What Are You Reading? 3

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What Are You Reading? 3

Postby Catch-up » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:55 pm

Finished London Falling and really liked it better once they tied everything together. Still thought a couple of things were a bit thin though.

I've been reading Wintersmith to the girls. I must have the worst Feegle accent ever. :oops: :lol:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:37 pm

Finally getting round to reading Gaslight and Ghosts, the 1988 WorldCon book. Good so far :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:05 pm

I have never read mine either Mad, Just dug it out of the Bookcase I forgot Terry has a short story in it (Sphinx) did enjoy the Con though.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:48 am

I have that one. I think I only read Sphinx.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:16 am

Sphinx is a cheat anyway, it's not really a short story it's a section out of Pyramids. :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:36 am

I'm reading When God Was A Rabbit by Sarah Winman. A funny, sad, thoughtful book about family & friends.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:22 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:Sphinx is a cheat anyway, it's not really a short story it's a section out of Pyramids. :roll:

Oh yeah. I'd forgotten that!

Working my way through a library pile. Just finished reading A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams. Set in the 30's, romance, scandal, wealthy people. Not something I'd normally choose for myself, but a friend really recommended it. It was good enough that I didn't quit reading it, but nothing all that special.

Right now I'm working on Sea Change by S.M. Wheeler. Has a very Neil Gaiman feel to it so far. The blurb:

The unhappy child of two powerful parents who despise each other, young Lilly turns to the ocean to find solace, which she finds in the form of the eloquent and intelligent sea monster Octavius, a kraken. In Octavius’s many arms, Lilly learns of friendship, loyalty, and family. When Octavius, forbidden by Lilly to harm humans, is captured by seafaring traders and sold to a circus, Lilly becomes his only hope for salvation. Desperate to find him, she strikes a bargain with a witch that carries a shocking price.

Her journey to win Octavius’s freedom is difficult. The circus master wants a Coat of Illusions; the Coat tailor wants her undead husband back from a witch; the witch wants her skin back from two bandits; the bandits just want some company, but they might kill her first. Lilly's quest tests her resolve, tries her patience, and leaves her transformed in every way.
Catch-up

Postby chris.ph » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:46 pm

glass gods by kate griffin
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby AgnesOgg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:03 pm

Got Broken Homes in the mail today :D also, really enjoyed Glass Gods.
no, it`s a hippopotamus!
AgnesOgg

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:38 am

Wintersmith (Kindle)
Bryant & May and The Invisible Code (paperback)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:42 am

Got my copy (first of two) of Broken homes today as well . Looking forward to it .
Ben did an interview on BBC breakfast and sadly the interviewers knew feck all about his books -
http://t.co/j5Y8AJnoUe
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:14 am

I'm currently rushing to get through the last volumes of Monster by Naoki Urasawa. Excellent manga series.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:30 am

I've started The Witches of Chiswick by Robert Rankin. Really enjoying it so far. I've been wanting to read it for a while but it got pushed down my mountainous 'to read' pile. Thanks for the heads up, I think, Dug :)
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:40 am

Rankin is mad. Rankin is potty.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby raisindot » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Slogging through Inferno by Dan Brown. He is truly one of the worst writers ever to grace the bestseller list, but reading him is like eating Cheetos--you know it's bad for you but you can't stop. And the saving grace of this is that, like he did with Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code, Brown does paint a very interesting picture (puns intended) of the history, architecture, and artistic things-to-see in the locales where the otherwise cliched, one-dimensional story occurs.
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books