Banned Book Week Coming Up

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Banned Book Week Coming Up

Postby swreader » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:33 am

It seems appropriate, even though as far as I know, Terry Pratchett's books have never been banned, to remind people that Banned Books Week--celebrating the freedom to choose what one reads-- is celebrated in the US every year on the last week in September (or in this case from September 27 through October 4). This is something we always supported in our store, and I thought I should bring it to your attention.

BBW celebrates the freedom to choose or the freedom to express one’s opinion even if that opinion might be considered unorthodox or unpopular and stresses the importance of ensuring the availability of those unorthodox or unpopular viewpoints to all who wish to read them. After all, intellectual freedom can exist only where these two essential conditions are met.

BBW is sponsored by the American Booksellers Association, American Booksellers Foundation for Free Expression, American Library Association, American Society of Journalists and Authors, Association of American Publishers, National Association of College Stores, and is endorsed by the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress.

To see a list provided by Amazon (US) of recently banned books you can look at that link which gives you more detailed descriptions. But for a really appalling and comprehensive list of books which have been banned somewhere in this country--and perhaps others, The Pelham Library has compiled a two page list ofchallenged and banned books and has issued a challange of it's own for intelligent people to read as many as possible.

How many of these have you read? (Note--you won't believe the books on the list--so take a look)
swreader

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:02 am

I was shocked when I read the list of books that had been banned - some of them make no sense at all. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach to name two. :shock:

Who are these people who see it their moral duty to stop others reading what they want to read? Are they stupid or evil? And have they actually read the books they insist that we can't? :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:07 am

I think it's worth printing that list up here on the board - it's a PDF and not everyone has Adobe:

Wild Swans : Three Daughters of China
The House of the Spirits
Fair and Tender Ladies
Flowers In The Attic
Go Ask Alice
The Handmaid's Tale
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Go Tell It on the Mountain
In The Heat Of The Night
On My Honor
Figure In The Shadows
Uncle Tom's Cabin
Olive's Ocean
Forever
Earth’s Children (Series)
Fahrenheit 451
The Martian Chronicles
Girl 15, Charming but Insane
The Moves Make the Man
Prince of Tides
Clockwork Orange
Naked Lunch
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
The Adventures of the Blue Avenger
Ricochet River
The Goats
Jump Ship to Freedom
My Brother Sam Is Dead
Crazy Lady!
Les Miserables
Watchmen
The Lords of Discipline
Tropic of Cancer
The Golden Compass (series)
Princess Diaries (series)
Just Listen
The Terrorist
Alice (Series)
Inkheart
Freedom Writers Diary
Athletic Shorts: Six Short Stories
The Chocolate War
Stotan!
The Scarlet Letter
American Tragedy
Killing Mr. Griffin
Such is My Beloved
Invisible Man
As I Lay Dying
The Wars
The Great Gatsby
Pillars Of The Earth
The Diary of a Young Girl
America
Love in the Time of Cholera
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Annie on My Mind
Grendel
Julie of the Wolves
Lord Of The Flies
Ordinary People
Stones from the River
Catch-22
It's Not the End of the World
James and the Giant Peach
The Cider House Rules
The Indian in the Cupboard
Who Is Frances Rain?
We All Fall Down
The Sun Also Rises
Red Sky at Morning
The Outsiders
Their Eyes Were Watching God
Animal Farm
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Flowers for Algernon
It
Leaves of Grass
Just Listen
The Talisman
Carrie
Tommyknockers
Different Seasons
A Separate Peace
Funhouse
Sons and Lovers
Lady Chatterley's Lover
Women in Love
The Diviners
The Beet Fields
To Kill a Mockingbird
A Wrinkle in Time
Richard II
Of Mice And Men
East of Eden
Catcher in the Rye
Ulysses
The Naked and The Dead
Sanctuary
Who Has Seen The Wind
Then Again, Maybe I Won't
Kane & Abel
The Satanic Verses
Sexy
Chronicles of Narnia (series)
Scary Stories
Cradle and All
Gossip Girl (series)
Frankenstein
Harry Potter (series)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
The Color Purple
Kaffir Boy
Fallen Angels
A Light in the Attic
The Lovely Bones
The Giver
Bridge to Terabithia
Jacob Have I Loved
Call of the Wild
Canterbury Tales
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Don Quixote
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
The Tenth Circle
Dr. Zhivago
A Day No Pigs Would Die
Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn
The Chronicles Of Prydain (series)
In Cold Blood
The Hammer of Eden
Witches
Anastasia Krupnik
Bluest Eye
Beloved
The Pigman
Deenie
The Boy Who Lost His Face
The Wars
Slaughterhouse-Five
Native Son
Jack
Tiger Eyes
Dead Zone
Always Running : La Vida Loca:
Song of Solomon
Summer of My German Soldier
Running Loose
How to Eat Fried Worms
The View from the Cherry Tree
The Headless Cupid
Terrorist
A Time to Kill
Earth, My Butt, & Other Big Round Things
Lolita
Brokeback Mountain
The Kite Runner
Dangerous Girls
The Grapes of Wrath
Doll Baby
When Jeff Comes Home
A Series of Unfortunate Events (series)
Luna
What You Never Knew About Tubs, Toilets, & Showers
A Prayer for Owen Meany
Hold Fast
Lives of Girls and Women
Suite Française
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz
Underground To Canada
How Do You Spell Abducted?
Black Like Me
Doctor Zhivago
Snow Falling on Cedars
13: Thirteen Stories That Capture the Agony and
Ecstasy of Being Thirteen
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:22 am

