What Are You Reading? 3

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What Are You Reading? 3

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:47 pm

I'm about 1/3 of the way through London Falling by Paul Cornell. Sort of similar to the Ben Aaronovitch books, but not as entertaining. Still good so far though!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby pip » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:57 pm

Catch-up wrote:I'm about 1/3 of the way through London Falling by Paul Cornell. Sort of similar to the Ben Aaronovitch books, but not as entertaining. Still good so far though!

The other half loved it but shes a West Ham supporter which fits well with the book. Paul Cornell was a Doctor Who screenwriter like Ben Aaronovitch so a few similarities
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Penfold » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:51 pm

pip wrote:
Catch-up wrote:I'm about 1/3 of the way through London Falling by Paul Cornell. Sort of similar to the Ben Aaronovitch books, but not as entertaining. Still good so far though!

The other half loved it but shes a West Ham supporter which fits well with the book. Paul Cornell was a Doctor Who screenwriter like Ben Aaronovitch so a few similarities

Obviously a lady of exceptional taste if her choice of football team is anything to go by. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby pip » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:51 am

Had to dress poor Harry in Claret and Blue a few times
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Penfold » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:54 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sounds like a future Hammer in the making. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby pip » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:05 am

Well the plan is to bring him to Upton park next October for his Grandads sixtieth. We'll see what happens.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:50 am

I knew they were both Doctor Who writers only because Q pointed it out when he mentioned the book here. Otherwise, they're different enough that I don't think I would have mentioned the comparison. Not being a sports fan, the West Ham thing doesn't connect as much, but it's still early in. I may have questions, but I'll pm someone so I don't post any spoilers.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby pip » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:51 am

Enjoy it anyway. sequel is out in April next year
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:59 am

Definitely enjoying it! :D
Catch-up

Postby pip » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:04 pm

UK edition of Ben Aaronovitch Broken Homes out next week. sadly not in the states til next year.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:13 am

Too bad. :( Really looking forward to reading the next one!
Catch-up

Postby pip » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:55 am

Catch-up wrote:Too bad. :( Really looking forward to reading the next one!

Catchup , you can order the UK version off http://www.thebookdepository.com with free delivery. Great way of getting books released earlier somewhere else. :D They will deliver to the states on the release in 7 days
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Wow, very cool! Thank you Pip. :D
Catch-up

Postby Quatermass » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:55 am

pip wrote:

I actually preferred Cornell to Aaronovitch, to be perfectly honest. In fact, to a degree, this applies to their Doctor Who novels as well.

For those who want a taste of Paul Cornell's best Doctor Who book (IMO), while Love and War is hard to get nowadays (I was lucky to find a second hand copy), it was adapted as a two-hour audio play by Big Finish.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby majomull » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Just finished "The Dirty Streets of Heaven" by Tad Williams. Its an urban fantasy featuring angels and their adventures/shenanigans. Not a bad weekend read if you like the genre.
Whiskey is sunlight held together with water.
majomull

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books