Amazon Kindle

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Amazon Kindle

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:39 pm

Ebooks tend to be just a few pence less than the actual book, hardback or paperback. Publishers say this is because most of publishing cost isn't the materials - so why are hardbacks more expensive then? :? Hmm!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:05 pm

Dotsie you can convert epub format to Kindle azw format I done that to quite a lot of the epubs I've downloaded.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby pip » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:40 am

Amazon, ABE Books and Awesome books will have all of the DW books second hand for only about £2 a book including delivery so if you pick carefully you can get the whole set a lot cheaper than on ebooks (and minus the cost of the ebook)
:D :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raisindot » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:09 pm

Tonyblack wrote:That's a thought - does the price of a DW Kindle book go down when the paperback comes out?

And why are Kindle books about the same price as regular books, when they (presumably) are cheaper to produce?

The price isn't based on production costs--it's based on the publisher's desire to maintain Pterry's market value. If you could get a Kindle version of his books for (using the U.S. example) the $1-$2 per e-book charged by unknown authors then people would question why they should pay $15-$20 for the hardcover.
raisindot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:16 pm

I would still get the Hardback regardless,and the audio book later,I have not downloaded any PTerry's on my kindle. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:11 am

Also bear in mind (viz the price) that downloaded books like Amazon/Kindle are subject to VAT, whereas ordinary books are not.

I have several pTerry books on my Kindle, but only because I have no space to store physical books, and my friend, Mary, who I always loan books to (and vice versa) I don't think is too worried if she doesn't get to read them.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Katblossom » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm getting a Kindle soon, mainly because of the physical space issue. I have a lot of books and it sounds wonderful to have a whole collection in your hand. Also I think with Amazon you get some good deals with it. Nothing beats a physical hardback though I must say, especially for gifts as its such a lovely object. I bought the Caitlin Moran book on my partner's ipad - How to be a Woman (hilarious), then had to get the physical book (mainly to lend out).
Katblossom

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:01 pm

Don't let Pip know you're getting a Kindle. To him they are the invention of the Devil! :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:03 pm

Back Vile Demon. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Katblossom » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:05 pm

Lol think of it this way - a library in your handbag!
Katblossom

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:07 pm

I know that. You know that, but Pip is a boy and therefore doesn't have a handbag!

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:08 pm

Plus I'm strong enough to carry a few books around. :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:10 pm

And all Harry's stuff too? You big, butch, thing you!

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:15 pm

Harry's stuff takes a crazy amount of planning to sort. But I do the manly thing and struggle with way more than I should carry because that's what we do. :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:20 pm

:roll:

She had a Caesarean you know? ;) :mrgreen: :lol:

Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels