Hobbies.......what do you do in your spare time?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Hobbies.......what do you do in your spare time?

Postby chuffed » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Just started messing about with guitars as a hobby... had a red one that I decided to change cause was a bit rubbish! so took it to bits, sanded it and resprayed it British Racing Green! currently hanging up for a month and can't touch it while it dries properly!! :?
So got another one to start! thinking of painting it bright green with black Riddler ?'s all over it! could be fun
chuffed

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:I didn't understand a word of that!!

Dotsie wrote:You lost me at "lately" :lol:

Basically, its doing this,

3100247800_e25f9a52cf_z.jpg

But on a computer instead of using clay models :D

Catch-up wrote:Very cool!! :D Sounds complicated.

Its not hard, just very tedious. and time consuming. :)

ChristianBecker wrote:Blender seems to be a hell of a tool. But it also seems that getting used to it is more difficult than getting used to any other programme. At least in my experience. Normally, I can intuitively work with most software after some minutes to an acceptable degree.
Blender I tried several times over the last 5 years and always ended up rather frustrated.

Ugh, tell me about it. i've watched several tutorial videos and read a few articles. they help alot about its still a daunting task. especially since i only need (for the moment) small items. like one idea i have needs just one small prop, but out of the tens of thousands of props they give you, the one i need isn't one of them. got a crap-ton of hats though :?

and Antiq, thanks :)
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby ChristianBecker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:22 pm

chuffed wrote:... can't touch it while it dries properly!! :?

I told you homeboy
U can't touch this.

:D :D :D
And you even've got the fitting avatar.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby chuffed » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:37 pm

ChristianBecker wrote:
chuffed wrote:... can't touch it while it dries properly!! :?

I told you homeboy
U can't touch this.

:D :D :D
And you even've got the fitting avatar.

Nice! didn't think about that one! lol
chuffed

Postby BobtheDrog » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Cricket, Ultimate frisbee, football (watching/attending/playing), Gardening, Cooking, Table quizzes. I used to fish a lot but rarely have the time anymore. I swim when I can but haven't since April.

alternatively if you take Chris's answer and change rugby to Cricket and Ultimate that works well too
BobtheDrog

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Looking round the house I appear to collect collections :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Tiffany » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:22 pm

chillicamper wrote:
jaznbonnie wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Just don't get the two mixed up. :?

Actually, given half a chance, I'd combine them in working with the Lippizzaner horses.

I love Lippizzaners. Very beautiful animals.

I used to ride as a kid and an adult, I gave up when my shoulder dislocated a number of times. It only happened once whilst schooling a horse, but I really didn't fancy sitting on horseback with my shoulder hanging out :shock: I have driven horse and carriages and would like to do that again some day. But the cost of the kit is just too prohibitive at present. Maybe when I get some time (haha) and money (hahahaha) I will build one myself, or get a knackered one off ebay and restore it.

My wife still rides, as do the kids. We have a pony that all 3 are supposed to be able to ride. Unfortunately he has a massive fear of tractors and bolts off in the opposite direction when he sees one! :shock: As that's not particularly safe for all concerned, we are hoping to find him a new home away from tractors, then I suppose the search will be on for another horse (although maybe in a few months time - horses are hard work and a break would be good). I keep on saying that I would like a heavy horse such as a Shire, Clydesdale or Ardennes. But apparently I'm not allowed as my wife is only 5'2" and says she would look like a pea sat on top of one of those :lol: And the food that they can get through is bloomin expensive :shock:

I had one on loan like that. She would pass one at about ninety miles an hour then stop & walk on as if nothing had happened. :D She didn't not want to pass it though. Once you got used to it, she was very safe.
I love Lippizaners too.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tiffany » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:24 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:Looking round the house I appear to collect collections :roll:

Me too! :clap: :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby jaznbonnie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:33 am

Catch-up wrote:One of the things I look forward to most in the summer is the veggie garden, so I guess that's a seasonal hobby. I like to try growing at least one new thing a year. I've got hubby half talked into building more raised beds so I can grow more. :D

Jaz, you should try it! :D

I'd love to have raised gardenbeds in my backyard. Unfortunately we rent so they would have to be mobile. I do work with some flowers and other plants that require very little effort to cultivate. Mainly because the soil here is very poor and the climate somewhat arid at times. Fortunately we have friends who grow a large garden every year and they have let us plant some herbs and other veggies on a small section. In fact my husband and I just went to harvest some of them this morning. :D
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby Catch-up » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:07 am

jaznbonnie wrote:
Catch-up wrote:One of the things I look forward to most in the summer is the veggie garden, so I guess that's a seasonal hobby. I like to try growing at least one new thing a year. I've got hubby half talked into building more raised beds so I can grow more. :D

Jaz, you should try it! :D

I'd love to have raised gardenbeds in my backyard. Unfortunately we rent so they would have to be mobile. I do work with some flowers and other plants that require very little effort to cultivate. Mainly because the soil here is very poor and the climate somewhat arid at times. Fortunately we have friends who grow a large garden every year and they have let us plant some herbs and other veggies on a small section. In fact my husband and I just went to harvest some of them this morning. :D

So sorry! I meant working with the Lippizzaners. :D

But I do love the raised beds. They've made a huge difference. We have black walnut trees which makes the soil acidic. We could grow veggies, but not with great results.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby jaznbonnie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:06 pm

So sorry! I meant working with the Lippizzaners. :D

Oh, my mistake. :roll: I'd love to work with them but that's not a probability unless I win the lottery. ;) :lol:
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby Catch-up » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Understandable! :lol: You should try a riding lesson for fun though.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby HobbitFeets » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:21 pm

Foshan Wing Chun. Its a form of kung fu. It was taught in Foshan China by Yip Man before he went to Hong Kong.

Yip Man then taught Bruce Lee in Hong Kong.

Me and three of the guys at the class meet up as Pratchett fans and play Ankh Morpork the board game :D
No. I don't imagine anyone west of Bree would have much interest in "adventures."

Nasty.... Disturbing... Uncomfortable things......................Make you late for dinner.
HobbitFeets

Location: South Stafforshire (Between a Rock and a Hard Place)

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:49 pm

And beat the crap out of anyone caught cheating? ;) :mrgreen:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby HobbitFeets » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:48 pm

No need. We just give others 'The Stare.' its enough to put anyone off cheating.

We usually leave the cheating for the card game Munchkin :lol:
No. I don't imagine anyone west of Bree would have much interest in "adventures."

Nasty.... Disturbing... Uncomfortable things......................Make you late for dinner.
HobbitFeets

Location: South Stafforshire (Between a Rock and a Hard Place)

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum