Dogs !! Silly Dogs !! Funny Dogs !!! Cute Dogs !!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Dogs !! Silly Dogs !! Funny Dogs !!! Cute Dogs !!

Postby chris.ph » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Penfold » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:45 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:36 am

:lol:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:06 am

Love it!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Ghost » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:54 pm

Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Broccolee » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:37 pm

My kids want a dog....and I mean want.We're up to the stage where they have accepted the offer of an as yet unborn pup from the dog of a best friend and the whole "...and I'll give you all my pocket money" promises.
What should I do?How much does a dog really cost?
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
Broccolee

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Dogs are going to take a lot of work, Broc. My kids were all like that about getting a dog, but it was me that ended up having to walk it, feed it and clean up after it. How much it's going to cost will depend on how big it is. Also vet bills etc.

It's not going to be cheap.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi Broc, good to see you around. It rather depends on the dog. Small = lower food bills but can have other problems. There are always vet bills regardless of size and they can certainly mount up in the UK I don't know what it's like in Germany. Is there pet insurance you can buy that would cover the more scary bills when they happen? Certain breeds are prone to specific problems so check that out first; the last thing you need is one of the heavily inbred varieties which have huge vetinary bills built in.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Broccolee » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:03 pm

That's what is worrying me most...I love going for walks,especially very early in the morning and late in the evening,but I don't dare because I'm too scared to go alone,as we have several queer sorts of places not too far from here.
With a dog,that wouldnt be a problem.The teaching a sound dog needs seems to be monumental and will take a lot of my time.
But the real headache is the money.My neighbour always used to cut the cost and keep her dog healthy by cooking his food herself once a month and freezing the portions in margerine tubs.Still there's the cost for the vaccination,the tax and the insurance to think of.
You need a dog insurance here anyway in case they cause an accident.

The dog itself would be a dream dog,I can understand why the kids want it.The mum is one of the sweetest dogs you ever met,a small Portugal-street dog Lab-mix with a gold coat and floppy ears.
The dad is a chocolate coloured Lab-Münsterland mix with a lovely silky coat,floppy ears,and eyebrows.(I personally love dogs with eyebrows).
Lots of lovely dogs rolled into one,so to speak.And not too small,either.
Broccolee

Postby janet » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:51 am

As a single mum with limited income (I've been there, done that etc) I would strongly recommend you grit your teeth and say no to the puppy for now. It might make you very unpopular with the children, but having to part with the dog at some point down the line because you can't afford it will be SOOOO much worse as you will have become extremely fond of the little critter by then.
Sorry Broc, probably not what you want to hear :(
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Broccolee » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:26 am

No,Janet,that's fine.I did ask your opinion,didn't I ?
I agree with you on all points.I was having reservations myself.It would have meant missing out on so many other things.I'm glad we managed to arrange another little England trip as it is.
I'm looking forward to it so much,and having a dog would make trips like this very difficult.
I just know myself.I'm bad at saying no to four pairs of big blue eyes and worse still at saying no to a pair of floppy ears and eyebrows. :D
Broccolee

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:22 am

Hi Broc.
Having had Labs before lovely dogs, my absolute favorite breed, need to be exersised they love to swim, very intelligent eat a lot if you let them always want to carry things, bring you the mail newspaper etc can be prone to rear leg problems when older, great with children of all ages, ask your friend for more info on injections ect required, very loyal if you got one and decided later it's not feasible you would break the dogs heart, so you need to think very carefully before commiting yourself.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:22 pm

I know how you feel Broc! Vivian sometimes begs for a dog, offers all the money in her piggy bank, the whole deal. We love dogs, but just aren't ready to deal with the work and expense right now. Big or small, they're expensive. Small dogs seem to have more serious health issues and large dogs eat large amounts of food. We used to have a Samoyed and one grooming session would be over $100!! Not to mention boarding when you travel and, while not an expense, poop patrol. :roll: We are so lucky to have neighbors who let the girls play with their dog. We also watch him when they're out of town. On Friday at hubby's company it was adopt a pet day. He fell in love with and almost brought home two Great Danes! :shock: He said the only thing that stopped him was the fact that we have a long trip coming up. We'll be gone for almost 3 weeks out west.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Ghost » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum