Advice on fighting against the developers

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Advice on fighting against the developers

Postby chillicamper » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:45 am

I used to live in a smallish, spread out village. Over the last 10 year developers have been buying up bungalows and infilling/ replacing them with 5, 10, sometime more houses. Now my village, and the one next door, almost touch and it is difficult to call it a village anymore. :(

Now I've always objected to the council whenever one of these developments comes up at planning, but I don't have much faith in the planning system. Valid concerns such as lack of drainage (we are on heavy clay), surface water run off, lack of mains drainage, low water pressure, lack of school places, increase in traffic......the planners always seem to say that these aren't valid concerns and aren't part of the planning process - well what is then? :evil:

I heard yesterday that a developer is planning a large number of houses on a green field site that I overlook and that borders on woodland that I know, love and have walked in since I was a kid. There is a large strip of land/fields that runs behind a number of new developments where bungalows have been ripped down and 5/10 houses built. But this is green land. So I am asking for other suggestions to help fight the developers plans.

I know the residents in a close just along the road from me have put out a flyer to warn everyone, I have written to the local paper and emailed them and it looks as though they will be doing an editorial on this in a week or so. I have posted stuff on the dreaded FB to make people aware.

But how else can I get locals engaged enough to fight against this. I think there are a large number willing to do so already, but there's probably just as many who don't seem to want to get involved - if they don't overlook the houses, it seems it's not their problem. The trouble is, if they do this on one green field site, then I know of a number of other fields also earmarked for potential development and this will be the green light.

Any advice on how to approach this would be gratefully received.
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Re: Advice on fighting against the developers

Postby janet » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:02 am

PM sent.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Penfold » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:45 am

PM sent as well.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Try petitions (not just that, but in addition to everything else). get all the people in the area to sign it. even talk to the people who they don't want to get involved. tell them, its just a signature and they don't need to do anything else. that's especially helpful when the media is involved.

outside of that, unless it can be claimed as a nature preserve, a national park (or whatever its referred to over there), or a historical site, there isn't much else. outside of buying up the land youself. :lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby janet » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:05 pm

Worth checking for rare species of flora or fauna? Newts, bats, owls, snakes or slow worms? Rare orchids? Sites of archaeological interest?
janet

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:08 pm

A visit to the local library (if it hasn't be shut down by the council) to see if those fields/woods were ever something of historical interest.... if you get what I means.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby raisindot » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Go to a store that sells fossils, arrowheads and other 'antiquities' and buy everything you can.

Then selectively bury some of these items around the field. When the backhoes start digging, they'll uncover these things and you can make it a claim that this is a historical site that must be preserved. :D
raisindot

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Breeding newts is a great one for keeping people out. Not sure if you actually have to see the newts breeding though :? Or you could, as Raisin says, bury a dinosaur.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby janet » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Never takes long for a thread to descend into smut :lol: :lol:
janet

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:52 pm

'Bury a dinosaur' isn't a euphemism Janet ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:52 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Ghost » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:57 pm

it is now :D ;)
Waxing is not a cure for lycanthropy
Ghost

Postby janet » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:58 pm

50 shades of Newt?

Hiding the fossil....snigger :lol:

TAXI!
janet

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:05 pm

As soon as I see the word Newt, I think of Ken Livingstone.

Ick.

Bouncy Castle

Postby janet » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:As soon as I see the word Newt, I think of Ken Livingstone.

Ick.

:?:
janet

Next

Return to The Broken Drum