Best Director for Terry Pratchett movies?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Best Director for Terry Pratchett movies?

Postby MissVetinari » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:08 pm

Hey all,

I'm a Discworlder, so this question pertains to recreating Discworld in movie form. Who do you think would be the best director to create Discworld and all it's characters?

My biased opinion has to be Peter Jackson. He did Middle Earth fantastically, he's not afraid of special effects and he sort of looks like a citizen of Ankh-Morpork.

And I think a good place for him to start would be young(ish) Sam Vimes in Guards! Guards! since Peter already knows how to do dragons. And we need to get a good Vimes and Vetinari while they're still young(ish).

What do you think?
MissVetinari

Re: Best Director for Terry Pratchett movies?

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Welcome to the site, MissVetinari. :D

I've always wanted Terry Gilliam to direct a Discworld movie. He was long named as someone who was going to do a film version of Good Omens, and he seemed perfect for that.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bickaxe » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Joss Whedon would be awesome. He gets the humour just right and throws in a lot of action. Expect your favourite character to die though.

Chris Nolan did a good job with Harry Potter and Batman (I think)

Guillermo Del Toro for the later darker books
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:40 pm

Del toro has talked in the past about his love of the family horror genre. IE those 80's family films like disney used to do. something wicked this way comes, Mr Boogedy, etc. and wanted them to make a come back. I think Maurice would be perfect for him. maybe even the Tiffany Books.

Though I loved the idea of Sam Raimi doing the tiffany books. shame that fell through.

Peter, would be the goto though for alot of it. but he can do dark comedy as well, if anyone remember The Frighteners.

I can see Nolan taking on the Watch books. he has a very down to earth style and the Watch books are generally the most grounded.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Molokov » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:15 am

@Bickaxe - Nolan didn't do any Harry Potter movies, maybe you're thinking of Chris Columbus who did the first two? David Yates did the final 3 I think.
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Return to TV, film, theatre