So, you've discovered Discworld...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: So, you've discovered Discworld...

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:19 pm

Welcome Kat! :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi and Welcome to the forum Kat. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Kemist » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:00 am

I'm totally new to Discworld, but enthusiastic to share my introduction to it.

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?

Earlier this year I finished the fourth book in the "Song of Ice and Fire" series and was looking for a new series while waiting for "A Dance with Dragons" to come out in paperback. I found an American thriller series but I had trouble identifying with a main Character Who Can Do No Wrong. In the meantime, my friend invited me to see a production of Monstrous Regiment at the Toronto Fringe Festival in which his daughter was playing Polly Perks. I thoroughly enjoyed the play, (which took place just 1 week ago) and when I came home I read the Wikipedia articles on Terry Ptratchett and on Discworld. I became fascinated with the Rincewind character - he seemed like a character I could identify with - so the next day I went to the local bookstore and bought a copy of The Colour of Magic. I'm halfway through it and I've now ordered the next three novels in the series.

2. What was your first Discworld book?

While my first Discworld story was "Monstrous Regiment", my first Discworld book is "The Colour of Magic".

3. Will you read more?

Definitely! This is a lot of fun. Rincewind rocks!

4. Which one do you intend to read next?

"The Light Fantastic". I intend to read them in order.

5. If you didn't start with "The Colour of Magic", how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you find that some background knowledge was necessary?

N/A. I started with "The Colour of Magic"
Kemist

Postby =Tamar » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:28 am

Kemist wrote:I'm totally new to Discworld, but enthusiastic to share my introduction to it.
I became fascinated with the Rincewind character - he seemed like a character I could identify with - so the next day I went to the local bookstore and bought a copy of The Colour of Magic. I'm halfway through it and I've now ordered the next three novels in the series.

"The Light Fantastic". I intend to read them in order."

Excellent idea! Especially since "The Light Fantastic" follows on directly from the first book, with Rincewind.
=Tamar

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:46 am

Welcome to the site and the world of Pratchett, Kemist! :D

You have a lot of treats ahead of you as Sir Terry's work gets better and better.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:37 am

Hellooo and welcome Kemist. The books and writing style definitely get better as you go along. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby MissVetinari » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:59 am

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?
I was about ten years old and there were some Terry Pratchett's in our school library. My older brother had recommended him to me.

2. What was your first Discworld book?
The Colour of Magic, it cracked me up as a ten year old and the randomness was so delightful and refreshing.

3. Will you read more?
Of course, I mean to collect them all. Silly question. ;)

I recently succeeded in getting my parents hooked on Terry Pratchett (a success years in the making) thanks to Sam Vimes, and so I am reading through all the Vimes books, just finished Night Watch last night, and so I came to this site looking for a list of all the Vimes books in order (could a chronological list based on the characters (the witches, wizards, watch, death etc.) be located somewhere?) I skipped from Feet of Clay to Night Watch and I think Carpe Juggulum is inbetween, so if I can get my hands on it, I will probably read that next. =)

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
Actually, I found that Colour of Magic was so Random, it might be better to start with the first of the other books, like Equal Rites. Some books I have seen have the character outlines and other descriptions in the back, which helps to fill in the gaps. But I feel that once you are introduced to the characters (such as Death, or Esme Weatherwax, or Sam Vimes) it is easy to read any of the books about them.
MissVetinari

Postby pip » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Latest reading guide by book strand
http://pinterest.com/pin/273523377341457454/

'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:17 pm

I often recommend Guards! Guards! as, not only a good book to start the Guards series, but a good one to start Pratchett on. :D
Tonyblack

Postby MissVetinari » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:29 pm

My mistake, just had an update on all the Vimes books (scrolling through the timeline) and it must be the Fifth Elephant I'm thinking of, with the Werewolves.

So, for all who might wander onto my reply, seeking Vimes' in chronological order, here they are:
1. Guards! Guards!
2. Men at Arms
3. Feet of Clay
4. Jingo
5. The Fifth Elephant
6. Night Watch
7. Thud! (My favorite!)
(see also, Where's My Cow?)
8. Snuff
(see also, The World of Poo)
MissVetinari

Postby MissVetinari » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Argh, argh, argh, pip, thanks so much for that map of the books, that's awesome.
MissVetinari

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:46 pm

Yes, The Fifth Elephant has werewolves. :)
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:53 pm

MissVetinari wrote:Argh, argh, argh, pip, thanks so much for that map of the books, that's awesome.

No worries.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raisindot » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:13 pm

MissVetinari wrote:My mistake, just had an update on all the Vimes books (scrolling through the timeline) and it must be the Fifth Elephant I'm thinking of, with the Werewolves.

So, for all who might wander onto my reply, seeking Vimes' in chronological order, here they are:
1. Guards! Guards!
2. Men at Arms
3. Feet of Clay
4. Jingo
5. The Fifth Elephant
6. Night Watch
7. Thud! (My favorite!)
(see also, Where's My Cow?)
8. Snuff
(see also, The World of Poo)

It does help if you read Thief of Time and The Truth after The Fifth Elephant and before Night Watch since events in the these books provide context for what happens in future Vimes books.
raisindot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:29 pm

MissVetinari wrote:Argh, argh, argh, pip, thanks so much for that map of the books, that's awesome.

Also if you click on Books at the top of the page it takes to the timeline of all the books and related stuff etc.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels