Amazon Kindle

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Amazon Kindle

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:21 pm

pip wrote:Harry's stuff takes a crazy amount of planning to sort. But I do the manly thing and struggle with way more than I should carry because that's what we do. :D

I suspect the scene in Carpe Jugulum where Magrat is packing the baby's things, makes a lot more sense to you now. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:28 pm

Sounds like they went light. :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:55 pm

Yep they should have bought a kindle pip. :whistle: :whistle: :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Lucky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Boah all these modern stuf.. I like paper! And dust!
Higher & higher
Lucky

Postby =Tamar » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:17 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:You can also get a free Kindle app download to read on your computer from Amazon easy to download and use .
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html ... ad_mkt_lnd

Buy Once, Read Everywhere: You don't need to own a Kindle device to enjoy Kindle books. Download one of our free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on all your devices. The Kindle app is available for every major smartphone, tablet, and computer.

"major" computers... But does it work with Linux?
=Tamar

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

=Tamar wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:You can also get a free Kindle app download to read on your computer from Amazon easy to download and use .
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html ... ad_mkt_lnd

Buy Once, Read Everywhere: You don't need to own a Kindle device to enjoy Kindle books. Download one of our free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on all your devices. The Kindle app is available for every major smartphone, tablet, and computer.

"major" computers... But does it work with Linux?

NO Image Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Lucky » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:00 pm

Yeah.. nobody
Higher & higher
Lucky

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:06 pm

I was thinking today that it would be a great idea if Amazon offered Kindle owners a free download of the book when they bought the hardback. I'd be quite happy to buy a new Pratchett hardback from them if I could also load that book to a Kindle. :)
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Something like they do for a lot of film releases these days were you get the dvd bluray and digital version in one. But never gonna happen with amazon.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raisindot » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:12 pm

That's a great idea. The reason why DVDs/Blue Rays sometimes come with digital downloads is because the studio allows this to happen--has nothing to do with the retailer. For this to happen with books, the publisher would have to agree to a combination hardcover/e-book deal, and somehow compensate distributors like Amazon. Since there are many more publishers than movie studios, the process would probably be ad hoc. I do see this happening. I would bet that Barnes and Noble starts doing this soon to boost sales of the Nook, which is fast becoming the betamax of the e-book world.
raisindot

Postby pip » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:24 pm

Amazon does seem to do a deal on buying both the ebook and audio version of books . It would be a great way for the publishers to screw amazon and give a bit back to bookshops by selling real books with a code inside for ebook versions.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raisindot » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Yeah, but Amazon owns Audible, so offering a ebook/audiobook combo pack makes economic sense for Amazon since it helps boosts the visibility (or is it audiobility?) of MPEG-based audiobooks, which are far less popular than ebooks at this point. Listening to an audio book for the first time is very likely, given the right book and reader, to make you buy more (I know listening to my first DW audiobook convinced me to get every DW book Briggs has head, along with a few selected Planers).

If Amazon didn't already own the e-book market it might make sense for them to offer hardcover/ebook combos. But, again, the publisher has to pay Amazon to offer this deal, since Amazon hosts the ebooks (unless the publisher is using a different retailers, but almost none of them have anything close to Amazon's market share).
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:59 pm

Interestingly, I had an email from Amazon the other day telling me that some of the CDs I have bought from them in the past (going back to 2005) are now available for me to download free as MP3 files. As it happened, of the three mentioned, I'd already converted two to MP3 files, but I was very happy to be able to download the third.

This is Amazon saying: Hey, you bought the CD, here, have the MP3 as well. :)

Maybe this really will happen with books and Kindles.
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:48 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Interestingly, I had an email from Amazon the other day telling me that some of the CDs I have bought from them in the past (going back to 2005) are now available for me to download free as MP3 files. As it happened, of the three mentioned, I'd already converted two to MP3 files, but I was very happy to be able to download the third.

This is Amazon saying: Hey, you bought the CD, here, have the MP3 as well. :)

Maybe this really will happen with books and Kindles.

Tony, they're not doing this because they want to be generous--they (and the record companies) are doing this to market their MP3-purchase service in the hopes that you will make future purchases as MP3s, rather than CDs. After all, it's a lot more profitable for record companies to sell songs directly to consumers in electronic format that have to publish, package, warehouse and distribute CDs.

Book publishers, in general, are decades behind record companies in terms of trying to push sales of e-books over print books, so I don't see "buy print books/get e-books" deals happening for a while unless certain publishers want to get out of the hardbound book industry entirely.
Last edited by raisindot on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Yes, I have no doubt that the motive is to persuade me to buy MP3 downloads rather than CDs - "free" usually has a price attached to it.
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels