Could The Silmarillion be the next Game of Thrones?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Could The Silmarillion be the next Game of Thrones?

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:31 pm

OK we've (well Leewerrey and I) been straying majorly off topic talking about Glorfindel in The Desolation of Smaug thread by speculating on whether the poor ole upstaged High Elf in the first book of the LotR (by Arwen rescuing Frodo at the Fords instead :roll: ) might make an appearance in Peter Jackson's re-enactment of the largely sketchy Siege of Dol Guldur... :oops:

So here's a place where we can really get down to pondering how Tolkien's guide book to the entire history of Middle Earth, not to mention the universe of Arda, aka The Silmarillion might make it to a screen of some sorts in a similar style to HBO's highly glitzy production saga of George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones.

To get the conversation started which part of The Silmarillion would you most like to see in a theatrical adaption?
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Re: Could The Silmarillion be the next Game of Thrones?

Postby Leewerrey » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:To get the conversation started which part of The Silmarillion would you most like to see in a theatrical adaption?

It's a hard question because I would be glad to see almost all :lol: But of course there are some things that, I think, would be great in our epic illusion adaptation :D for example the campaign of our old arrogant friend Fёanor (Maedhros :romance-admire:), the fall of Gondolin, of course, and therefore the story of Earendil and his sons. Actually, I wouldn't mind to see some parts connected with Men, the story of Children of Hurin, for example. Maybe it even deserves its own movie or a special episode after all :lol:
Leewerrey

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Leewerrey wrote:Maybe it even deserves its own movie or a special episode after all :lol:

Don't let Peter Jackson see this, if he can get 3 films out of The Hobbit there is so much in the Silmarillion that we could be looking at 13 four to five hour (allowing for extended editions) movies, one each year from 2016 to 2028 :shock: :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:17 am

:lol: Well yeah, but that's why it's something that lends itself to smaller screens, 'cos it's just too well-known and too damn long to take on as a cinematic project. :P

I'd certainly like to see the Beren and Luthien story (stealing the Silmarils back) dramatised and the Fall of Gondolin through to the War of Wrath for the First Age and in the Second Age, the making of the Rings in Eregion and it's fall as well. The only trouble is that there's very little usable material about Sauron and his boss Morgoth to go on, so probably GoT it wouldn't be... :(
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Lucky » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:00 pm

Would be cool!
Higher & higher
Lucky

Return to TV, film, theatre