Advice on fighting against the developers

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Advice on fighting against the developers

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Former Mayor of London, Ken Livinstone.

Keeps newts as a hobby, apparently.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Thats newts to me. :oops: :oops:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby janet » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Former Mayor of London, Ken Livinstone.

Keeps newts as a hobby, apparently.

Know who he is but not about the newts.
Nice :D
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:30 pm

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby janet » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:08 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b038hghc

Listened to this yesterday. Interesting!

Eureka! That's it! Red Ken to the rescue against the developers!
Now, to find those newts.
janet

Postby chris.ph » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:27 pm

the wildlife and fauna will only put it on hold for a couple of years(been there with orchids), look into infrastructure chili, a company i worked for had an estate of houses rejected because the main drains werent big enough to cope with the extra effluent. get a group together and get a survryor to check the watermains, gas mains, foul drainage, storm drainage, water table anything you can think of. i know you mentioned it before but this is the only way to actually stop an estate cold
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby =Tamar » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:16 pm

chris.ph wrote: look into infrastructure chili, a company i worked for had an estate of houses rejected because the main drains weren't big enough to cope with the extra effluent. get a group together and get a surveyor to check the water mains, gas mains, foul drainage, storm drainage, water table anything you can think of.
Also check local history of flooding, backflows, heavy rains, and where the water will go when it happens - whose backyard it will flood, whose cellar, whose business that stores stock in the basement, etc. Make it personal!

Oh, and check "expected amount of traffic increase" - the roads will have to be widened, more traffic lights installed, sidewalks where they hadn't been needed before, speed cameras, strain on the schools - every housing estate means more services required. Don't forget expected need for hospital beds.
=Tamar

Postby chillicamper » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:23 pm

chris.ph wrote:the wildlife and fauna will only put it on hold for a couple of years(been there with orchids), look into infrastructure chili, a company i worked for had an estate of houses rejected because the main drains werent big enough to cope with the extra effluent. get a group together and get a survryor to check the watermains, gas mains, foul drainage, storm drainage, water table anything you can think of. i know you mentioned it before but this is the only way to actually stop an estate cold

We have no mains drainage here. Everything uses septic tanks or private sewerage systems. Trouble is that we are on heavy clay and the chalk underneath is often many metres down. So after during the winter, the soil get completely waterlogged.

The house next door to us was bought by a developer. Its only a 3 bed semi, but he got permission to build a 3 bed detached house on the garden. Now half our garden is under up to 3 inches of water all winter because there is not sufficient land drainage due to the heavy clay. We sent photos to the planning dept saying 'told you this would happen - next time listen to people who know the area/land'. The reply was that surface drainage is not a planning consideration, but a building regs issue!

Times that by possibly 100 and I hate to think what problems there will be.

Because of the soil and lack of mains drainage, the unwritten rule in the area used to be 4 houses per acre (10/hectare). Now they cram in 28 per hectare to meet government targets.

In addition, we live on top of the highest hill in Hampshire. All the water for the houses is pumped to a water tower to try and provide some water pressure. However, in recent years there has been so much development that the water pressure in the summer is non existent. it can take a few minutes to just fill a small bucket.

We have used drainage and water issues in previous objections to other developments, only to be told they are not a planning issue and it is up to the developers to ensure sufficient drainage and services :roll: :evil:

The roads are falling apart with the increase in traffic, but again, nothing stops the developers. They did pay to put in a section of footpath along one route to the shops, as there were more kids walking on the country roads, but other than that the roads are just bits of tarmac joining potholes together.

If I didn't know that all council members are fine upstanding members of the community I might think someone was on the take!
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby janet » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Huh! Well if they're not, then someone in their family or a close friend who can afford a bung of a nice few quid IS :twisted:
janet

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum