Raising Steam

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Raising Steam

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:10 pm

Very droll Tony. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jussi » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:24 pm

Release date is October 24th.

Change is afoot in Ankh-Morpork - Discworld's first steam engine has arrived, and once again Moist von Lipwig finds himself with a new and challenging job.

The new Discworld novel, the 40th in the series, sees the Disc's first train come steaming into town.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Untitled-Terry- ... 18&sr=1-25
Jussi

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:41 pm

That sounds about right. Terry usually brings a book out in October. :) Thanks for the info.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:43 pm

And maybe the next one will be about an underground tube, sure to be a dwarf one digging all the tunnels out. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby michelanCello » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:07 am

Birthday present! Image
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:38 pm

From Transworld confirming it.

Transworld Books ‏@TransworldBooks 14h BREAKING NEWS. We're thrilled to announce that Terry Pratchett's 40th #discworld novel #raisingsteam will be published October 24th 2013. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby AgProv » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:09 am

Just hoping, really really hoping, it doesn't fall as flat and as unconvincing as the Discworld story in "Science of Discworld 4". I read that with some dismay - it didn't read as if Terry had written it (Rhianna? Rob?) - It didn't seem to be in the classic Pratchett voice, somehow. That read like indifferent to slightly good fan fic, to be honest. I just hope he got the mojo back for this one...
Used to be too clever by half, but by virtue of consistent drinking, now only too clever by about a quarter. Banned from all BBC messageboards for being too much of an "uncceptable editorial risk".
AgProv

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:36 am

But they are completely different styles of writing due to the number of authors involved, I'm listening to it just now on audio book read by Michael Fenton Stevens love it, while there is more science than Disworld it's not distracting from the enjoyment for me as I dont buy them just for the Discworld chapters. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:50 pm

Totally agree with you Dug - DW Science and unadorned Discworld are different animals and should be treated as such.

I do understand the 'quality' concern though because Snuff - while being a good ride overall - definitely lacked that special Pratchett snappy sparkle, mainly I think due to the embuggerance and the need to rely on voice-recognition software. Although in some ways it's helped with Terry's narrative writing it's taken an alarming toll on Vimeses dialogue at the very least and as that's crucial to Snuff I was increasingly irritated by the wordy running commentary he started spouted during bits where he really wouldn't have wasted his time (until it was over) - like nattering on while fighting the bolshie blacksmith or Stratford... :roll: Vimes is a man of action not a feckin' lecturer! :P

Having said that the new style would perhaps suit Vetinari or Moist better since they're both superlative verbal wordsmiths (I still think Moist's too oily mind! :twisted: ) so on the whole I'm looking forward to Raising Steam, especially as I'M certain that's going to be the theme for the Manchester convention :dance:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby =Tamar » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:55 am

Well, you can't tell much from the first 30 pages (at "bedtime stories" over Skype etc), but there is definitely some sort of steam engine involved, and the Undertaking is mentioned. No further details. They're still polishing it so there's no way to tell how much will be changed from what we heard.
=Tamar

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:03 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:And maybe the next one will be about an underground tube, sure to be a dwarf one digging all the tunnels out. :lol:

Blimey, think of all the £s we could have saved on the Channel Tunnel if they'd just employed Dwarfs? :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby raisindot » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:25 pm

Okay, here are my predictions about the book, without knowing anything about the plot. Come back here in October and see if any are right.

1. Vetinari will assign Moist to take over the Undertaking project because its current progress is too slow.

2. The steam engine will be created not by dwarfs (who would oppose machine replacements of manual labor) but some odd inventors, possibly Hubert and Igor.

3. There will some kind of conflict between golems, dwarfs, humans and the idea of the steam engine, which would replace human workers with totally inorganic machines.

4. Harry King will be an important character in the story, one of the chief sponsors of the Undertaking.

5. "Stampmaster" Stanley will become one of the biggest advocates of steam engine power and embrace a new hobby obsession of model steam engine set collection

6. The exploration of the "Undertaking" made possible by the engine will unearth some kind of ancient civilization that predates Ankh Morpork and spur a battle between those who want to plunder its wealth and those who want to preserve it. Or perhaps a race of beings living down there that will create a conflict with those wishing to forcibly move them from their homes. Expect long-winded philosophical discussions from Vetinari on the subject of progress vs. preservation.

7. Some capitalist villain a la Gilt will emerge who will be the chief advocate for using the steam engine to take away jobs and destroying what is found "underground."

8. Moist will take the side of the preservationists and the anti-steam faction, after originally being a strong advocate for it. In the end, he will figure out a way to use the steam engine beneficially

9. The book will begin with Moist as a thoroughly 'housebroken' member of the middle class who has thoroughly purged all of his 'adventurous' impulses. Vetinari will assign him to the Undertaking project as a way of reinvigorating his entrepreneurial and showman qualities.

10. If Moist and Adorabelle are not married by this time, the whole conflict between preservation and progress will drive a wedge between them that will be magically resolved when they both find themselves on the same side at the end.
raisindot

Postby DreadfulKata » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:40 pm

After rereading Thud! (where the Undertaking was first set up), I was left wondering about the whole 'steam' aspect: one of the plot points established in T! is that one of the dwarvish devices discovered and given to the city is basically a perpetual motion machine. To quote:

"'How interesting,' said Vetinari. 'Hauling trucks? Underground, you say?'
'Oh yes,' said Carrott. 'Even with miners in.'
'I shall give this some thought,' said Vetinari, avoid Mr. Pony's outstretched hand. 'And what could we make it do in this city?'
He and Carrott turned questioning faces to Mr. Pony, who shrugged and said, 'Everything?'"

So the impression given is that Vetinari's having the beginnings of a notion to use the device to create an Ankh-Morpork Underground. No need for steam trains.

Personally I wouldn't mind if the idea of the dwarvish engine has been thrown out: it immediately seemed a little shark-jumpy to introduce a perpetual motion machine to Ankh-Morkpork. Everything that has made A-M great over the years is from the characters having to address real-life problems and Pratchett coming up with hilarious and inventive ideas for that.
DreadfulKata

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:17 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:And maybe the next one will be about an underground tube, sure to be a dwarf one digging all the tunnels out. :lol:

Blimey, think of all the £s we could have saved on the Channel Tunnel if they'd just employed Dwarfs? :lol:

If it came about Bouncy do tink the Dwarfs would speak with an accent the pip might be familar with. ;) :whistle: :whistle:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby pip » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:21 am

Tarmac your drive mister :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels