or something like that. I appeared that all the spectators in the sunny side of the stadium were instructed to hold up their programmes...

Life imitating art?
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:22 am

I'm pretty sure there's no piles of ash on the pavement! I think I would have noticed! :mrgreen:

Bouncy Castle

Postby chillicamper » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:51 am

On top of the disastrous changes to planning laws, the Government has again managed to come up with another really bad idea!

Legislation that allows a developer to trash an environmentally sensitive site.........so long as they pay for some conservation work elsewhere.

How about not wrecking such sites in the first place and finding ways to develop other less sensitive brownfield sites.......but that might not make the developers as much money!

This is going to encourage developers to not even have to think if there are other solutions to sensitive sites. Just bung a bit of money in the pot and roll out the bulldozers :x :x

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23972980
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum