2014 DWcon Manchester - The Grand Exhibition!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: 2014 DWcon Manchester - The Grand Exhibition!

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri May 31, 2013 3:51 pm

:handgestures-thumbup:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri May 31, 2013 8:48 pm

And next year with the Worldcon in London I will not have to cancell at the last minute like the last time. :D :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri May 31, 2013 9:12 pm

:dance:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Square12 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:34 am

Worldcon?
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:08 am

World Science Fiction Convention

http://www.loncon3.org/
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby =Tamar » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:19 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:World Science Fiction Convention

Roughly a long weekend between the Discworld convention in Manchester and Worldcon in London. Could make a nice vacation.
=Tamar

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:11 pm

=Tamar wrote:
The Mad Collector wrote:World Science Fiction Convention

Roughly a long weekend between the Discworld convention in Manchester and Worldcon in London. Could make a nice vacation.

And tree days later after Worldcon, Eurocon in Dublin http://www.shamrokon.ie/ oh busy, busy, busy = skint after :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:32 am

If you want to go get in soon!! :mrgreen:

We have just sold member number A788, and so we now have 100 memberships left! You are all so amazing that we can only fit so much awesomeness in the Convention hotel at once (that and something about fire regulations and fitting people into event rooms), and so we will stop selling memberships to the Discworld Convention 2014 when we reach A888 (or possibly A7a7a7a. Eh?).

After that time, existing supporting members will still be able to upgrade to an attending membership.

We are still amazed and thrilled by how quickly the Convention is filling up, and this makes us at least 2 and a third times more eager to fill the programme with exciting things for you all to do in August 2014.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:05 pm

Ok! Taking a deep breath here and plunging in! So, I booked a supporting membership a few months ago, with no further plans. Now, I'm really trying to make this work (hope I'm not jinxing myself!). I don't have a room booked and I understand the first two hotels are sold out. I've been checking flights into Manchester, and not finding anything less than $1200. :shock: Any tips, advice?
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:33 pm

Hey Suzanne - try this link http://dwcon.org/pages/12/hotel-information as it shows a third hotel, the Jury's Inn that they added a little while ago. That page also has a contact email for the Star Turtle's hotel booking team so they might be able to give you some other options including dropouts from the other two places. :D

The venue and main hotel the Palace is right in the heart of the Manchester, so there's loads of other places to stay around there, just make sure you're nearer to Manchester's Oxford Road railway station (NOT Piccadilly Station - I kept making this mistake and it's not as close to the Palace) - the Palace postcode is M60 7HA
Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Even Susanne is going! Can't believe I'm missing this :( hope you'll be able to arrange everything!
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Catch-up » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks Jan! Don't mind walking a few minutes to the main hotel. Looks like my potential roomie has already held something, although there was a little confusion about the difference between a double and a twin. Different meanings between here and there. :D

Don't be sad Mici! :( Hopefully we'll get to meet another time! I'm going to do my best to make it. Hubby is really pushing me to go, especially since we found out that there might not be any more NADWcons. If I can just get past the sticker shock of the airfare.... doesn't help that it's right before xmas!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:27 pm

Susanne, have you checked the airfares to other UK airports? Sometimes the London ones are cheaper.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks Tony, I did. Weirdly, it's more expensive to fly into London. I don't know if there's any benefit to waiting or if the prices will only go up?
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:59 pm

Susanne have tried skyscraper website for cheaper flights. :)
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett