Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:41 am

I agree with Jan in all except one thing - I'm against capital punishment because I just don't think killing anyone can be justified. Killing a man, for whatever reason, removes a part of your humanity that you can never get back.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:53 am

A DJ behind a royal prank call linked to the death of a UK nurse has sued her employer, saying it failed to provide a safe workplace, local media say.

Mel Greig's lawyer said a complaint against Southern Cross Austereo had been lodged with Fair Work Australia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23243308

Huh?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:59 am

I always found that one a bit odd. The DJ was in the wrong but pretty much doing what most DJs do. The blame for the suicide was a bit harsh as there was obviously a lot more to it than the call. In saying that now the DJ is making a proper twat of themselves with a ridiculous lawsuit.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:53 am

This is probably because she's out of work, and wants some money.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Hmmm sounds mildly plausible :roll:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Dotsie wrote:I agree with Jan in all except one thing - I'm against capital punishment because I just don't think killing anyone can be justified. Killing a man, for whatever reason, removes a part of your humanity that you can never get back.

Then we totally agree Dotsie (just didn't put everything I think about CP on that down ;) ) My reasoning on not killing ever is a little more pragmatic however. As we constantly see with Ian Brady, life imprisonment is a far worse punishment than a quick dance on the noose, or a prick of a lethal needle. Not taking a killer's life, but making it as constrained and worthless as possible is a far more fitting fate for contemplation of your foul actions and a better justice for those lives that were irrevocably ruined for the families and loved ones of the victim(s). :snooty:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Batty » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:07 pm

To be fair to Mel Greig, she seems genuinely upset and sorry for the nurse's death. Her cohort, Michael Christian hasn't shown the same level of contrition.

Nurse Jacintha Saldanha did blame the prank call in her suicide note, as to the reason why she committed suicide, and Mel Greig also offered to attend the inquest and to apologize personally to the nurse's family.
Mel hasn't worked since, although Michael has been given his own show time slot.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby pip » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Batty wrote:To be fair to Mel Greig, she seems genuinely upset and sorry for the nurse's death. Her cohort, Michael Christian hasn't shown the same level of contrition.

Nurse Jacintha Saldanha did blame the prank call in her suicide note, as to the reason why she committed suicide, and Mel Greig also offered to attend the inquest and to apologize personally to the nurse's family.
Mel hasn't worked since, although Michael has been given his own show time slot.

Saying that the call caused the suicide is like saying Franz Ferdinands assassination caused WW1 . There were much deeper issues to allow this tip her over the edge.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Batty » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:14 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
Dotsie wrote:I agree with Jan in all except one thing - I'm against capital punishment because I just don't think killing anyone can be justified. Killing a man, for whatever reason, removes a part of your humanity that you can never get back.

Then we totally agree Dotsie (just didn't put everything I think about CP on that down ;) ) My reasoning on not killing ever is a little more pragmatic however. As we constantly see with Ian Brady, life imprisonment is a far worse punishment than a quick dance on the noose, or a prick of a lethal needle. Not taking a killer's life, but making it as constrained and worthless as possible is a far more fitting fate for contemplation of your foul actions and a better justice for those lives that were irrevocably ruined for the families and loved ones of the victim(s). :snooty:

Totally agree with Jan, although I have an additional reason against CP.
If a murderer is surrounded by the police, then why should he/she, give themselves up, if they are going to perform the hemp fandango, or equivalent, by doing so?
They'd have nothing to lose if they took out as many coppers as necessary, in the hope of escaping, as the sentence for killing one person or dozens will be the same.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Batty » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:16 pm

pip wrote:
Batty wrote:To be fair to Mel Greig, she seems genuinely upset and sorry for the nurse's death. Her cohort, Michael Christian hasn't shown the same level of contrition.

Saying that the call caused the suicide is like saying Franz Ferdinands assassination caused WW1 . There were much deeper issues to allow this tip her over the edge.

The nurse wrote it in her suicide note, pip.

Personally, I agree that she must have had other issues, but according to her suicide note, the prank call was her tipping point.
Batty

Postby raisindot » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Dotsie wrote: Killing a man, for whatever reason, removes a part of your humanity that you can never get back.

One could argue FOR capital punishment by saying that a murderer removes all of his victim's humanity. :?
raisindot

Postby pip » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Batty wrote:
pip wrote:

The nurse wrote it in her suicide note, pip.