Just to be clear, where have these books been banned? Across a whole state? Just one school? Or a whole country?

It is pretty shocking. But then, if I ran a school, would I ban creationist books for example? Probably. (Not trying to start a bun fight, just saying!)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:54 am

No, I wouldn't ban a book on creationism for the simple reason that people should be given the chance to make their own minds up. And if, for example, I read a book on creationism and decided it was nonsense then at least I've had the chance to find that out for myself.

I think that as far as this list is concerned, it varies. I think in some cases it was banned in States and possibly the whole country (USA), but in other cases it was counties, districts and individual schools.
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:11 am

I'd only ban it if I ran a school though... because then you're not letting people make their own minds up, you're teaching it as fact to children. Which is wrong IMHO
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:13 am

I should also say, I would never ever ban a book under any other circumstances, because then you're just making it seem attractive & giving it attention it doesn't deserve. And there's a reason we choose to live in a democratic society after all.
Dotsie

Postby silverstreak » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:03 pm

I've never heard of this banned books week,I think it's a really good idea.
Although the list which I've read stunned me.How people in authority can use social engineering in this way as an attempt to have their own prejudice and bigotry prevail leaves me bewildered.
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby stormblade » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:42 pm

IMHO the only books that should be banned are those that inspire or incite people to violence

for example if there was a book like How to build a bomb and best place to put it to cause maximum carnage it would be banned in my perfect world

sorry
May God give me
Courage to change thethings in life i need to change
Strength to accept the things I cant
Wisdom most of all to tell me the difference
stormblade

Postby Nac Mac Intyre » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:40 pm

That is a long list of books.

I find it disturbing that religious nutters (you can quote me!) are able to get into positions of power and are able to ban anything that does not fit their warped world view. Its ironic that there is a war being waged in Afghanistan against another lot of religious nutters, when argueably they probably have a great deal in common with the idiots that ban the books.

Its a mad world!

Slainte!

Nac Mac Intyre
Nac Mac Intyre

Postby swreader » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:53 am

I'm not sure why you folks in the UK don't seem to have as much of a problem with the question of banning books as we do in the US. In answer, a little more fully, to Dotsie-- the banning can be as a result of civic action (Sarah Palin asking the librarian at Wasilla if she had any objection to having the books on the shelves reviewed--answer YES! Palin tried to fire her but had to back down). It can be religious in nature, or it can be racial prejudice (pretty sure that's the problem with Huckleberry Finn and Uncle Tom's Cabin, and know it was black anger that caused Little Black Sambo to be withdrawn). Sometimes, as was suggested on another board, it can be as simple as a parent coming to the school (teacher, principal or school board) and raising a fuss about a required text (Catcher in the Rye, and Lord of the Flies have both fallen foul of this.)

But Tony is, in my opinion, absolutely right. There is no justification for banning books--anywhere, anytime, anyplace. To allow some is to open the door. It's like Sam's feelings about being home to read to young Sam at 6:00). Book burning has a long history in societies that engage in scapegoating and/or religious persecution. And even children have a right to read and learn to think, judge & evaluate--how else will they grow into wise, thoughtful adults?

And as someone on another board pointed out-- whose idea of creation? The Judeo-Christian is hardly the only major religion that has a creation story. Should they all be taught?

One doesn't have to like a book, or agree with it-- but that does not justify not allowing it to be available for people to read. How else can they make intelligent decisions to disagree. One of the things that irritates me greatly about most cases I know of where someone has raised a fuss about a book, or series of books. They haven't read the book. They say, they don't have to--they know Harry Potter is about wizards and wizard and witches are evil. Censorship is just plain wrong.
swreader

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:52 am

Kind of interesting that Fahrenheit 451 was banned considering a major theme of the book is the banning and burning of books.
Tonyblack

Postby Quilpusha » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:39 am

Oh! No.

* * * Runs around with head in hands - wailing. * * *

I have only just arrived and the 'C' word rears its ugly head. :? :wink:
Quilpusha

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:52 am

:lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Quilpusha » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:56 am