What puts you off watching a movie or tv show?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

What puts you off watching a movie or tv show?

Postby Penfold » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:36 pm

It was mentioned on another thread that people still go and see a film regardless of whether the critics pan it or not. I was wondering whether there is anything specific that puts you off?

In my case I always avoid, possibly unfairly but experience tells me otherwise, any film that has the words "romcom" in the description. :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Re: What puts you off watching a movie or tv show?

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:48 am

With the exception of a couple of movies (Bridget Jones, The Princess Bride) I don't watch romcom's either. Car chase & dance movies you couldn't pay me to watch. I avoid spoofs now but I did enjoy early ones like Spaceballs & Young Frankenstein :shifty: .

As far as telly is concerned, most things. Any 'reality' based tv show. I don't watch commercial channels.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Ghost » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:38 am

psychological thriller or political drama puts me off every time
and best film of the year especially if it's released in January
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:46 am

Yeah, romcoms here too. In general i'm pretty open minded and will give anything a fair shot, but certain ones, like those, i don't seek out. unless it's one of those weird kinds. like lake house or one of them.

and the newer spoof films as well. first scary movie was ok, the rest.... eh. same with ones like epic movie and things like that.

for tv, well, anything on Lifetime, oxygen, stuff like that. sports as well, unless its like a demolition derby or something. any of those bachelor type reality shows. though i'll admit to liking Joe Millionaire. it was just ****ed up enough to be interesting. I used to watch survivor (and I still loved the full version of the theme). and the only reason i stopped wasn't so much lack of interest but missing the first few eps of the season and wanting to catch it all from the beginning. then just losing track completely. Lost interest in big brother halfway through the first season when george got kicked off (IE the only regular guy on the show).

any of the music/talent shows. frankly, with youtube, soundcloud, etc, those shows are pointless. and often contain much less talent. Then again, you could say the same thing about the mainstream music industry as a whole. why pay to listen to their manufactured garbage (generally speaking, there are some mainstream artists, or songs from such artists, that i like) when I have literally thousands of artists at my disposal, for free (unless you feel like donating to them. which I have done at times), and often with more musical ability (even if they do lack the polish at times)?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:01 am

Anything that has to do with a terrorism plot (domestic or otherwise).

Anything "reality".

Guns/car chases, though I'd watch James Bond if forced.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:13 am

I wouldn't watch a film with a teenaged vampire in it.

Any reality TV shows, and 'health' documentaries - why would I want to see some poor sod struggling with a giant tumour they've had for 20 years? :?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby pip » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:32 am

Dotsie wrote:I wouldn't watch a film with a teenaged vampire in it.

Any reality TV shows, and 'health' documentaries - why would I want to see some poor sod struggling with a giant tumour they've had for 20 years? :?

Speaking of Teenage Vampires I always remember pissing myself that they had a thirty + Antonio Banderes playing what should have been a teenage vampire in Interview With The Vampire.
Which leads to one of my put offs. I hate blatently bad casting just to get a big name in there .
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby michelanCello » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:09 pm

Usually if it's an 18+ movie, that puts me off...means it's going to be scary, I don't like scary... :shifty:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Kin Arad » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:45 pm

That's one of things I am not going to enjoy when I turn 18, as I bet most of my friends will want to go and see at least one 18 film :confusion-helpsign: I'm generally not too fond of gore in a film - rather puts me off my snacks :P
“Wouldn’t that unplug your heating pad?”
Kin Arad

Postby Penfold » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:02 pm

My first '18' rated film (that I got into at 16 years old) was "Enter the Dragon". :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:17 pm

Supernatural scary movies.They freak me out so badly. :?
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:37 am

Gorey movies never bothered me. I just can't be scared of pancake syrup. :lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby chris.ph » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:22 am

true stories like Apollo 13 as i already know what happened, same as titanic i knew the ship was going to sink
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Quatermass » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:33 am

Hmmm... :think:

Well, anything with romance as the genre. Unless I need an emetic. Ditto most horror movies. Period dramas are also a turn-off for the most part, unless they're a Dickens or Marple adaptation, or an episode of Doctor Who (and even there, I don't like the period dramas, AKA 'pure historicals', as much as a good old alien story). Soaps are also a no-go. I also don't like what the Doctor calls 'domestics' (basically w***y human interaction, which seems to involve conflict for the sake of it, or misunderstandings).

There are exceptions to every rule, though, and to be perfectly honest, I'm very picky about what I watch.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Jack Remillard » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:44 am

Main characters who argue all the time, especially if there is sexual tension involved. Will they? Won't they? I don't care! :lol:

chris.ph wrote:true stories like Apollo 13 as i already know what happened, same as titanic i knew the ship was going to sink

You didn't know that it was because the lookouts were distracted by Rose and Jack though, did you? :D
Jack Remillard

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre