Discworld radio plays...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Discworld radio plays...

Postby Quatermass » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:32 am

I know that there were a bunch of Discworld novels done as radio plays for the BBC, including Guards! Guards! and Mort. Are these available at all on CD anywhere?
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Re: Discworld radio plays...

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:23 am

No they're not. :( I think the BBC are missing out on a great opportunity to cash in by not making them available.

I've found them all to be very good. Radio being an excellent medium for Fantasy.

I've downloaded a program called "Radio Downloader" that can be programmed to save such items. Once you mark a particular show you are interested in, it will automatically save them for you.

As well as several adaptations of Discworld books, there was also a very good one of Nation.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:09 pm

They might not have permission to sell them Tony.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Who? The BBC? I thought the Beeb made them. :think:
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:21 pm

Licensing is a peculiar thing - they may have only had permission to produce/adapt/dramatise for radio only? I expect there's no radio version available on a 'permanent' format as it's in competition with Transworld's audio book versions perhaps?
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:27 pm

That was along the lines I was thinking Jan.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:37 pm

These are dramatized plays of the books - not readings in competition with the audiobooks. It would be the equivalent of Sky TV showing the Discworld films on TV but not making DVDs of them. Makes no sense to me at all.
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:44 pm

In that case Tony it's probably more to do with format - like Stephen Briggs has permission to adapt the books into stage plays but people who want to perform his plays still have to seek permission to stage their own productions (whether this includes permission from Colin Smythe/Transworld too I wouldn't know :roll: ).

In other words I think that they probably only had a license to broadcast (and maybe repeats on air) and it's another matter as to whether they can sell it as a recording on CD - although maybe the Beeb doesn't have such deep pockets (or such good merchandising lawyers) as Sky? :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Return to Discworld novels