Personally, I agree that she must have had other issues, but according to her suicide note, the prank call was her tipping point.

This simplifies suicide way too much and putting them down to one definitive incident negates all the psychological issues related to it. If this didn't set it off I'd bet money something else would have at some point. Bear in mind that suicide notes are written by someone most definitely not in there right mind at the time.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:26 pm

raisindot wrote:
Dotsie wrote: Killing a man, for whatever reason, removes a part of your humanity that you can never get back.

One could argue FOR capital punishment by saying that a murderer removes all of his victim's humanity. :?

I'm worried about my humanity. I couldn't give a guilty verdict on a jury if I knew that would mean a death sentence, but I couldn't give a not guilty verdict if I knew they were guilty :confusion-seeingstars: And as Jano says, life imprisonment is a worse punishment anyway (unless Europe gets its way and we're not allowed to do that anymore).
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:25 pm

I think the most eloquent argument for not having capital punishment is the Derek Bentley case (the 'Let him have it, Chris' case where Bentley's 16 yr old accomplice shot a pursuing policeman dead).

Because Bentley was the legal adult (he was 19 at the time, although I think there's proof now that he may have been educationally sub-normal so there's doubt as to his legal culpability) he was hanged, even though he didn't kill the copper and his alleged call to his friend was ambiguous as the policeman had been shouting for him to put the gun down. Both teenagers denied that Bentley had said anything of the kind (which would in any case have been a little stupid as Bentley was being physically restrained by one of the policemen answering the 999 call). Because of his age, even though he hadn't shot anyone Bentley was sentenced to hang and his friend was sent to prison and was released 10 years later.

On my planet both men would have been imprisoned for what was a 'professional' crime, rather than one in which there was deliberate murderous intent. Even at the time in 1953, Bentley's mental competency was an issue (he was illiterate and assessed as being borderline retarded by medical examiners), but, as one policeman died and another was injured and Bentley had been carrying a knife and knuckle duster although he never used either, the full weight of the law fell on him.

Bentley, who had been refused for national service because he was unfit for military service as a result of assessments made while he served time as a juvenile in an approved school (juvenile prison), was eventually pardoned in 1998 after a long campaign by his sister. This is a case where there was guilt and conviction as such was justified, it's just a pity that he had to be executed as, unlike a psycho nut job like Ian Brady, he could have benefited from remedial education in custody. Bentley, who had a measured IQ of 77 was injured in a bombing raid in WW2, receiving blows to the head that likely caused his learning problems.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:49 am

A 41-year-old Waukesha man was charged last week with allegedly arguing (loudly) on behalf of one of America’s lesser known freedoms: the right of a man to love a goat.

Shaun Keith Orris was charged on June 13 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with carrying a concealed weapon and disorderly conduct, allegedly asking strangers outside a bar: “Do you think it’s right to [expletive] a goat.”

Its an issue that perhaps demands attention after half-a-dozen beers and a couple shots, which allegedly prompted Shaun Keith Orris’ prurient outburst.

According to the criminal complaint, Waukesha City Police were dispatched at 2:45 a.m. June 13 to Waukesha’s Montecito Ristorante Lounge, 257 West Broadway, after receiving a call from Orris complaining he was “battered and bloodied” for asking strangers his strange question.

The owner of Montecito told police that Orris had been drinking heavily and began asking other patrons whether they believed it was their constitutional right to have sex with a goat, according to the complaint.

The owner asked Orris to leave, but he refused, the complaint reads. At one point, Orris became belligerent and the owner said he “directed him to the floor,” leaving a cut on Orris’ head.

Orris said that after the altercation with the bartender he went back home, showered, and returned with a 5-inch long pocketknife, according to the complaint.

Orris was arrested and taken to Waukesha Memorial Hospital, where he became increasingly agitated, screaming that it was a constitutional right to have sex with a goat, the complaint reads. Orris then said he thought the situation was hilarious and fell into “several fits of laughter.”

To answer Orris’ question, Wisconsin Statute 944.17 (c) (d) expressly forbids committing an act of sexual gratification with an animal.

Orris could face up to a year in prison, $11,000 in fines, or both, if convicted.

His next expected court date is June 28.

Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum