Vimes in movie

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Vimes in movie

Postby Dotsie » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:54 am

Sandman wrote:Well, call me whatever you like

I'm sure our American members will be along to fulfil that wish soon enough.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jo of the Gates » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:23 pm

You bet we will!
I have no epithets for you, Sandman (well, maybe "chauvinist" suggests itself), but there is no earthly - or Discworldly - logical reason an American could not portray Sam Vimes brilliantly. Many British actors have portrayed Americans without American audiences crying foul. Daniel Day-Lewis (OK, I know he's Irish) played Abraham Lincoln, for crying out loud! My own first choice to play Vimes has portrayed Englishmen at least twice before.Image. (Holmes and Chaplin) As an aside here--Renee Zellweger played Bridgit Jones so well that fellow actors who did not know her before refused to believe she was a Texan. And speaking of Texans - going further aside - have you seen Michael Caine in Secondhand Lions? He portrayed a "good ole boy" Texan flawlessly. And I am one Texan who can spot a phony drawl a mile off!
All in good fun, of course, Sandman.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
--Douglas Adams
Jo of the Gates

Postby Penfold » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:40 am

I have to say that having been watching "The Following" since the beginning, Kevin Bacon has done nothing to change my opinion that he would be perfect in the Vimes role. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Alanz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:01 pm

NaaaaaaaaaaaH not Kevin Bacon... :naughty: What about Sir Anthony Hopkins :?: :D
Alanz

Postby Jo of the Gates » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:33 pm

I believe Hopkins is too old. Kevin Bacon is not a bad choice, but I've seen him in many roles I hated, and I'm not sure I could get around that!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
--Douglas Adams
Jo of the Gates

Postby Alanz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:59 pm

I keep thinking about that Phone advert :naughty:
Alanz

Postby DreadfulKata » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Jo of the Gates wrote:You bet we will!
I have no epithets for you, Sandman (well, maybe "chauvinist" suggests itself), but there is no earthly - or Discworldly - logical reason an American could not portray Sam Vimes brilliantly. Many British actors have portrayed Americans without American audiences crying foul. Daniel Day-Lewis (OK, I know he's Irish) played Abraham Lincoln, for crying out loud! My own first choice to play Vimes has portrayed Englishmen at least twice before.Image. (Holmes and Chaplin) As an aside here--Renee Zellweger played Bridgit Jones so well that fellow actors who did not know her before refused to believe she was a Texan. And speaking of Texans - going further aside - have you seen Michael Caine in Secondhand Lions? He portrayed a "good ole boy" Texan flawlessly. And I am one Texan who can spot a phony drawl a mile off!
All in good fun, of course, Sandman.

While I enjoyed RDJ in Sherlock Holmes and agree his and Renee Zellweger are examples of pretty flawless English accents, there's still always something off about them to me. It's like... it's undoubtedly an accurate English accent but no ACTUAL English person would sound like that? Same goes for Elijah Wood in LoTR and so on. And I always feel like it's difficult to get past the accent to the performance. Both performances felt slightly stilted to me, like the actors were concentrating so hard on how they were speaking they were unable to be fully natural in the part. With parts like Sherlock Holmes and Bridget Jones, the larger-than-life comedic nature of the characters means this doesn't matter, but I think a Vimes needs to be totally naturalistic.

I guess I'd also just wonder WHY you'd cast an American when there are many Brits who'd be great for the part. I actually think you get a much better class of actor on projects like this in Britain than equivalent ones in America. I think because British actors work for less and there's a smaller pool of them :)

For example, compare the British and American incarnations of 'Being Human': in Britain a project like that can be a major-channel show and attract actors like Phil Davies and Russell Tovey as regulars. In America (or Canada I think it was filmed), the actors are all beautiful unknowns with considerably less talent and experience, and made very much as a genre show.

I know I'm generalising, but if we're talking about actors you'd realistically get to sign up to this kind of project, I'd have more confidence in the British acting pool than the American.
DreadfulKata

Postby Sister Jennifer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Was thinking Eric Bana would make a good Vimes. He's the right ageish, he's a great comedian as well as drama actor.

Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Quatermass » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:17 am

I actually just had a flash of inspiration as to who should play Vimes.

Christopher Eccleston. He's got that hard edge, and the 'damaged goods' element. Whaddya reckon?
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Sister Jennifer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:44 am

I reckon you might have something there.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Jinx » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:50 pm

I could see Robert Lindsay playing a cracking Vimes myself.
I can't match Sybil to an actress, nor Carrot to an actor.
I can see Donald Sumpter as Willikins (there was someone else, but I tend to forget who).
Liam Cunningham or possibly Mac McDonald as Colon. Or - and only because you put me in mind of him above by mentioning a completely unrelated phone advert ;) - Bob Hoskins.
Perry Fenwick as Nobby
Jinx

Postby Ghost » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:40 pm

I'm afraid Bob Hoskins is in retirement after his diagnosis with Parkinson's
Ghost

Postby MissVetinari » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:47 am

I've been thinking about this for some time, and Nathaniel Parker (who appeared in Stardust) (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0662511/?ref_=tt_cl_t13) would be a great Sam Vimes. He would do the anger, sadness and sweetness, that are Vimes, justice.
MissVetinari

Postby pip » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:51 am

Not a bad idea at all. Definitely more of the older look than some of the casting options
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby MissVetinari » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:00 pm

PS - how about Morgan Freeman for Vetinari?
MissVetinari

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels