What Are You Reading? 3

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What Are You Reading? 3

Postby pip » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:55 am

I'll persevere out of shear stubbornness and a misplaced sense of loyalty. Three books came out together that I really wanted to read . Started with The Quarry, now on the Long War and then onto the Ocean at the End of the Lane (limited edition slipcase looks bloody amazing, arrived this morning). I suppose its too much to expect all of them to live up to expectation .
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:00 am

Can I confess that...

...I got bored part way through The Long Earth, and stopped reading it. I may go back to it one day, if there's nothing else to read. The Long War is the first Pratchett that I haven't bought immediately (I might not bother).

I am way behind on my reading.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby pip » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:13 am

My reading has dropped drastically in the last year for obvious reasons. I'm averaging a book a week at best which is not too bad I suppose.
I contemplated not getting this book until the reviews are in but I tend to preorder everything months in advance and gave in.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:25 pm

Dotsie wrote:Can I confess that...

...I got bored part way through The Long Earth, and stopped reading it. I may go back to it one day, if there's nothing else to read. The Long War is the first Pratchett that I haven't bought immediately (I might not bother).

I am way behind on my reading.

I have the same confession to make. I got through one more chapter and gave up. Instead I finished Dearly Devoted Dexter, which was excellent and have started The Uninvited by Liz Jensen. I'm only about 1/4 of the way in, but it's really good so far. The blurb:

A seven-year-old girl puts a nail gun to her grandmother's neck and fires. An isolated incident, say the experts. The experts are wrong. Across the world, children are killing their families. Is violence contagious? As chilling murders by children grip the country, anthropologist Hesketh Lock has his own mystery to solve: a bizarre scandal in the Taiwan timber industry.

Hesketh has never been good at relationships: Asperger's Syndrome has seen to that. But he does have a talent for spotting behavioral patterns and an outsider's fascination with group dynamics. Nothing obvious connects Hesketh's Asian case with the atrocities back home. Or with the increasingly odd behavior of his beloved stepson, Freddy. But when Hesketh's Taiwan contact dies shockingly and more acts of sabotage and child violence sweep the globe, he is forced to acknowledge possibilities that defy the rational principles on which he has staked his life, his career, and, most devastatingly of all, his role as a father.

Part psychological thriller, part dystopian nightmare, The Uninvited is a powerful and viscerally unsettling portrait of apocalypse in embryo.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:15 pm

Because of the reviews here I have not bothered to buy it as yet 1st time Ihave waited this long for one.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby =Tamar » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:54 am

Beyond the Fields We Know, a 1972 reprint of books by Lord Dunsany that originally were printed 1906-1916 and not reprinted until this edition. Page one of The Gods of Pegana (1906) describes the maker of small gods...
=Tamar

Postby Quatermass » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:22 am

I finished The Long War on Saturday, and today, I finally got to read (after nearly a three year hiatus) the next volume of the manga series Monster.

The Long War was pretty good, but it lacked something of Pratchett. It feels more like Stephen Baxter was writing it. Not a bad thing by any means, save for that there are two authors on the front cover. Good book, but lacked the wonder and discovery of the original, substituting it with more human drama (not a bad thing, but the lack of wonder was telling).

Monster volume 6, while as good, was altogether more welcome. I have the first five volumes of Monster, but when I ordered volumes 6 and 7, I only got 7, due to volume 6 going out of [EFF!]ing print (which it remains to this day). However, I did finally find the sixth volume at a library I joined, and it was like an old friend coming back. Great thriller series, and debatably the best manga series of all time. Now, hopefully, I can read the whole thing from beginning to end...

Next on the list? The Sandman: The Dream Hunters.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:50 am

Thief of Time (Kindle).
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby chris.ph » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:15 pm

book two of the fat vampire series, bloody funny and nearly free on the kindle :dance: :dance:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:39 pm

chris.ph wrote:book two of the fat vampire series, bloody funny and nearly free on the kindle :dance: :dance:

Is that what they're called Chris. :?:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby pip » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:37 am

About half way through The Ocean at the End of the Lane.
Its such a joy to read after trudging through The Long Earth.
Like all Neil Gaiman books its fairly unique and nothing like his other adult novels in Style.It flows very well and catches you right from the start.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:18 am

Manly men on Twitter have been admitting to shedding a tear at the end of Ocean.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:45 am

Oy Spoiler alert you sod . Now i'm expecting a sad ending
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:49 am

It might be sad, it might be uplifting, it might be that they dropped the book on their teeny tiny toes.

;)

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:55 am

:roll:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books