Raising Steam

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Raising Steam

Postby Penfold » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:58 am

I prefer the first one as well but I will be interested to see Kemar's version when he gets around to it. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby pip » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Definitely. Had a look at his deviant art page and am very tempted to pick up a few prints.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raisindot » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Jussi wrote:
=Tamar wrote:I wonder whether it is the difference between the UK and USA release dates.

The USA publishing date is March 25, 2014:

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/P ... 038553826X

That's insane. Nearly all of the recent U.S. DW books have been released either concurrently or within a couple weeks of the UK release. A six-month delay for the US publication will cost HC thousands of US sales as people here will either get the HC imported from the UK (or hopefully Canada) or get it on Kindle. I may do that myself (or maybe I can convince one of you fine UK folks to ship me a copy). :)
raisindot

Postby pip » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Or order it from here -
http://www.bookdepository.com/Raising-Steam-Terry-Pratchett/9780857522276
Free delivery to the US for the UK edition. I've gotten a fair few books that come out in the US first.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raisindot » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:08 pm

pip wrote:Or order it from here -
Free delivery to the US for the UK edition. I've gotten a fair few books that come out in the US first.

Good tip, Pip!

Also noticed that's it's available in November of Amazon's Canada site. However, given shipping it might cost less to order it from the Book Depository.

Somehow, in the end I think that HC will ultimately move back the US publishing date much closer to the UK date. We Yanks won't be willing to wait six months.
raisindot

Postby pip » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:36 pm

Glad to help. I think the UK versions always tend to be a couple of Dollars extra but not a ridiculous difference.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby mojojojo » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:03 pm

What is s the non-human creature on the cover/ A goblin? An orc? A partially transformed werewolf?
mojojojo

Postby pip » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:16 am

I assume its an Orc as they've featured in the last few books.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:09 am

pip wrote:Or order it from here -

Nice site. prices aren't THAT bad. maybe a dollar or two above US stores. but they have editions you can't get here. like the illustrated Last hero and I THINK Eric as well, though i'm not sure. (those were the only two illustrated books right?)
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Sister Jennifer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:51 am

mojojojo wrote:What is s the non-human creature on the cover/ A goblin? An orc? A partially transformed werewolf?

I'm not gonna be able to get, partially transformed werewolf, out of my head now. I'm gonna say goblin though.

What kind of look does Moist have on his face do you think?
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby =Tamar » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:51 am

Sister Jennifer wrote: I'm gonna say goblin though.

Me, too. Orcs are big enough to pass for something passing for human; the being on the cover isn't big enough but is about right for a goblin. The things throwing axes might be orcs or Deep Downer dwarfs or something entirely new.

Sister Jennifer wrote:What kind of look does Moist have on his face do you think?

I think that if either of them is Moist, it's the grinning engineer - he likes to push things to the ultimate, so he'd enjoy driving the train as fast as possible. The frightened one is probably the designer, who knows the limits of the materials.
=Tamar

Postby cabbagehead » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:21 pm

Well, the grinning engineer is wearing a hat, so best candidate for Moist.
cabbagehead

Postby =Tamar » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:53 pm

cabbagehead wrote:Well, the grinning engineer is wearing a hat, so best candidate for Moist.

The other one had a hat, it is shown being blown off by the wind of their speed. It's also about the same color. Someone besides Moist wearing a gold hat? Gosh.
=Tamar

Postby raisindot » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:40 pm

=Tamar wrote:
cabbagehead wrote:Well, the grinning engineer is wearing a hat, so best candidate for Moist.

The other one had a hat, it is shown being blown off by the wind of their speed. It's also about the same color. Someone besides Moist wearing a gold hat? Gosh.

I wouldn't make anything of that. In Kidby's original illustration, neither hat is gold at all, and in the 'finished' cover it really isn't that 'gold' either.

What is weird to me is that in both Kidby's original illustration and the finished cover the terrified head next to the engineer doesn't seem to have a body...
raisindot

Postby =Tamar » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:35 pm

Well, gold comes in different shades... rose gold, white gold, red gold... I admit I was kind of expecting a gilded hard hat but we can't have everything.

I think I see the frightened man holding onto something we can't see. I'm interpreting those white tubes as his sleeves. There's a bit of blue with cross-hatching where his shoulder ought to be and I'm interpreting that as a plaid waistcoat. The smiling one has his right arm in an odd position too - elbow held up and back as he leans forward, so his forearm is horizontal.
=Tamar

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels