Anyone else read the dune books

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Anyone else read the dune books

Postby stormblade » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:50 pm

im a great fan of the dune books have read all but the last (was waiting for paperback (see othe post re being a cheapskate))

a great story to follow thou hard to get your head round some of the later books
May God give me
Courage to change thethings in life i need to change
Strength to accept the things I cant
Wisdom most of all to tell me the difference
stormblade

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:54 pm

I've actually got the first one sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. A good friend sent me a copy along with a bunch of other books and I simply haven't got around to reading it yet.

So many books - so little time. :(
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby stormblade » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:03 pm

the first one is a long hard read but when you get into the next few they seam to fly by

its not often you see a son take over the writing of the father but they do it so well
May God give me
stormblade

Postby chris.ph » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:21 pm

bought the dvd for 11pounds a few years ago and the following saturday they gave it away for free in the paper :x :P :lol: :x
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby mspanners » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:34 am

Yes I have read them but it was a long time ago though. The books are fairly good SciFi with some mysticism thrown in, last book has a weird ending if I recall correctly (I will not spoil it by printing the synopsis of the book). The movie was ok but not a touch on the book.
mspanners

Postby stormblade » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:19 pm

the remade the film for si fi a few years back mach better mch closer to the books they did dune and childeren of dune
May God give me
stormblade

Postby mspanners » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:43 am

I think there was a TV series but the film I watched had Sting and Patrick Stewart in it, entertaining but not as good as the first book which was as far as the story line got...........the end of the first book, but not true to the story lines ending of the first book.
mspanners

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:04 pm

I've read the series up until Frank Herbert died (so 6?) but haven't revisited those for ages and didn't know that his son was continuing the series. I found them quite frustrating in ways but prophetic in others - in Chapterhouse (I think if that's the last of Frank's works) the bit at the end when Idaho escapes with the catlady/renegade Mother Superior and they boldy go into hyperspace or the end of the universe - or both and meet the weird old man and woman? Anyway didn't they have something like that in Deep Space Nine - the creator-type characters?

Everyone borrows off everyone else of course. David (Twin Peaks) Lynch directed the Sting*/Kyle (Sex and the City) McClachlan/Patrick Stewart motion picture which got panned critically and at the box-office, but has since become a cult classic - the sandworms are hopeless now in these CGI days but they were pretty scary at the time...

*What a stinky Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen he made - though nice to look at! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby lawrenson » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:48 pm

Hi,

to be fair, I thought the remake by the Sci-Fi channel was pretty good too.

The follow-up wasnt however...

Cheers,
Karen
lawrenson

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:06 pm

I could never get into the Dune books, personally, and I did try very hard. I saw the Film, but have not seen the TV series'.

Cheers, Vena
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Postby Tiffany » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:05 pm

Like you, Vena, I saw the film, I've got it on video as well, but I couldn't get into the books either.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby rissoles » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:39 pm

Dune, the first book, is a standalone masterpiece of SF/Fantasy. I first read it when I was a boy and have re read it many times. I would THOROUGHLY recommend it to anyone remotely inclined to that genre.

The second and third books were not bad but not a patch on the first. They reminded me more of someone rambling but that is me.

Frank Herbert wrote many fine novels and is well worth investigating.

So sayeth Rissoles, the fifth day of February 2009!
rissoles

Postby boohoo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:21 am

Read the 1st book years ago then again more recently, I've got the children of Dune and read them a few times. The books were great, the films/tv in their own right were good but didn't match up to the expectations I had, this is probably true for most of the books I read (I think David Jason is one of the best but he didn't do it for me in the Colour of Magic).

Then again I did read The DeVinci Code and seen the Film because everyone was going on about it. I thought both of them were pants but the film probably shaded it because the thing was rewritten by some proper writers .
Don't Get Mad, Get a Lawyer
This thread is sponsored by the Lawyers' Guild
LVCRE SERMAT
boohoo

Re: Anyone else read the dune books

Postby kakaze » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:43 pm

stormblade wrote:im a great fan of the dune books have read all but the last (was waiting for paperback (see othe post re being a cheapskate))

a great story to follow thou hard to get your head round some of the later books

I have, but only the first 4 or 5. I usually don't like dirivative books by deceased author's children.

I liked Dune and Children of Dune the most. God Emperor of Dune was good, but I felt that Dune Messiah kind of dragged on.

I just wish that he'd written more about the son's adventures with the second skin; I thought that was a really cool idea.
kakaze

Postby chris.ph » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:14 pm

what about the pern books kakaze as todd, annes son has taken over the reigns and is doing a good job as well so far
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books