The Long War *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Long War *Spoilers*

Postby kizkiz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:24 pm

It occurred to me earlier that a sports match involving natural steppers could be great fun.
Imagine Rooney running at goal, then suddenly vanishing, and reappearing just in front of goal for the tap in. lol
kizkiz

Postby Quatermass » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:26 am

Just finished reading it, and I was surprised by the negative comments. While it is true that it's far from perfect, it feels at about the same level as The Long Earth, albeit for different reasons. I thought that the examination of how Stepping would affect politics was better than it was in the previous book, and the new species were welcome. But the sense of wonder has diminished, and the humour is not quite there either. Anyone else get the feeling that Stephen Baxter is the one doing most of the writing here? :think:

Overall, pretty good book.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:10 am

I'm still enjoying it. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:17 am

I actually forgot to mention this, but there's a joke at one point in the book about a twain's bosun being called Higgs, right? Well, in an obscure fashion, that joke was already done in the Girl Genius comic. There's a character called Airman 3rd Class Higgs, whose naval equivalent rank would be a bosun.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:32 am

Q, I think it's got more to do with the Higgs Boson elementary particle. :)

Edit - I think that's what you are saying though. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:55 am

Tonyblack wrote:Q, I think it's got more to do with the Higgs Boson elementary particle. :)

Edit - I think that's what you are saying though. :?

Uhh, yes. I said that the joke had been done before. I just didn't want to spoil the pun. :|

How did someone put it? Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You may understand it better, but it's rather messy and humourless afterwards. :roll:

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:56 am

Well this is the spoilers thread.
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:57 am

Tonyblack wrote:Well this is the spoilers thread.

I prefer to spoil plot points, not jokes. :P

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Tiffany » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Quatermass wrote:Just finished reading it, and I was surprised by the negative comments. While it is true that it's far from perfect, it feels at about the same level as The Long Earth, albeit for different reasons. I thought that the examination of how Stepping would affect politics was better than it was in the previous book, and the new species were welcome. But the sense of wonder has diminished, and the humour is not quite there either. Anyone else get the feeling that Stephen Baxter is the one doing most of the writing here? :think:

Overall, pretty good book.

Yes, me. :shock:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby pip » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:35 pm

Finished it this morning. Its not bad but its not great. Some of the ideas in it are frankly crap to be honest. Its not that they're out there or anything , they're just not interesting in how they are written or portrayed. Ending was only ok and the whole War that's more of a cold war that never gets going made the book as a whole quite boring for large chunks.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby pip » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:35 am

Posted my review here -
The Long War

Even on a bit of reflection I'm still underwhelmed by the whole thing. Sadly I'll probably still buy the final part though.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raisindot » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Haven't read any previous messages because I want to avoid the spoilers, but I just started reading this. I'm about halfway through and still waiting for something to happen. Baxter must be borrowing from the George R. R. Martin school of endless new character introductions with long, uninteresting backstories and pages of long-winded exposition that go nowhere and clumsy pontificating from one-dimensional side characters. I really do hope this gets better and isn't just a 'transitional' book setting up for a third.
raisindot

Postby pip » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:56 pm

Good luck with that Raisin ;)
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tiffany » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:43 pm

pip wrote:Good luck with that Raisin ;)

Yeh! Good luck. :|
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Molokov » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:30 am

Finally finished it last night.

To be honest, I quite enjoyed it. It was a similar feel to The Long Earth (i.e., a slow journey of exploration, rather than a plot that actually goes somewhere coherent) but definitely felt much more exciting this time around - Joshua's situation with the beagles was enough of an exciting climax for me that still held a good sense of urgency.

I think it was just a little bit better than The Long Earth.

Yes, it is not the same as Terry's other books but I don't think it has to be.
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books