Death and Dying

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Death and Dying

Postby Decimaldancer » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:53 pm

My father passed at 3 AM 25 October from a 7 year battle with Parkinson's disease.

He was at home, and chose to quit taking his pills. We had been informed that within the next month or so his pills would stop working at all anyway.

He took the last pill at noon on Friday. We had a lovely evening with family and friends visiting he was stiff and hurting but I gave him his pain meds and he was relaxed and happy through dinner.

At about 8 PM he feel asleep and we got him to bed. He never really woke up again. We had some nursing help for meds and comfort measures. My mother, my brothers and I did most of the caregiving.

I felt privleged to care for my Father in his last hours. I held his hand when he passed peacefully.

My Father was not a religious man. He went with no fear in to the future.

He fought this disease as hard as he could and at the end had what he wanted. I wish for you the same peace he had.
Decimaldancer

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:03 pm

Welcome to the site Decimaldancer. I hope that terry gets to read your post, but we don't know for sure whether he reads the site.

I'm so sorry for your loss - although there's a great deal of dignity with the way your father chose to go and although I'm sure you'll all miss him, I also suspect you are thankful that he's no longer suffering. He went the way he wanted to go - and that has to be a good thing.

Best wishes to you and yours,

Tony
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:12 pm

welcome to the site decimal dancer , my thoughts echos tonys
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby mspanners » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi, not nice to have someone you loved depart...... at least He passed on with the ones He loved there for Him, and thats important.

Be strong and remember all the good things you shared over the Years, Welcome to the site.
mspanners

Postby Lady Vetinari » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:43 pm

I am sorry to hear that DecimalDancer

My great-grandma died of Parkinson's Disease. So I know a little of what you must have gone through. My deepest sympathies to you and hope you always remember the good times you shared with your father.

Hugs and kisses to you!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:03 pm

Decimaldancer sad news for you and your family but if its what your father wanted in the end it saved a lot more suffering for everyone, my condolences for you and family.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:18 pm

In a similar situation at the moment though the illness is cancer. I wish it didn't look as though my father was going to linger for too much longer now. It's very hard to know what to think at times, but he wants to be with us and not in a hospice and so we're all there as much as we can be and try to make the most of what time is left when he's able to talk and for however long that may be.

I'm glad for you all that you're left with happy memories and peace in this ending. Welcome to forum Decimaldancer
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:29 pm

Hi Decimaldancer

What a classy and stylish way to go.

All the best to you and yours.
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:55 pm

poohcarrot wrote:Hi Decimaldancer

What a classy and stylish way to go.

All the best to you and yours.

I agree, and share your sorrow.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Dotsie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:08 am

What a lovely way with words you have pooh. I'd like to echo those sentiments, and pass on my best wishes to your family.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Cheery » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:26 pm

Best wishes for you and your family Decimaldancer.
The way you talk about him he must have been a wonderful man and I am sure he passed on happy, being loved so much by all of you.
May he rest in peace.
Cheery

Postby Mysticsypher » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry for your loss. At least he a loving family around him to the very end. I hope that you and you family find peace as time marches on.

My thoughts are with you and my love also.

M x
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the damn customers!"
Mysticsypher

Return to Terry Pratchett