Favourite bit of Unseen Academicals (may contain spoilers)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby AM » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:32 pm

I like the "No relation"-thing everytime Bledlow Nobbs is mentioned. :D

I also liked the part when Glenda, Trev, Juliet found Nutt on the way to Sto Lat and how they and the other people from the bus helped Nutt feel better about him being an Orc
"Oh, please sue the University! We´ve got a pond full of people who tried to sue the University...! Going Postal
AM

Postby lyn » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:13 am

hi to everyone on this forum.
loved the book. the story. the characters. old and new.
I need to read it again and again..... like I do with all TP's books.
hope we get to see some of these characters in upcoming books.
lyn
lyn

Postby dibbler » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:33 pm

Ploughman's Pie? By far my fovorite part.
dibbler

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:17 pm

Welcome lyn and dibbler!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby lyn » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:52 am

thank you for your welcome Tina.
lyn
lyn

Postby raisindot » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:26 pm

My favorite was the chandelier (sp.) lighting scene at the football coach party, and Ridcully's and the audience's reaction to it.

In a university devoted to the study of magic, only someone like Nutt would have the ingenuity to use science to create a magical effect. It says more about his character that most of his long-winded speeches.

Jeff in Boston
raisindot

Postby AgnesOgg » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:44 pm

I like Drumknott making it quite clear that he owns his own paperclips :lol:
no, it`s a hippopotamus!
AgnesOgg

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:39 pm

Is this Nutt?

Nobby (no relation) Stiles. :lol:

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby bob.sather » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:12 pm

Does anyone know whether "bledlow" is a real (but obscure) word or a word that TP has coined? It sounds too English not to be real, somehow. (If there's a joke in it, please tell me.)
bob.sather

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:34 am

It is real not only but,It was an asylum in london for the criminal insane and others,if you wanted to get rid of elderly relatives you could pay to have them put there. :(
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:53 am

My favorite part was when the sherry was "talking" to Glenda. :lol:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:29 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:It is real not only but,It was an asylum in london for the criminal insane and others,if you wanted to get rid of elderly relatives you could pay to have them put there. :(
That was 'Bedlam' Dug, not 'Bledlow'. :wink:

As far as I can tell the name may be based on Bledlow is a village in Buckinghamshire - maybe a place Terry knows and decided to immortalise in the books. :D

Welcome to the site Bob! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:18 am

According to google Bledlow was used in a lot of Midsomer Murders... I am sure there is a job connection to the name but can't think.

I have just finished reading it ... unlike Pooh when I read a book it tends to be three sessions of WAM BAM THANK YOU MAM ... I take it slower with subsequent readings ...

I am not at all into football so I hated all that part but the characters I liked were Nutt and Glenda. I also like Juliet the fact that a beautiful girl was defending someone outside the norm ... instead of all the American teen films where the beautiful one is often the most vicious towards the 'orc!' THUMBS UP TERRY!!!!!

I also loved the Patrician but then I always do ... He did seem a bit more accessible and human showing that he does indeed have a sense of humour ... also a sense of ROMANCE ...

Ultimately my favourite bits were right towards the end when William De Worde made an appearance. I love that character and would love to see more of him ... another De Worde book please Terry? I was so hoping he was going to say: "This player really has two feet!" A famous Football Quote ... I think I even watched that match ... :shock:

Then Nutt saying to the crowd: "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!" A slight nod to Delia Smith when she yelled that on the Norwich pitch ... they lost!!!

Also later when Lady Margoletta said:"I would like you to teach them civilised behaviour!" "Yes of course, that would be quite possible ... And who would you send to teach the humans?"
There was a brief outburst of laughter from Vetinari ... YAY HE CAN LAUGH!!!!!!

But PEPE was a real surprise ... A fashion designer with more than a pair of scissors and pencils ...

All in all - aside from the football theme - I loved the book. But it would not have been the book without the football theme ... Suppose this is what Susan would call Chocolate with Nougat! But at least there's chocolate .... that's what counts.

erm I think that's my longest post!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:38 am

What about the Orc? :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:44 am

I liked the Orc ... didn't I make that clear? Besides, I find Tolkien a bit lazy as a writer - he lumps everyone into one basket ... I believe in Redemption ... and ol Nutt is a wonderful example of a Leopard changing his shorts 8) !

And I would say I would love a Watch book with the Medusa woman as a main character ...
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books