Deja Vu, but not Deja Vu

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Deja Vu, but not Deja Vu

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Ok, I was watching a video by Vsauce on youtube (excellent and informative stuff, you should check them out) about Deja vu. and what it was and what causes it.

As I'm watching though the question occurs to me, what is it called when you get deja vu, but instead of thinking you've experienced something again what happens is you've seen the event before in a dream?

It's happened my whole life as far as I can remember. dream something, then sometime later it happens. not all the time. and usually it's something minor, but sometimes it can be specific. like seeing a movie before it's existed (and the circumstance which you saw it. like who was there, where, etc). for me games i haven't played yet, or people i haven't met yet. then it happens and usually it's just like the dream.

generally i've never really talked about it, but when I went to ask about it in the comments I kept seeing the same thing again and again and again. reading through there were so many people asking about the same thing.

So i'm curious, anyone here experienced that?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Re: Deja Vu, but not Deja Vu

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:16 pm

Precognition? :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Ghost » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:20 pm

Yes and it's saved my life at least once
I was walking home in high winds and had this urge to go into a gully for no reason and seconds later
a house for sale sign blew by at head level
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby michelanCello » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:54 pm

I know the feeling, but for me it's usually minor things, like a conversation.
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby chris.ph » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:17 pm

i knew you were going to say that mc :whistle: :whistle:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Batty » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:39 pm

chris.ph wrote:i knew you were going to say that mc :whistle: :whistle:

:lol:

I usually dream events - although not regularly.

Our old house in London was strange though. Sometimes we'd see events occur via the television, before they happened!
We used to talk about a subject and no one could understand what we were on about. And then sometime later it would happen.
It could take days, weeks, or years, though. We both saw the news update that the actor Herve Vilechaize had shot & killed himself at his home, while his girlfriend was there. Our work colleagues couldn't understand why we refused to believe he wasn't dead - until he did commit suicide 2 days later! :confusion-shrug:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:21 pm

I was doing the washing up last night and thought - whatever happened to Yuri Geller?

Today I checked the BBC iPlayer and there was a TV show about him. :o I believe in you Yuri!
Tonyblack

Postby Batty » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:38 pm

I hope you didn't bend any spoons while you were washing up, Tony?! :lol:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Batty wrote:I hope you didn't bend any spoons while you were washing up, Tony?! :lol:

That's what got me thinking about him. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby janet » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:42 pm

A couple of times I dreamed the winner of the Grand National but, as I don't bet, did nothing. Once I realised this was happening it stopped. I put this down to Sod's Law.....or Murphy's Law.......most of those bookies are Irish anyway :lol:
(Sorry ,my train of thought often jumps the points and makes no sense at all)
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby michelanCello » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:46 pm

chris.ph wrote:i knew you were going to say that mc :whistle: :whistle:

:lol:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:55 pm

A work colleague once got me so mad that I briefly wished his chair would break when he sat on it. A couple of days later it did :shock: To say he deserved it (he really did) is no excuse - with great power comes great responsibility. I haven't wished for anything since, to be in the safe side.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby =Tamar » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:04 am

michelanCello wrote:I know the feeling, but for me it's usually minor things, like a conversation.

Precognition is like that for me, too - almost always something utterly minor, of interest only to me. Sometimes others are affected as well, but my subconscious mind is very self-oriented.

Rather a lot of the time I don't pay enough attention to those little "feelings", e.g. I feel that I should bring a jacket and rationally decide that my summer cotton sweater will be enough, then I get to the place and the A/C is cranked up to counteract body heat of a thousand people and there are only 20 people there and I'm freezing.
Last edited by =Tamar on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
=Tamar

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:40 am

Dotsie wrote:A work colleague once got me so mad that I briefly wished his chair would break when he sat on it. A couple of days later it did :shock: To say he deserved it (he really did) is no excuse - with great power comes great responsibility. I haven't wished for anything since, to be in the safe side.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:40 am

:lol: should have wished for a bag of money to fall from the sky. :D

So, all this, It begs the questions then. what is it? How does it work?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Next

Return to The Broken Drum