Neil Gaiman

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Neil Gaiman

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:50 pm

EW.com

The Sandman is returning to Vertigo comics under the influence of writer Neil Gaiman.

Shelly Bond, executive editor of the imprint of DC Entertainment, said Monday that Gaiman is working with artist J.H. Williams III to tell stories of Morpheus’ world before he was captured. Titled The Sandman: Overture, the new series will appear bi-monthly starting Oct. 30 in comic shops and digitally, too.

Gaiman last penned stories in the realm of the Endless more than a decade ago. His telling of Sandman has sold more than 7 million copies in nine languages by combining epic story with mythology in a comic medium.

DC Entertainment president Diane Nelson called the return to the “lush, evocative world” Gaiman created with Sandman “a literary event.”
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Ghost » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:36 pm

Catch-up wrote:
pip wrote:I do have a signed slipcased edition of his upcoming book preordered so it better be bloody good. :lol:

I didn't know he had a new one coming out! Can't wait to read it. :D

Got my copy ordered for the signing in a couple of months
as well as acquiring a first edition of good omens for just £3.99
that I'm hoping will be signed as well
Ghost

Postby pip » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:30 am

Finished it , Brilliant is an understatement .
Well worth the hype.

Blog review-

Ocean at the End of the Lane
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:06 am

I've just borrowed The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Here's hoping...
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:03 am

Okay, read The Ocean at the End of the Lane. And I loved it. A bit harrowing at times (bathtub scene, anyone?), but great, one of Gaiman's best ones.

But could someone tell me something? TV Tropes claims that there are several references to Doctor Who. But I must've missed them, given my fast reading style. Did anyone else notice these references, and if so, what were they?
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:43 am

Dunno about DW, but this is from Wiki:

In February 2013 Focus Features has acquired the rights of the novel to make into a feature film.

Tom Hanks will produce the film and Joe Wright will direct.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:35 am

Neil Gaiman's in the George RR Martin's Revenge vid that's in the eponymous thread.

Quatermass

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:13 am

He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Ghost » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:42 am

nice design I spent ages looking for a reversible cover copy for the signing but I had to settle with accidentally buying a first edition instead
Ghost

Postby michelanCello » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:42 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:New good Omens cover!!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Omens-Neil ... 772&sr=1-2

Nice! :D

I bumped into a first Hungarian edition in a second hand bookshop, was too expensive and I wouldn't want to read it in Hungarian anyway, but it was beautiful! The pages were black and it was all rather sinister...

Edit: it was this one, sorry for the size, couldn't find a bigger one

Edit2: the new edition has this cover
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby chillicamper » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:37 am

Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby raisindot » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Because all of you people endlessly discuss Gaiman's work, I decided to give him a try (although I read Good Omens many years ago).

First read American Gods. I thought it was very good, if a bit rambling in a shaggy dog story sort of way. One of those books where the author seems to be trying to cram as much of his knowledge of everything into the pages, leaving lots of loose bits around.

Now I'm reading Neverwhere, which is pretty good. The first thing that came to mind is that the characters of Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar totally remind me of Mr. Pin and Mr. Tulip, and I wonder if Pterry's comedy criminal duo is his nod to Gaiman's criminals? In Neverwhere, their team is called the Old Firm, in The Truth it's called the New Firm.
raisindot

Postby Catch-up » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:31 pm

It's been so long since I've read Neverwhere. Fun comparison!

We got The Graveyard Book on audio for the trip. I read it when it came out, but enjoyed listening to it again. Derek and the girls really liked it! It was a nice surprise that Neil Gaiman is the one who read it.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Molokov » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:53 am

@raisindot Both the Old Firm and the New Firm are archetype villains - the small, vicious, smart man, and the big dumb muscle, both wearing very nice suits. Both Terry & Neil were getting that from the same original source.

However, Mr Tulip's love of fine art could potentially have been influenced by Mr Croup & Vandermar's love of same... although what the latter two do with it is entirely different.
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby raisindot » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:24 pm

Molokov wrote:@raisindot Both the Old Firm and the New Firm are archetype villains - the small, vicious, smart man, and the big dumb muscle, both wearing very nice suits. Both Terry & Neil were getting that from the same original source.

However, Mr Tulip's love of fine art could potentially have been influenced by Mr Croup & Vandermar's love of same... although what the latter two do with it is entirely different.

I know that the small man/large man criminal teams are criminal archtypes (probably originally sourced from comedy teams like Laurel and Hardy or, more likely Abbott and Costello), but I've never heard the terms "Old Firm" and "New Firm" used in reference to criminal syndicates--only to soccer teams (or the violent fans of soccer teams). Can't find any references to this on Google either.
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books