What Are You Reading? 3

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What Are You Reading? 3

Postby pip » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:38 am

Started The Death of Kings by Bernard Cornwell . Enjoying it so far. Placenames are a bit fun getting around but its a good story so far.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby pip » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:47 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:I've just read a bit on the Amazon website. I think when the time comes, I'll need to re-read the previous one to bring myself up to speed!!

Finished Broken Homes yesterday and for any issues at the start it really gets going . The ending is bloody brilliant.
Did a quick review here with a tad more detail but its well worth picking up .
http://pipbookview.wordpress.com/2013/09/03/broken-homes-by-ben-aaronovitch-slow-start-but-a-great-read/
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:10 pm

I'm re-reading Oryx & Crake by Margaret Atwood. The third book in the trilogy is out soon (or recently), so I wanted to refresh my memory cos the first two are really good.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby pip » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Dotsie wrote:I'm re-reading Oryx & Crake by Margaret Atwood. The third book in the trilogy is out soon (or recently), so I wanted to refresh my memory cos the first two are really good.

Pretty sure its out this week . I saw a few posters for it.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:55 pm

pip wrote:Started The Death of Kings by Bernard Cornwell . Enjoying it so far. Placenames are a bit fun getting around but its a good story so far.

Pip, you may find this map that I have constructed, useful. I have added the place names of all the books so far as well as their current names and the books they appear in. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:55 pm

I'm reading A Study In Scarlet, the Sherlock Holmes book by Conan Doyle. :)
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:52 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
pip wrote:Started The Death of Kings by Bernard Cornwell . Enjoying it so far. Placenames are a bit fun getting around but its a good story so far.

Pip, you may find this map that I have constructed, useful. I have added the place names of all the books so far as well as their current names and the books they appear in. :)

I got this off you a while back and have looked at it for a few other books. Might open it later on when a few of the names have sunk in.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Couldn't remember if I'd given it to you and the Hookton site that the link had been on is no longer in existence.
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:04 pm

No worries.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby =Tamar » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:29 am

I reread Dream Park by Larry Niven & Steven Barnes. (1981) Not as pleased with it as I'd expected. Times have changed, and I have changed with them. Probably because I don't do gaming of any kind, I got bored stiff about 80 pages from the end and finished it mostly to look for more typos (I count ten in all, not bad by today's internet standards but back then (30 years ago!) they still had copyeditors). I found one major howler that Niven should have been ashamed of. The later books in the series aren't as annoying, having been written in a more modern sensibility, I guess.
=Tamar

Postby Ponder » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Eat and Run by Scott Jurek
Ponder

Postby pip » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:32 pm

Finished Death of Kings (brilliant ) and am now reading Blood Song , a debut fantasy by Anthony Ryan . Very good so far (100 pages in )
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Between recovering from a big trip, dealing with a variety of crises, getting the girls settled into the school routine and having lots of relatives visiting.... I haven't been able to read anything.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:04 pm

Read Coraline by Neil Gaiman last night and am now most of the way through Soul Music :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:42 pm

^Nice.

Good luck getting time to read Catch-up.

needed cheering up. I read Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams over the weekend. It did the trick :)
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books